Author Topic: NASA picks rocket for return to Moon  (Read 5401 times)

Offline AndyMc

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 264
NASA picks rocket for return to Moon
« on: 08/23/2005 02:11 pm »
Hi All,

According to Flight International Magazine NASA administrator Michael Griffin has decided to drop the 70t Shuttle derived side-mount configuration Heavy Lift Booster in favour of the in-line version.

http://www.flightinternational.com/Articles/2005/08/23/Navigation/200/201125/+NASA+picks+rocket+for+return+to+Moon++.html

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: NASA picks rocket for return to Moon
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/2005 12:17 am »
One of the last things we'll hear from Christopher Shank. He's about to be sacked.

He's got a wild mouth on him, even if he was stating the obvious here.

Offline AndyMc

• Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2005 09:12 am »

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2005 04:09 am »
And the image of that beast is on the July AIAA document thread, in case you hadn't seen.

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2005 04:23 pm »
We really have to get behind heavy lift. I am deathly afraid that the EELV hacks will exploit the damage to MAF and undermine heavy-lift advocacy. This war will continue to be funded--and people will use the disaster to try to cut NASA funds. I have found a selling point for HLLV.

Take a look here:

www.spaceislandgroup.com

I got Gene Meyers in contact with the Ross Hoffman who wrote about Hurricane modification thru solar powersats that made the cover of Scientific American.

Heavy Lift needs all the help it can get. I hate to say it--but STS/ISS may have to die--let Marshall design Longfellow as MAF rebuilds--and Longfellow is the first new vehicle they make.

Sound like a plan?

Online MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 654
« Reply #5 on: 09/08/2005 06:50 am »
What I'd be interested in seeing is the thrust structure and internal modifications to the bottom of the tank. Will they need to completely redo the internal machining, or will they be able to save some development costs by keeping the existing machining pattern (using longer panels for the 'stretched' tank) and just 'bolt on' additional internal support and stress risers?

Tags: