Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2398247 times)

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #940 on: 01/11/2015 06:47 PM »
I think there could easily be an engine under those tarps... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I do wonder if the puddle in the middle of the deck represents a dent where the rocket impacted. If so, accuracy is certainly spot on. Alternatively, if it did smack right into the support equipment, my "Close to the edge, round by the corner" prediction was spot on :P
« Last Edit: 01/11/2015 06:48 PM by NovaSilisko »

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1236
  • Likes Given: 3346
« Reply #941 on: 01/11/2015 06:48 PM »
Looks like it hit that GPS sensor in the corner dead on. Too bad it wasnt mounted at the X in the middle ;-)

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4213
« Reply #942 on: 01/11/2015 06:48 PM »
I do wonder if the puddle in the middle of the deck represents a dent where the rocket impacted. If so, accuracy is certainly spot on.

My initial thought as well.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #943 on: 01/11/2015 06:49 PM »
From the visible signs of damage, looks like much of the tankage was not recovered, and that the hit was to the far rght side of the barge from this picture's perspective.  Doesn't look like it will take long to repair the obvious damage, but of course we can't see everything (especially what's covered by the tarps).

I think the poll winner for location would be "hit the barge but not in the center".
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline JamesH

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 283
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #944 on: 01/11/2015 06:49 PM »
The paint job is fine - it came down too low, trying to reach center-barge when it ran out of altitude.

If it hit the corner, than some pieces would have stayed above board, but most of the rocket would have tumbled out probably.  Maybe.  Just first impression.

This sounds like a good explanation for the dents in the side of the brown container. (http://spaceflightnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/asds_2.jpg)

Seriously impressive for a first attempt.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2015 06:50 PM by JamesH »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2768
  • Likes Given: 7209
« Reply #945 on: 01/11/2015 06:50 PM »
I think there could easily be an engine under those tarps... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I do wonder if the puddle in the middle of the deck represents a dent where the rocket impacted. If so, accuracy is certainly spot on. Alternatively, if it did smack right into the support equipment, my "Close to the edge, round by the corner" prediction was spot on :P
That was my first impression as well and then it toppled over on to the equipment... Who knows??
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #946 on: 01/11/2015 06:52 PM »
Can someone superimpose a scale drawing of the falcon first stage on top of the top view of the barge?  If the stage did hit at the puddle and tip, would it have reached the containers on the far side?

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 2543
« Reply #947 on: 01/11/2015 06:55 PM »
IMHO It doesn't look there is an engine there, the octaweb should have sunk as one unit. More probable these are parts of the interstage.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2015 06:56 PM by cartman »

I do wonder if the puddle in the middle of the deck represents a dent where the rocket impacted. If so, accuracy is certainly spot on.

That puddle was there when it first showed up in Jacksonville. So we can stop guesses in that direction.

Offline drsnooker

• USA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #949 on: 01/11/2015 06:56 PM »
I'm hoping they helicoptered the octoweb off to an undisclosed location away from prying eyes and ITAR protection.

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 1942
« Reply #950 on: 01/11/2015 06:58 PM »
Can someone superimpose a scale drawing of the falcon first stage on top of the top view of the barge?  If the stage did hit at the puddle and tip, would it have reached the containers on the far side?
The paint on the deck is intact, so hardly this happened.

Though the yellow rail shows impact from the direction of the center of the barge, which is hard to explain...

May be Elon will tweet a video from descending first stage... :)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #951 on: 01/11/2015 07:05 PM »
The paint on the deck is intact, so hardly this happened.

Though the yellow rail shows impact from the direction of the center of the barge, which is hard to explain...

I didn't mean to be so specific about my scenario.  I was asking for the diagram so that I could evaluate scenarios *similar to* this.   If the stage caught a leg going over the container side and tipped, how far into the barge would the interstage end up?  Given that part of the stage was above the visibly damaged containers, what are the possible orientations that would have put part of the stage there?

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
« Reply #952 on: 01/11/2015 07:08 PM »
Center dent aligns!
« Last Edit: 01/11/2015 07:16 PM by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Online kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #953 on: 01/11/2015 07:11 PM »
My thoughts on the photos and the damage at the stern end (?) was that the stage over shot the main deck, hit the equipment bays and the cherry picker and then went boom, leaving some bits behind and the rest over the side. 

hat's off to Space X though. Damn fine first attempt.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1579
  • Likes Given: 4217
« Reply #954 on: 01/11/2015 07:11 PM »
From Elon

@elonmusk: Didn't get good landing/impact video. Pitch dark and foggy. Will piece it together from telemetry and ... actual pieces.
Another explosion, another missing video.  What are the odds?  :)

But I see these landing experiments as an interesting side-show.  The real news continues to be the repetitive success of this launch vehicle.

- Ed Kyle

What Ed said. "It was pitch dark" Except for the blazing rocket engine. Which cranks out a lot of lumens.
Most video devices are horrible at dealing with extreme dynamic range, and you can't get much more extreme than a pitch black foggy night and a rocket engine.  There may be video of a bright flame and then a flash at impact but good luck seeing much more than that.

People really overestimate the value of video from SpaceX's perspective.  As I've tried to point out many times, telemetry is what matters.  Video is crap, it's not like the old days of super high speed film and quality lenses.  A successful landing is good PR.  Everything else is entertainment and SpaceX isn't in business for our entertainment.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #955 on: 01/11/2015 07:12 PM »

That puddle was there when it first showed up in Jacksonville. So we can stop guesses in that direction.
The "puddle police" are on the case... ;D

Offline alang

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #956 on: 01/11/2015 07:14 PM »
Maybe the legs/engines got caught up in the containers at the stern then the momentum caused the column to break while tipping forward and  then the now separated octaweb fell astern.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4686
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #957 on: 01/11/2015 07:15 PM »
WoW

10 meter from success !!!!  ;D ;D

Classic....

What I'd love to know is whether the engine were above or under deck height when it hit.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Caveman
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 5468
« Reply #958 on: 01/11/2015 07:16 PM »
My thoughts on the photos and the damage at the stern end (?) was that the stage over shot the main deck, hit the equipment bays and the cherry picker and then went boom, leaving some bits behind and the rest over the side. 

Or conversely it was coming in from behind, lost control, drifting off to the side, compensated but not enough and arced into the rear corner... will be interesting either way...
"Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou
 Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #959 on: 01/11/2015 07:20 PM »

Or conversely it was coming in from behind, lost control, drifting off to the side, compensated but not enough and arced into the rear corner... will be interesting either way...
"picking up some dust... drifting to right a little..." ;D

Tags: