Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 1  (Read 244659 times)

Offline The Roadie

• San Diego
  • Liked: 2150
  • Likes Given: 94
Lookie what a source spotted from the bus route today! T/E (sans paint, it looks like).
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 819
looks like we're getting the design featured in the render eh

Offline The Roadie

• San Diego
  • Liked: 2150
  • Likes Given: 94
I've been informed that's just the "strongback", not the entire T/E. Makes sense.
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
It looks like it's being held so that even as it goes up the slope it keeps the spine horizontal?

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 1815
It looks like it's being held so that even as it goes up the slope it keeps the spine horizontal?

Makes sense - the visualizations we've seen from SpaceX show the rocket rolling out tail-first, which means the slope would tilt the nose down, resulting in accelerations that even a horizontally-integrated rocket is not supposed to get subjected to.  Like "eyeballs-out", but without the eyes.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline lark

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 28
Here's a dim view of the inside of the hangar on Oct 31 (I took the bus tour after the awesome ULA launch).  Not sure it's useful, but posting in the interest of raw data. Couple more photos in this imgur album.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2015 07:13 PM by lark »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3508
  • Likes Given: 2170
Here's a dim view of the inside of the hangar on Oct 31 (I took the bus tour after the awesome ULA launch).  Not sure it's useful, but posting in the interest of raw data. Couple more photos in this imgur album.
Here is a brightened version... Not much there in the image data unfortunately. But it is clear that this strong-back is a hefty piece of hardware.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2015 08:48 PM by Lars-J »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4641
  • Likes Given: 883
and they've already got fuel on site!  :)
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 131
Here is an even brighter version of the strongback in the hangar.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3768
  • Likes Given: 740
I look forward to seeing these thingies (there must be four of them?) in better resolution.

- Ed Kyle

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3508
  • Likes Given: 2170
I look forward to seeing these thingies (there must be four of them?) in better resolution.

- Ed Kyle

Do you mean the rail bogeys? There's only two of them, at the base. The third holding point - supporting/holding the top of the rocket - is not on rails, as far as I can tell.

See image (from the latest SpaceX FH video):
« Last Edit: 11/05/2015 09:57 PM by Lars-J »

Online douglas100

• Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 104
Yes, I think that's right. It looks like it's on road wheels and you can see the towing tractor in front of it in the first photo.

No sign of any pipework in the strongback or the cladding shown in the rendering, yet. Still early days. I guess this is a first fit check with the launch mount.
Douglas Clark

Online douglas100

Makes sense - the visualizations we've seen from SpaceX show the rocket rolling out tail-first, which means the slope would tilt the nose down, resulting in accelerations that even a horizontally-integrated rocket is not supposed to get subjected to.  Like "eyeballs-out", but without the eyes.

I think there was a previous post which said it would be kept horizontal on the ramp. But it's a bit difficult to tell from the photos if it actually is horizontal. There are also clearance issues at the top of the ramp where the slope changes. The strongback must be high enough off the ground so the underside doesn't come in contact with the ground as it goes over the "hump."

Notice that it's attached to the rail bogey by what looks like a hydraulic ram. This might be the leveling mechanism.
Douglas Clark

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 1324
What is the means of locomotion?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11063
  • Likes Given: 328
I've been informed that's just the "strongback", not the entire T/E. Makes sense.

Don't see a pad base, so that makes sense

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 350

- Ed Kyle

There's a bunch of new photos in the L2 39A section from better viewpoints (KSC people, not bus tour people), with it now up on the pad. Amazing structure.

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Can one of these photos PERHAPS be shared on here? ;D And this structure STAYS on the pad surface permanently, correct?
« Last Edit: 11/06/2015 01:22 PM by shuttlefan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 209
  • Likes Given: 108
Is this an Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) or is it a Transporter Erector (TE) with a launcher and the stage on top of it? And I agree with the non L2 picture share request.

Online douglas100

Thought I spotted a tow tractor similar to the one used at SLC-40 in the first photo.
Douglas Clark

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 1324

Thought I spotted a tow tractor similar to the one used at SLC-40 in the first photo.

Yeah it's hard to make that out and that would mean the TE would be pushed, which seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2015 03:23 PM by oiorionsbelt »

Tags: