Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2397316 times)

Online speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1281
  • Likes Given: 1398
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #740 on: 01/08/2015 02:34 PM »
From the application for a new pad at Canaveral.
http://www.patrick.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-141107-004.pdf

'Although propellants would be burned to exhaustion during fight, there is the potential for 15 gallons of LOX, and 150 gallons of RP1 to remain in the falcon 9 after landing'.

That seems ... impressively small, and addresses some of the concerns raised about 'safing' the rocket, and potential hazards.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2534
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #741 on: 01/08/2015 02:43 PM »
Isn't it a bit soon for it to leave if it is going to be used Saturday? Maybe it is going somewhere else

No, it's been standard practice for the barge to leave port 3 days in advance.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 03:28 PM by Kabloona »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #742 on: 01/08/2015 02:47 PM »
There's already a thread for the LC13 landing site info.  And in fact information from it has been mentioned here twice before.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 04:44 PM by cscott »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #743 on: 01/08/2015 02:52 PM »
There's already a thread for this.  And in fact information from it has been mentioned here twice before.

Sorry, missed that. Suggestion retracted.  ;)

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 321
« Reply #744 on: 01/08/2015 03:21 PM »
Elsbeth is doing another "figure-8"... roughly the same place... Seems to prepare to go to open sea...
So they only returned for getting new supplies (fuel and such)?

Offline cscott

« Reply #745 on: 01/08/2015 03:31 PM »
Sounds like this is what they will do with the stage when it returns on the barge (from the LC-13 document mentioned above.) Not any surprise, but it confirms speculation about how the stage would be safed after barge landing and handled after return to port:

.   Safing activities would begin upon completion of all landing activities and engine shutdown. The LOX oxidizer system would be purged, and any excess fuel would be drained into a suitable truck mounted container or tanker. Any remaining pressurants (i.e., helium or nitrogen) would be vented, and any FTS explosives would also be rendered “inert” prior to declaring the vehicle safe. The vehicle would then be lifted and placed on to the stand; the landing legs would then be removed or folded back into place. The vehicle would then be lowered into a horizontal position, placed on a transport vehicle and taken to a SpaceX facility.

You do realize this is an almost verbatim copy of the post I wrote, linked in the bit you quote in your own post (the word 'before').

EDIT: sorry for being so short with you, Kabloona.  Leaving this quote of your original post here just in case others missed the info the first time.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 04:48 PM by cscott »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
« Reply #746 on: 01/08/2015 03:33 PM »
ElsbethIII on her way Go quest still at port. And chase boat is back and was fished out.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #747 on: 01/08/2015 03:38 PM »
Sounds like this is what they will do with the stage when it returns on the barge (from the LC-13 document mentioned above.) Not any surprise, but it confirms speculation about how the stage would be safed after barge landing and handled after return to port:

.   Safing activities would begin upon completion of all landing activities and engine shutdown. The LOX oxidizer system would be purged, and any excess fuel would be drained into a suitable truck mounted container or tanker. Any remaining pressurants (i.e., helium or nitrogen) would be vented, and any FTS explosives would also be rendered “inert” prior to declaring the vehicle safe. The vehicle would then be lifted and placed on to the stand; the landing legs would then be removed or folded back into place. The vehicle would then be lowered into a horizontal position, placed on a transport vehicle and taken to a SpaceX facility.

You do realize this is an almost verbatim copy of the post I wrote, linked in the bit you quote in your own post (the word 'before').

Makes me feel like nobody is actually reading my posts.  Maybe I need to start including webcam photos of the ASDS in them.

Sorry, no, honestly, I didn't see your earlier post. I got up late this morning Deleting mine now.  ;)

And if it helps, I always read your posts when I see them and always agree with you. Didn't mean to step on any toes.  :-[
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 03:42 PM by Kabloona »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4657
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #748 on: 01/08/2015 03:39 PM »
I now worry about lightning protection while enroute.

Can a vertical salt water jet help in any way?
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 03:41 PM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #749 on: 01/08/2015 03:41 PM »
Past the APM terminal.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 03:48 PM by Ohsin »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #750 on: 01/08/2015 03:44 PM »
Looks like Elsbeth III is towing and Gregg Mcallister is pushing.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 03:45 PM by Kabloona »

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #751 on: 01/08/2015 05:01 PM »
Go Quest on move
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 05:10 PM by Ohsin »

Offline NotOnImpact

• Texas
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #752 on: 01/08/2015 05:16 PM »

Oh, look at the ramps in the water to access the underside of the overhangs. I hadn't seen that before.

So perhaps they are spinning the barge 180 degrees to get to the underside.

I am thinking those are in place to keep the barge far enough away from the dock so that the girders that hold up the wings don't come into contact with the dock.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4200
« Reply #753 on: 01/08/2015 05:28 PM »

Oh, look at the ramps in the water to access the underside of the overhangs. I hadn't seen that before.

So perhaps they are spinning the barge 180 degrees to get to the underside.

I am thinking those are in place to keep the barge far enough away from the dock so that the girders that hold up the wings don't come into contact with the dock.

Okay, that actually makes more sense. A strong wave and the barge would just ride up the ramp.
Good call.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #754 on: 01/08/2015 05:46 PM »
Looks like Elsbeth III is towing and Gregg Mcallister is pushing.

Gregg Mcallister returning to port. Elsbeth III headed out to sea, with GO Quest a few miles behind.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 05:48 PM by Kabloona »

Online Mongo62

• Liked: 591
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #755 on: 01/08/2015 08:16 PM »
Have not seen this link here. A great compilation of video footage from multiple viewpoints of BargeX being towed to its destination today. In the last sequence, which starts at 1:19 and takes up the bulk of the total length, it takes a while for BargeX to become visible (it's finally fully visible at 2:42), but it's worth the wait.

« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 08:28 PM by Mongo62 »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1523
  • Likes Given: 1258
« Reply #756 on: 01/08/2015 08:35 PM »
Have not seen this link here. A great compilation of video footage from multiple viewpoints of BargeX being towed to its destination today. In the last sequence, which starts at 1:19 and takes up the bulk of the total length, it takes a while for BargeX to become visible (it's finally fully visible at 2:42), but it's worth the wait.

Really cool
One thing to notice is the clear visibility of the tow line.  Granted that these images were from close range and at very low angle, but they show that the line would disturb the water enough to be visible.  There was some debate about the arial photo of the ASDS out near its "station".  Some insisted that it was moving itself.  Some thought that it could be under tow.  Not only does the length of the tow line in the video suggest that any tug would have been in the frame, the interaction of the tow line with the water would very likely have been visible.  So no tug, line, or waves from either weighs heavily in favor of the ASDS having been operating autonomously. 
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline cscott

« Reply #757 on: 01/08/2015 09:08 PM »

Really cool
One thing to notice is the clear visibility of the tow line.  Granted that these images were from close range and at very low angle, but they show that the line would disturb the water enough to be visible.  There was some debate about the arial photo of the ASDS out near its "station".  Some insisted that it was moving itself.  Some thought that it could be under tow.  Not only does the length of the tow line in the video suggest that any tug would have been in the frame, the interaction of the tow line with the water would very likely have been visible.  So no tug, line, or waves from either weighs heavily in favor of the ASDS having been operating autonomously.

Be careful drawing conclusions.  The "figure 8 maneuvers" seem to indicate a change in towing configuration after the ASDS leaves the channel.  So you can't necessarily assume that the ASDS under tow in the open ocean would look like it does here.

In particular, the ASDS is being pushed by the Gregg McAllister in this video!  We know that Gregg doesn't leave the channel.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2015 09:10 PM by cscott »

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 579
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #758 on: 01/08/2015 09:13 PM »
Go Quest is now reported as being "out of range" on marinetraffic.com.
-- sdsds --

Online cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 2540
« Reply #759 on: 01/08/2015 09:34 PM »
And vesselfinder seems to have lost the station that gave us long range tracking of our boats, now nothing is showing more than a few miles away from coast

Tags: