Author Topic: Want to buy a Blue Gemini?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline DecoLV

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 23

Offline DecoLV

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Want to buy a Blue Gemini?
« Reply #1 on: 07/13/2014 05:48 PM »
After reading this article myself a couple of times, it's still kind of ambiguous. The guy has apparently repainted the capsule...so the USAF markings may not be accurate. And as much as he says of the source, it was a 1960 boilerplate for recovery tests. That would seem to pre-date the Blue Gemini program, or MOL, whatever. Finally, I found one photo in there of the heat shield, which clearly has no hatch in it. So,who knows what this guy has? But it certainly does not seem to be our black "United States" shingled friend.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2898
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 07/13/2014 07:54 PM »
For the record:

"Blue Gemini" was a short-lived USAF program to fly up to six Gemini spacecraft on Air Force missions. They would be standalone missions, flown on Titan II's just like NASA missions.

MOL did NOT use a "Blue Gemini." MOL used a "Gemini B," which had a hole cut in the heatshield for astronaut access to the MOL spacecraft.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2898
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: 07/13/2014 08:08 PM »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/2014 03:37 AM »
For the record:

"Blue Gemini" was a short-lived USAF program to fly up to six Gemini spacecraft on Air Force missions. They would be standalone missions, flown on Titan II's just like NASA missions.

MOL did NOT use a "Blue Gemini." MOL used a "Gemini B," which had a hole cut in the heatshield for astronaut access to the MOL spacecraft.

Should be a serial number on it somewhere?   Then a search at one of the air force museums would track this down.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline theonlyspace

• Rocketeer
  • AEAI Space Center, USA
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/2014 09:50 AM »
Just observing the picture. Different from the real NASA Gemini in that the retro rocket section seems to be longer than the real Gemini. Also the section behind the retro  section is very short in length. The Equipment section behind the retro section on NASA Gemini is much longer holding fuel cells ect.ect..So this  maybe the MOL style Adapter and Retro sections on the capsule.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1124
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/2014 12:48 PM »
Rutland MA, Until the town pays it fair share of school taxes to the regional I'll pass...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags: