Author Topic: Availability of CAD Models?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Zhuravl

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Availability of CAD Models?
« on: 11/20/2014 08:03 pm »
A classmate of mine and I are working on a research project in rarefied gas dynamics. Specifically, we're assessing the validity of rarefied models for different parts of the re-entry trajectories of commercial crew vehicles. We'll also be calculating thermal properties such as heat transfer coefficients, Nusselt numbers, Biot numbers, etc. in the regions with free molecular flow. Primarily, our focus right now is on the CST-100, the Blue Origin capsule, and SpaceShipTwo.

Unfortunately, we're going to need CAD models of these vehicles in order to proceed further in our project. While we're confident that we can devise our own approximate CAD models based on information available online, we're hoping for something a little bit higher fidelity. We've tried searching for CAD models of the three vehicles online, but we've come up empty-handed. It makes perfect sense for Boeing, Blue Origin, and Scaled Composites to be highly secretive about their CCV projects, but it surprised us that we couldn't seem to find even third-party approximate CAD files.

Does anyone know where we can find any CAD models, even third-party ones, with at least moderately high fidelity, of the CST-100, SpaceShipTwo, or Blue Origin's Space Vehicle?

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 64
Re: Availability of CAD Models?
« Reply #1 on: 11/20/2014 08:19 pm »
If that data ever becomes released publicly in any way, you would be most likely to find it somewhere like http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models.  The odds of what you are asking for ever to be released are practically zero, as they contain proprietary and export controlled information.  I would look not for CAD models, but polygon models for visualization purposes -- that is about as close as you are likely to get to what you want.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #2 on: 11/20/2014 09:53 pm »

Does anyone know where we can find any CAD models, even third-party ones, with at least moderately high fidelity, of the CST-100, SpaceShipTwo, or Blue Origin's Space Vehicle?

google search cad models also you might find some starting models from the 3d printer models.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29378.msg1155633#msg1155633
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Doesitfloat

• Detroit MI
  • Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 186
« Reply #3 on: 11/22/2014 02:28 am »

https://grabcad.com/library/spaceshipone-1

It's Space ship 1.
At least it's free.

Tags: