Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2952294 times)

Offline MarekCyzio

I'm at Port Canaveral right now and there is some activity on ASDS - people in orange vests walking, I think they are getting ready.

« Last Edit: 02/18/2016 04:57 pm by MarekCyzio »

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2375
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #5961 on: 02/18/2016 05:39 pm »
Bored waiting for the ASDS to do something?  Vote in the poll about what will happen to the ASDS on the next landing attempt.  (it is more fun when people participate, so this is shameless self promotion of the poll I just created).
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39614.0
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline MarekCyzio

Full resolution photo - note shamrock on blast wall ;)

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #5963 on: 02/18/2016 11:16 pm »

Now big enough to be seen by first stage and behave ;) And D'aww look at that cute cherrypicker hiding! Don't be afraid buddy   :-/

"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #5964 on: 02/18/2016 11:38 pm »
looks like theyve got a couple pallet sized boxes on deck. and perhaps a portable light/generator. and maybe a welder.

my gut wants to say they're welding d-rings to the deck but thats pure speculation
« Last Edit: 02/18/2016 11:42 pm by dorkmo »

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #5965 on: 02/18/2016 11:55 pm »
My guess is that those light poles are 100 feet tall, and the large white horizontal counter balance beam of the crane is at about 100 feet above the deck, as I try to picture the Falcon 9 first stage standing on the barge. I'm looking forward to a photo of the landed stage on the barge.

[edit add].... Anybody skilled with photoshop, who might superimpose the picture of the landed F9 first stage on to this barge.... That would be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: 02/18/2016 11:59 pm by Retired Downrange »

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
« Reply #5966 on: 02/19/2016 09:31 am »

It is not a shamrock it is a four-leaf clover. A shamrock has three leafs and represents Christianity in Ireland, four-leaf clover is for good luck.
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline MarekCyzio

Go Quest is already here.

Offline MarekCyzio

Looks like these may be jacks to stabilize F9.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21322
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #5969 on: 02/19/2016 04:20 pm »
Never understood why they went to Jax in the first place.

Offline dorkmo

« Reply #5970 on: 02/19/2016 04:39 pm »

welp that settles it

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #5971 on: 02/19/2016 04:43 pm »
Go Quest is already here.

They look busy with something on OCISLY deck Dorkmo.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2016 04:43 pm by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline MarekCyzio

I'm not at home so I cannot post-process these photos. But this is the best zoom I can get using my phone.

Offline CyndyC

Never understood why they went to Jax in the first place.

Someone who has been part of this thread longer might need or want to add something or to tell you differently, but I think the most popular guesses were that there wasn't a space available at Port Canaveral when SpaceX first wanted one, and then JAXPORT required a 1 year lease, and/or because JAXPORT was closer to the necessary landing zones for a time.

From a Jacksonville perspective, big score for JAXPORT & the city, and a big thrill to play a closer part while it lasted, so no complaints here. I used to suspect SpaceX might be enjoying thinking on the side they were waking us up too, which they probably did to an unknown degree, and contributed to Jacksonville's Golden Age of recent years.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2016 06:49 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #5974 on: 02/19/2016 07:59 pm »

From a Jacksonville perspective, big score for JAXPORT & the city, and a big thrill to play a closer part while it lasted, so no complaints here. I used to suspect SpaceX might be enjoying thinking on the side they were waking us up too, which they probably did to an unknown degree, and contributed to Jacksonville's Golden Age of recent years.

How so?  An intact recovered stage never made it there.  Take the name off and it is just another barge in the port.

Offline CyndyC

How so?  An intact recovered stage never made it there.  Take the name off and it is just another barge in the port.

Public marketing image by association, for one, including global, since the name wasn't taken off, I suppose, and Jacksonville leadership has been driving hard to attract businesses from around the world to move here, with quite a bit of success I might add. Our local newscasters had some fun with the barge too, to the benefit of their large local audiences. You must be making an oblique reference to Shakespeare and the philosophical question, "What's in a name?" Would a barge by any other name smell as sweet? No, you're right, it wouldn't to anyone except port employees.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #5976 on: 02/19/2016 09:44 pm »

To me these look like the mount that the rocket will be placed on, once it is lifted off the barge. Once attached, the legs can be removed to allow the stage to be rotated horizontal. There was a similar structure at Jax and it looks very similar to the mount at MacGregor from which F9R launched. I'm guessing the blue devices on top are the equivalent of the hold downs on the pad.
Douglas Clark

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #5977 on: 02/19/2016 09:48 pm »
Public marketing image by association, for one, including global, since the name wasn't taken off, I suppose, and Jacksonville leadership has been driving hard to attract businesses from around the world to move here, with quite a bit of success I might add.

Didn't see that way.  Must have been just a local thing.  I didn't see any heighten awareness of JAX, here or in other markets. 

Offline dorkmo

« Reply #5978 on: 02/19/2016 11:03 pm »

I'm not at home so I cannot post-process these photos. But this is the best zoom I can get using my phone.

looks like someones welding on the back end. maybe repairs or something custom? couple other people on deck.

also thats a big daddy air compressor on deck...

https://www.unitedrentals.com/en/catalog/equipment-tools/air-compressors-air-tools/air-compressors/compressor-1600-1800-cfm-4794

http://www.doosanportablepower.com/en/products/air-compressors/outside-US/XHP750WCAT-T3
Free Air Delivery:
750 cfm (21.2 m/min)
Pressure:
300 psig (20.7 bar)

possible uses? pneumatic tools? sand blasting?
are they taking out to sea? not sure why they wouldnt put it on ASDS deck if they were going to use it there, unless theyre out of space and was a last minute idea.

cant think of a reason why it would be nescessaray but perhaps could be used to regulate leg pistons while they secure the falcon?

or craziest idea i could come up with: theyre installing umbillical air line that will run from the tug to the ASDS to keep the falcon tanks pressurized durring the long trip back.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2016 11:21 pm by dorkmo »

Offline Joaosg

ELSBTH III left port just now at 4.1 - 5 knt

Here we go!

Edit: Past track and speed reveals that she almost certainly has OCISLY

Edit 2: Now I noticed that the AIS says destination JAX.. That's awkward she certainly doesn't look to be heading north for now, and the speed is compatible with towing... We missed the webcam of port Canaveral. Any chance to take a look at old footage from the portcanaveralwebcam? 

EDIT 3: Confirmation. OSCILY is gone

« Last Edit: 02/20/2016 12:56 am by Joaosg »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography