Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2397219 times)

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 435
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #220 on: 12/24/2014 06:24 PM »
The yellow wall seems to me a stonger one than only keeping some water on the deck.
Maybe this is to stop the slightly slipping rocket if necessary?

Online Eer

• Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #221 on: 12/24/2014 06:50 PM »
Okay - taking a look at some of the Canon pictures. 

IMG_2176.JPG has a rather wide view of the barge deck, and you can even see the X in the center.

Perhaps, if you zoom into it, you might glean something about the deck construction.  Note all the cleats or are they hinges in lines across the deck...

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #222 on: 12/24/2014 06:52 PM »
Seems like in more than one of these photos the guys working on the barge are looking right at the camera/you.

Online Eer

« Reply #223 on: 12/24/2014 06:53 PM »
Canon images IMG_2178 and IMG_2177 of the starboard stern quarter of the barge - slightly offset - hoping someone might be able to get value from using them to create a stereo image ...

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
« Reply #224 on: 12/24/2014 06:58 PM »
The yellow wall seems to me a stonger one than only keeping some water on the deck.

I-Beam painted yellow.

DSC00229.JPG bring new stuff in light! There are four yellow boxes one is 'National Oilwell Varco' fuel tank and other three unidentified yellow boxes can be seen here ..They are by NOV as well. I saw one of their offshore generators it was different design.

Also that binocular like dual sensor camera thingy that I mentioned here is also visible from behind! They are visible in IMG_2176.JPG as well next to Elsbeth III's mast and yeah one more normal CCTV .. So we have at least two CCTV's visible plus this dual sensor thing.

Two prong like bars are partly visible on most containers can be seen in this image .. they don't appear to be stairs.
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 07:09 PM by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Online Eer

« Reply #225 on: 12/24/2014 07:04 PM »
Canon shots of the port bow corner

Online Eer

« Reply #226 on: 12/24/2014 07:10 PM »
Canon shot similar to DSC00229

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #227 on: 12/24/2014 07:12 PM »

I-Beam painted yellow.

Yes, that is my guess too. (Only I didn't know it's name in English).

I-Beam with this dimensions is very strong. That is what I wondered.
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 07:14 PM by MTom »

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #228 on: 12/24/2014 07:15 PM »
Hope these have been useful.

Yes, thank you for your work on this.

As we drove away from the site, a truck passed us with a large steel-winged structure - ... My guess is it's nothing...

Nothing related to what we're interested in here.  Its a cast reinforced concrete (and probably pre-stressed) deck truss for either a bridge or parking deck.  I know what it is but I'm not an expert so don't pick on my terminology / description or lack of expertise in the matter  :)

Mark

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #229 on: 12/24/2014 07:20 PM »
Cube-ish container with SAILOR VSAT Dome along with this white hump like thing on top is same on barge and on 'Go Quest'.. Go Quest is remote control room?

Online Eer

« Reply #230 on: 12/24/2014 07:21 PM »
I think this sequence may be the best of the Canon shots showing the barge deck surface from the low angle of the bridge.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #231 on: 12/24/2014 07:27 PM »
Wings dry faster... ::)

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 430
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #232 on: 12/24/2014 07:48 PM »
I still think there is grid. This photo shows that whole contraption on top of barge is half-translucent - difference between "wings" (showing water under it) and main body (showing barge under it) are clearly visible.

If there is no grid, how this difference is explained?
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3522
  • Likes Given: 2176
« Reply #233 on: 12/24/2014 08:03 PM »

White-balanced a little:

And I think this proves rather conclusively that the deck surface is gridded, since we can see through it at this angle even.

What are you seeing through it? I just see reflections from the lights.

Hmm, yes... looks like it was small puddles in the original image that made i look like I could see what was beneath. Never mind!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2534
  • Likes Given: 525
« Reply #234 on: 12/24/2014 08:08 PM »
I still think there is grid. This photo shows that whole contraption on top of barge is half-translucent - difference between "wings" (showing water under it) and main body (showing barge under it) are clearly visible.

Optical illlusion.

Maybe what happened is that SpaceX didn't bother to repaint the old black paint on the main barge deck. But when they added the wings, obviously those new wings had to be painted, black to match the original black paint on the deck.

So you see the contrast between the "new" black paint on the wings and the "old" black paint on the main deck. And as a result, your eye sees a contrast line that matches the outline of the hull shape.

Then your eye interprets that shade difference as "seeing through" to the original hull shape below, or  "translucence." But all you're seeing is the difference between old paint on the original deck and new paint on the wings.
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 08:20 PM by Kabloona »

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 2540
« Reply #235 on: 12/24/2014 08:13 PM »
Well this image shows pretty conclusively that it is not a grid, or if it is then the holes are smaller than the size of the H2O molecule

« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 08:16 PM by cartman »

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #236 on: 12/24/2014 08:30 PM »
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 08:37 PM by Ohsin »

Offline Karlman

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #237 on: 12/24/2014 08:49 PM »
The extensions don't fold up. It is clear.
Docking at the bay, they don't fold.

They're probably safety nets then. If the Booster is only guaranteed to stay within the outer circle and people might have to be that close to the edge, they'd be required.

I'm guessing they are boarding ramps basically?

We see people standing on them in some of EER's canon pics, and they are horizontal, not vertical.
I'm guessing the deck "wings" which horizontal deck structure would not stand up well to repeated bumping into of the pier, or onto the top of the dock. Ships, and barges for other goods such as Grain or Coal usually have sides that vertical, and more conducive to being "tied up" to a pier.

We can see from the cruise ship web cam that the barge is kept from direct contact with the pier/dock, thus creating a gap.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #238 on: 12/24/2014 10:30 PM »
The extensions don't fold up. It is clear.
Docking at the bay, they don't fold.

They're probably safety nets then. If the Booster is only guaranteed to stay within the outer circle and people might have to be that close to the edge, they'd be required.

I'm guessing they are boarding ramps basically?

We see people standing on them in some of EER's canon pics, and they are horizontal, not vertical.
I'm guessing the deck "wings" which horizontal deck structure would not stand up well to repeated bumping into of the pier, or onto the top of the dock. Ships, and barges for other goods such as Grain or Coal usually have sides that vertical, and more conducive to being "tied up" to a pier.

We can see from the cruise ship web cam that the barge is kept from direct contact with the pier/dock, thus creating a gap.

The extensions on the side are outside of the low perimeter retaining wall and will be the only place that people will be able to stand near the central deck once the liquid polymer sticky trap material has flooded the main part of the deck within the yellow retaining wall.  You can see over the course of the day that they have begun to flood the deck with the sticky trap material.  This morning it was only visible as a small puddle near the point of application near the right rear corner but as the day has gone on I've been watching the puddle of sticky trap material get larger and larger though it still hasn't covered the entire surface of the deck within the yellow wall.  I wonder how deep they plan to install the stuff?  I wonder if they are using the slow, medium, or fast version?  Both the fast and medium curing versions have a solvent smell that stinks to high heaven, which is probably why the cruise ship left. Eer, did you smell it?   The application and curing should be done by the first week of January for the landing but they never could have had it installed and cured by the launch last week.  Maybe that's the real reason they delayed the launch.?.

Mark
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 11:30 PM by OxCartMark »

Online Eer

« Reply #239 on: 12/24/2014 10:49 PM »
Smelled nothing, but we were far away and perhaps upwind.

Tags: