Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2406423 times)

Offline Joaosg

Rhea heading to port now with Tug Jag. Let's see where JRTI (?) is going to grow it's wings, and maybe find cameras nearby  :)

Will be nice to have more good news about SpaceX...

Rhea stopped near, but not in, the AltaSea terminal (?)... Any chance they are going to install the wings there? With all the time they have now it doesn't seem to be the best place to do it... Maybe they will stop the ASDS there while wait for the shippiard to be ready or something.. 
« Last Edit: 07/03/2015 03:49 PM by Joaosg »

Offline Joaosg

Ok. Rhea and ASDS are going to stay at AltaSea for now. Anyone in LA can go there and take some pics from the public street nearby? Maybe with a drone also? :)

Offline CJ

• Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 180
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #5002 on: 07/03/2015 05:43 PM »
Okay, taking a look at the map, Altsea seems to be super convenient to Ports 'o Call, a very common tourist stop, so we may get photos often. 

The bad news IMHO is that if where Rhea is docked is where ASDS is, we'll get fleeting low-res views from passing cruise cams, but nothing like we've seen in JAX.

The question is, what happens now? Are they really going to keep Rhea assigned permanently to ASDS, given both the rarity of Vandy SpaceX launches and the cost of keeping a tug and crew retained full time? Or will Rhea soon head off, to be replaced on an as-needed temporary basis?

And, what happens now? SpaceX's past practice is to get an ASDS ready in time, rather than in advance. So, a slow work pace on the ASDS for a while?

One the subject of ASDS photo opportunities, I suppose I'd be sorely remiss if I neglected to mention statistical likelihoods relating to said opportunities.  First-time visitors to Los Angles, especially those that arrive by sea, are overwhelmingly likely to head for tourist spots, the most likley being Disneyland, and the second Hollywood. This is, of course, this ASDS's first time in SoCal, and it arrived by sea, so statistically it will almost certainly head for Disneyland - thus, staking out the happy kingdom might be a good way to get pictures of an ASDS, statistically speaking.     

Offline Wonger

• Silicon Valley
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #5003 on: 07/03/2015 05:56 PM »
Okay, taking a look at the map, Altsea seems to be super convenient to Ports 'o Call, a very common tourist stop, so we may get photos often. 

The bad news IMHO is that if where Rhea is docked is where ASDS is, we'll get fleeting low-res views from passing cruise cams, but nothing like we've seen in JAX.

The question is, what happens now? Are they really going to keep Rhea assigned permanently to ASDS, given both the rarity of Vandy SpaceX launches and the cost of keeping a tug and crew retained full time? Or will Rhea soon head off, to be replaced on an as-needed temporary basis?

And, what happens now? SpaceX's past practice is to get an ASDS ready in time, rather than in advance. So, a slow work pace on the ASDS for a while?

One the subject of ASDS photo opportunities, I suppose I'd be sorely remiss if I neglected to mention statistical likelihoods relating to said opportunities.  First-time visitors to Los Angles, especially those that arrive by sea, are overwhelmingly likely to head for tourist spots, the most likley being Disneyland, and the second Hollywood. This is, of course, this ASDS's first time in SoCal, and it arrived by sea, so statistically it will almost certainly head for Disneyland - thus, staking out the happy kingdom might be a good way to get pictures of an ASDS, statistically speaking.     

So you're saying we stake out the Pirates of the the Caribbean cam? And Johnny Depp captains the Quest?

I took a quick 5 minute look for cams last night.  Not sure these are the best but here's what I have so far:
Huntington Beach cam (nothing yet except a million people out for the Fourth of July weekend)
http://hbcams.com/live/beach-overview.html

Cabrillo Beach cam doesn't appear to be functioning (which is a shame because it it positioned perfectly)
http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/cabrillo-beach_24731

Long Beach Harbor cam (super lo rez)
http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/united-states/long-beach-california2.php

Los Angeles Port cam:
http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/united-states/los-angeles-california.php
Wait - this one is not working.

Seal Beach - again lo-rez
http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/seal-beach_24880

edit - changed two of the links
edit 2 - added Seal Beach
« Last Edit: 07/03/2015 06:18 PM by Wonger »

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 1563
« Reply #5004 on: 07/03/2015 06:37 PM »
That Black's beach is in Northern California, not the LA area.

No, it's north of San Diego.  And only part of it is nude.  The rest of it is for surfing and rocket barge watching.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #5005 on: 07/03/2015 06:48 PM »
That Black's beach is in Northern California, not the LA area.

No, it's north of San Diego.  And only part of it is nude.  The rest of it is for surfing and rocket barge watching.

Correct.  I know this and should have caught myself before I jumped this conversation to the wrong beach but its been a few years.  Used to fly paraglider at Torrey Pines Gliderport immediately above the beach, landed there a few times.  Now back to your regularly scheduled stalking of the SpaceX Navy(tm).

Offline Wonger

• Silicon Valley
« Reply #5006 on: 07/03/2015 07:02 PM »
i don't like any of the cams I've listed above.  They're too far away or non-functional or low resolution.  Rats.

@CJ Yes I see where the Rhea is currently docked.  Is AltaSea that long white building next to Miner Street?  If so, I don't think we could even do a drive by or a walk by to see what's going on with the Marmac.  The building would block the view.

@Joaosg Yes, good point.  A drone would work.

edit - added comment
« Last Edit: 07/03/2015 07:10 PM by Wonger »

Offline CJ

« Reply #5007 on: 07/03/2015 08:10 PM »
So you're saying we stake out the Pirates of the the Caribbean cam? And Johnny Depp captains the Quest?

Pirates of the Caribbean has a cam? Yes, that might be ideal. I'm just going on statistics here; Disneyland is the most common first stop for first-time visitors to the LA area, which the ASDS is.  :)

Caveat: I have, of course, never claimed to be sane.

I took a quick 5 minute look for cams last night.  Not sure these are the best but here's what I have so far:
Huntington Beach cam (nothing yet except a million people out for the Fourth of July weekend)
http://hbcams.com/live/beach-overview.html

Cabrillo Beach cam doesn't appear to be functioning (which is a shame because it it positioned perfectly)
http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/cabrillo-beach_24731

Long Beach Harbor cam (super lo rez)
http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/united-states/long-beach-california2.php

Los Angeles Port cam:
http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/united-states/los-angeles-california.php
Wait - this one is not working.

Seal Beach - again lo-rez
http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/seal-beach_24880

edit - changed two of the links
edit 2 - added Seal Beach

I can't load it because it requires a plugin and allowing scripts, but this Long Beach harbor cam might, if working, be in a suitable area;
http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/long-beach-harbor-live

This one seems to cover the right area, but claims to be temporarily offline. (might be worth a look later though).
 http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

This one also require plugins I don't have, but looks to be in the right area.
http://www.sanpedro.com/panoramas/ports_ocall.htm

And yep, IMHO, the view of Altsea from the street will be blocked by buildings.  :(

Edit to add; according to this post on reddit, the ASDS is clearly visible from a public street just 60 feet away!
http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/3c20de/just_read_the_instructions_is_now_clearly_visible/

« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 02:02 AM by CJ »

Offline CJ

« Reply #5008 on: 07/04/2015 04:36 AM »
Sorry for following up my own post, but I thought y'all might like to see close up pictures of the ASDS in Long Beach.

It's certainly showing signs that the avian source quoted by Kabloona and others up-thread have been quite active. 

I don't know whether it's okay to post the pics here as attachments, the pics aren't mine, and may belong to the person who posted them, so I'll just provide a link to the imgur page. My sincere thanks to the photographer!

temp bana/J4kv1/noscript

Edit: Huh? When I try to post the link, it gets mangled to the above. I must have goofed somehow. Or is imgur a site we're not supposed to link to here? Is so, my apologies, but I thought I'd seen that site linked here before.
Okay.... a workaround; it's linked at the top of this redit thread.
http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/3c2jnf/just_read_the_instructions_is_now_docked_in_the/

I'm adding another version of the direct link in case the noscript is what messed it up.

temp bana/J4kv1

Edit 2. Ugh, something is strange. the imgur site name gets changed to temp bana? temporary banana? I'm not sure whether it's here or on my system. If the latter, I've got a virus, ugh....
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 04:45 AM by CJ »

Online Req

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #5009 on: 07/04/2015 05:16 AM »
Wow, look at all of those white score/burn/whatever marks on the deck paint!

Edited to try to add the link, it's definitely NSF's SEO thingy messing it up, not your system CJ.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 05:29 AM by Req »

Offline CJ

« Reply #5010 on: 07/04/2015 05:28 AM »
Wow, look at all of those white score marks in the paint!

Edited to try to add the link, it's definitely NSF's SEO thingy messing it up, not your system CJ.

Thanks Req! I've been running scans since I posted, so your confirmation just saved me several hours of frustrating work. The last time I encountered urls changing like (though in my browser that time) that was a few years ago due to a redirect virus, so I jumped to the wrong assumption.

If "SEO thingy" is something to do with an intentional block list (?), I'll go edit that out of my post. If it's just a glitch, I'll leave it a bit in case it's helpful.

Those white marks on the paint are what I meant by avian sources; I think they are bird droppings...  :)

Online Req

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #5011 on: 07/04/2015 05:29 AM »
By "SEO Thingy" I mean that it likely tries to hit the page and get it's title or somesuch, and it came up with that instead.  NOT working as intended whether it's that or some other parsing type of weirdness.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 05:31 AM by Req »

Offline Wonger

• Silicon Valley
« Reply #5012 on: 07/04/2015 05:36 AM »
So they welded brackets onto the deck surface to assist in lifting.

Also wondering about the white streaks.  They are too spaced out uniformly to be the work of seagulls.

Edit - yeah, seagulls probably.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 06:04 AM by Wonger »

Offline CJ

« Reply #5013 on: 07/04/2015 05:46 AM »
By "SEO Thingy" I mean that it likely tries to hit the page and get it's title or somesuch, and it came up with that instead.  NOT working as intended whether it's that or some other parsing type of weirdness.

Ah, thanks!

I know very little about web site software and the servers it runs on (other than a few basic facts, such as that it's based upon black magic).

I'm going to add one of the many photos of the ASDS that I believe were taken by redit user pensie, in the hope that that's okay by the rules of this site and the internet in general (I looked, but can see no copyright, nor any request not to repost). If I'm mistaken on any of this, somebody please let me know and I'll remove it.

Just to repeat for those who didn't see it above; Pensie's thread, with a link at the top to the rest of his ASDS pics, is here; http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/3c2jnf/just_read_the_instructions_is_now_docked_in_the/

In the attached pic, we can clearly see the first part of JRtI's name in the wing segment, plus the white marks (avian bombardment). No sign of activity, and my guess is we won't see much (aside perhaps from wing attachment) until close to Jason 3's launch date. 

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2123
  • Likes Given: 1485
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 07:56 AM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #5015 on: 07/04/2015 04:09 PM »
I really thought they were going to put it where I had posted its "proper" position to be.  Makes a lot of sense (to me) that it be where I've got it and not where they've got it.  Did they not read my post?  Do they not have NSF access while out to sea?  But in one of the images you can see two welders in the foreground (on shore) which leads to the conclusion that either this is the spot or this is the spot where the work will be done.  Strange, such a thin strip of land to work in, put a crane in, possibly build a mount for standing the stages.  Also in one of those pictures you can see the large building in the background (AltaSea's building?) that says "Warehouse no. 1", which I had thought was called "War House", from its navy origins.  Coulda sworn I read a Wikipedia article of that name and had other sources.  Hmmm.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 04:10 PM by OxCartMark »

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #5016 on: 07/04/2015 04:34 PM »
I really thought they were going to put it where I had posted its "proper" position to be.  Makes a lot of sense (to me) that it be where I've got it and not where they've got it.  Did they not read my post?  Do they not have NSF access while out to sea?  But in one of the images you can see two welders in the foreground (on shore) which leads to the conclusion that either this is the spot or this is the spot where the work will be done.  Strange, such a thin strip of land to work in, put a crane in, possibly build a mount for standing the stages.  Also in one of those pictures you can see the large building in the background (AltaSea's building?) that says "Warehouse no. 1", which I had thought was called "War House", from its navy origins.  Coulda sworn I read a Wikipedia article of that name and had other sources.  Hmmm.

Asking for a clarification, Mark.  Are you saying you think that the ASDS is currently parked where your green X is located?  Because, if so, you're right, that doesn't seem like an appropriate location for the kind of work that will likely need to be done on the barge to get it ready for its mission.

Perhaps this is a temporary parking spot?  Maybe SpaceX decided to postpone the modification work for a while during the current accident investigation?  It could make sense to wait and not spend the money now to complete and kit out the ASDS when it may not be used for four to six months later than originally planned.

One of the ways in which SpaceX seems to be pursuing cost effectiveness is using JIT processing flow logic (applying the term casually, not strictly), in which things are done/fabricated/delivered/prepared Just In Time.  This is a somewhat different paradigm from the military aerospace process that the industry has tended to follow, where you get everything ready as soon as you can (at least not worrying so much about when it will then be needed in the processing cycle), and then leave it sit in storage until it's needed.  So, if it saves a few thousand dollars to wait and only start paying rent on the dock facilities closer to the time you'll need to start using that space, maybe SpaceX is saying "Why not save those few thousand dollars?"
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #5017 on: 07/04/2015 05:14 PM »
Asking for a clarification, Mark.  Are you saying you think that the ASDS is currently parked where your green X is located?  Because, if so, you're right, that doesn't seem like an appropriate location for the kind of work that will likely need to be done on the barge to get it ready for its mission.
Correct.  The red X is where Rhea and the ASDS are located, per the reddit posts, which shows pictures from the road, as well as a re-created overhead image showing them there.  Also backed up by AIS tracking of Rhea's position.  If you've not followed the links above its worth doing.

In contravenement of both your JIT theory and my "other place" theory we have two large welders sitting right next to the bargetobeASDS, with no other explanation for their placement there.

Also, I want to add, the area where I suggested that it be docked appears to be somewhat cluttered in the overhead images but really its not.  It was formerly a tank farm and liquid transfer station.  The apparent clutter on the ground is just the pads where tanks had been, not the tanks themselves.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #5018 on: 07/04/2015 05:21 PM »
Go Quest is back in Jacksonville, arrived 3-1/2 hours ago.  Elsbeth III and ASDS OCISLY there.  And! Carnival Fascination.

No apparent activity.  Not surprising given that its Saturday, its the 4th of July, and there are no launches on the calendar.

One detail that may be telling - Go Quest isn't parked against the sea wall, but rather spaced away from it by Elsbeth III, a position which it wouldn't be likely to be in if Go Quest had come back with wreckage on deck which needed to be offloaded by one of the telehandlers.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 05:30 PM by OxCartMark »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2054
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #5019 on: 07/04/2015 05:30 PM »
The site software is rewriting imgur to "temp ban" plus a letter, which is probably a clue.

Tags: