Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2398098 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2535
  • Likes Given: 525
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #100 on: 12/18/2014 04:56 PM »
So, Heckscher Drive (FL 105) bridge would provide some views, but better would be to go to the Carnival terminal and see what I can see...

All of Stephen Clark's photos at Spaceflightnow appear to have been taken from the bridge, so he probably couldn't get close enough on land.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #101 on: 12/18/2014 05:32 PM »
Wonder if we can rent the barge out for a Holiday party?

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5467
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #102 on: 12/18/2014 05:43 PM »
Support ship Go Quest pulled back into Jacksonville this morning and docked around 5:20 am at the same dock where she had been with the ASDS previously.

She turned her AIS transponder back on about a mile offshore, so evidently this is going to be standard practice with the support ships, turning AIS transponders off so they cannot be tracked offshore, and turning them back on near port.

The Elsbeth III still has her AIS transponder turned off and so is incommunicado. She left port Tuesday several hours before Go Quest, so I guess she will be back in port later today.

Update: Elsbeth III just came back up on AIS around 8:30 this morning, about 50 miles offshore, heading for Jacksonville.

They have taken up this practice with their Dragon recoveries in the Pacific too.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
« Reply #103 on: 12/18/2014 07:48 PM »
They have taken up this practice with their Dragon recoveries in the Pacific too.

When they were first kitting out the SBX-1, they jerry-rigged one of the rack-mounted devices so that it wouldn't show the GPS coordinates of the vessel on the front panel display, and the last time it sent an AIS update was August 2011. ;)
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #104 on: 12/19/2014 12:32 AM »

When they were first kitting out the SBX-1, they jerry-rigged one of the rack-mounted devices so that it wouldn't show the GPS coordinates of the vessel on the front panel display, and the last time it sent an AIS update was August 2011. ;)

The SPX-1 is the recovery ship for Dragon?  And I'm assuming the captain knows the exact GPS coordinates -- who else is on board who they didn't want to casually see coordinates?

The notices to mariners and the FCC license give a pretty good idea of the first stage landing location.  I wonder why they take the trouble to hide their location -- surely turning off AIS makes things a little more difficult to avoid trouble and/or summon help in case they run into trouble.  Smells like a bureaucratic bit of ITAR to me.  Does anyone know the actual reason?

I'm curious if the exact coordinates of the Orion recovery ships were published?  OTOH those were navy resources, so one would expect a certain level of secrecy there.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1818
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #105 on: 12/19/2014 01:08 AM »

I'm curious if the exact coordinates of the Orion recovery ships were published?  OTOH those were navy resources, so one would expect a certain level of secrecy there.

Plus the Navy has big guns to discourage interlopers.   8)
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #106 on: 12/19/2014 10:26 AM »
The SPX-1 is the recovery ship for Dragon?

SBX-1
« Last Edit: 12/19/2014 10:27 AM by mfck »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #107 on: 12/19/2014 02:52 PM »
Elsbeth III docked this morning at 4:00 am. She and Go Quest are back in their crib...empty.  :'(

Edit: empty meaning "without rocket", not without ASDS, which I assume they brought back.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 01:34 PM by Kabloona »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #108 on: 12/19/2014 03:39 PM »
Elsbeth III docked this morning at 4:00 am. She and Go Quest are back in their crib...empty.  :'(

Maybe they were serious about that "autonomous drone" part, and the barge is out there station-keeping?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #109 on: 12/19/2014 05:14 PM »

Maybe they were serious about that "autonomous drone" part, and the barge is out there station-keeping?

I'm sure they're serious about it being autonomous, but I doubt they'd leave it untended 200 miles out for 2+ weeks. A bad storm or an autopilot failure could knock it into free drift, and then someone has to go out and chase it through the Gulf Stream...assuming the beacon still works and they can actually find it.

Or, they get back out there and find the barge up on cinder blocks with the mag wheels gone.  ;)

(Or better yet, they get back out there and find a bunch of NSFers having a wild party on deck! The possibilities are endless.  ;D)
« Last Edit: 12/19/2014 05:22 PM by Kabloona »

Offline The Roadie

• San Diego
  • Liked: 2150
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #110 on: 12/19/2014 09:12 PM »
(Or better yet, they get back out there and find a bunch of NSFers having a wild party on deck! The possibilities are endless.  ;D )
This sort of party?
« Last Edit: 12/19/2014 09:14 PM by The Roadie »
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Online Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 644
  • Likes Given: 6146
« Reply #111 on: 12/19/2014 11:58 PM »

If Elsbeth III is back in port, without the ASDS; and GoQuest is also, ... 

Then unless they did a tug switch (possible, but not likely), the ASDS is either holding in place, or motoring around a bit on a test drive sea trial of its new propulsion and control system.  Either way, maritime law and customs being what they are, we might assume (but not be absolutely certain) that it is manned during this period.

If it is doing the latter, and not merely holding in place like an oil platform with azimuth thrusters out in one fixed place where the (now future) landing is slated to occur, then the ASDS does fit the technical definition of a ship, rather than a mere schmere barge.

In that case, the Marmac 300 that was refit by SpaceX to become the "Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship" (Elon's name for it) may truly be a ship, and not a barge.

Perhaps it is just a technical distinction, but the Elsbeth III coming back empty does raise the interesting possibility of the ASDS steaming around to shake out the bugs, at 3 knots.
:o

Edited to correct misunderstanding, fixed by Kabloona in next post, but a misimpression shared by other NSFers above.

It appears that, as of right now, we have no evidence one way or the other whether ASDS is back in port, or not.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 04:43 AM by Llian Rhydderch »
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #112 on: 12/20/2014 12:06 AM »
When I said Elsbeth III and Go Quest came back "empty" I meant without a rocket, not without the ASDS.

Yes, I'm only assuming they did not leave the ASDS out motoring around on its own. But forumite Eer said he will be passing through JAX on Tuesday, so he should be able to get a visual.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #113 on: 12/20/2014 01:38 PM »
I have visual confirmation that ASDS is back in port. The Carnival ship Fascination is docked right behind it and has a forward-looking bridge webcam. ASDS is in full view of the webcam:

http://www.cruisin.me/cruisecams/ships/carnival_cruise_lines/carnival_fascination.php

Fascination will be leaving port this afternoon, but will be back in port for departures on Wednesday 24th, then Monday 29th, then Saturday Jan 3rd for more live viewing opportunities.

« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 01:56 PM by Kabloona »

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 2543
« Reply #114 on: 12/20/2014 01:48 PM »
And here is an image from the above webcam

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 1942
« Reply #115 on: 12/20/2014 02:02 PM »
I have visual confirmation that ASDS is back in port. The Carnival ship Fascination is docked right behind it and has a forward-looking bridge webcam. ASDS is in full view of the webcam:

http://www.cruisin.me/cruisecams/ships/carnival_cruise_lines/carnival_fascination.php

Fascination will be leaving port this afternoon, but will be back in port for departures on Wednesday 24th, then Monday 29th, then Saturday Jan 3rd for more live viewing opportunities.
Should you have "sherlock holmes" added to your forum title? No idea how you dug it up, pretty impressive!

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1746
  • Likes Given: 384
« Reply #116 on: 12/20/2014 02:04 PM »
White-balanced a little:

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #117 on: 12/20/2014 02:07 PM »

Should you have "sherlock holmes" added to your forum title? No idea how you dug it up, pretty impressive!

Thanks, hrissan.  ;) It occurred to me to search for webcams in the Jacksonville port area. I had no idea that cruise ships also had webcams, but Google did. But when I checked the MarineTraffic app last night, no cruise ships were docked near the support ships. I checked MarineTraffic again this morning, and bingo, Carnival Fascination was docked right next to the support ships. Pulled up the forward webcam, and there it was! Ain't the Internet amazing...

Online daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 837
« Reply #118 on: 12/20/2014 04:07 PM »
I just took a drive down to the Port Authority.   The closest you can get is the bridge on 105.  I took a couple of pics but the cruise ship cam is the best view unless you have a ticket for the cruise ship.

edit to add photo
« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 04:22 PM by daver »

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2031
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #119 on: 12/20/2014 05:00 PM »
Tuned it up a tad
DM

Tags: