Author Topic: New TV Series: Extant  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2973
  • Likes Given: 7917
New TV Series: Extant
« on: 07/09/2014 11:13 PM »
Well here is another new scifi series... At least it has Halle Berry as the lead. :) Let's see how it is... 9pm Eastern on CBS.

An astronaut (Berry) returns home from a year long solo mission in space. She tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 200
Re: New TV Series: Extant
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/2014 11:38 PM »
A 13 month SOLO mission?  O-kayyyyyy.

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 626
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2014 08:55 AM »

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2014 05:23 PM »
Yep, they lost me right there. No way NASA would allow someone to just go on with their life in the public, knowing that.
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Offline KelvinZero

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2014 01:30 AM »
Gravity plates just so you can design ships that sail like sea ships, spaceships from alien cultures that meet in deep space and have all chosen the same direction for up, have roughly the same level of technology, and everyone speaking english... and this bothers you!?? :)

Maybe the whole thing was sponsored by Red Bull, or a crazy pope decided to sponsor a mission with Vatican money, or the other crew realized there was a big game on the launch day or ate bad fish or something.

Offline Alf Fass

• The Abyss
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2014 06:26 AM »
Is it true that when she returns to Earth she's found to be pregnant?
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?
John Maynard Keynes

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 57

Offline KelvinZero

« Reply #7 on: 07/12/2014 07:08 AM »
Is it true that when she returns to Earth she's found to be pregnant?

Apparently so

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/extant-tv-review-slick-scifi-series-has-an-intriguing-plot-but-the-characters-arent-quite-out-of-this-world-9598916.html

from the article:
Oscar winner Halle Berry stars as Molly Woods, an astronaut who's recently completed a 13-month solo space mission for her private employers, the Yasumoto Corp.

Well there you go. Have you seen japanese game shows? 13 month solo missions should be easy to swallow after that.

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2014 12:39 PM »
Yep, they lost me right there. No way NASA would allow someone to just go on with their life in the public, knowing that.

This is not NASA, it's the "recently privatized International Space Exploration Agency".

It's not clear when it is set. The technology and domestic infrastructure are clearly decades ahead. However, the Seraphim space station does appear to be a cut'n'paste of ISS and Bigelow modules!

Plausible to have a small research station run by one human and an AI? Maybe. There's also a hint that in fact Molly is the subject of an experiment, so perhaps "they" found an excuse to make it a solo facility.

I don't think the series is actually going to be about space at all. I think it's just there as an "other place". The central point, at least of the first part, seems to be "what makes us human".
« Last Edit: 07/12/2014 12:41 PM by mikes »

Offline su27k

• Liked: 930
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2014 12:43 PM »
This looks pretty nice, from a layman's eye the space part is done very well. And no, it's not good old NASA, it's ISEA (International Space Exploration Agency), recently bought by a private corporation.

She is on a small space station, analyzing samples returned from automated probes, with the help of a fairly strong AI, so solo is no big deal.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 349
  • Likes Given: 1082
« Reply #10 on: 07/13/2014 03:37 PM »
Plus it had to be of such a duration to drive home the point to the common public that she was impregnated while "on orbit".

Giving it a chance, we'll see how it goes. I am interested to see what she "births".
Paul

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #11 on: 07/14/2014 07:45 PM »
This looks pretty nice, from a layman's eye the space part is done very well. And no, it's not good old NASA, it's ISEA (International Space Exploration Agency), recently bought by a private corporation.

She is on a small space station, analyzing samples returned from automated probes, with the help of a fairly strong AI, so solo is no big deal.

Analysis of returned samples is another justification for a solo mission, too. If there is anything bad in them, this way the body count is kept minimal. If it's a volunteer-only mission with eyes wide open, it's hard to see any legal challenge working out.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #12 on: 07/14/2014 10:00 PM »
I just can't see anyone on a long duration mission going alone. That's way too much responsibility for one person, just get back even if she had a fully automated capsule of some type. Sure, Mercury missions were solo, but those were orbital test flights of very short duration.
This is not NASA, it's the "recently privatized International Space Exploration Agency".
Then that makes even less sense, as any private venture is going to go bonkers when they found out a woman alone in orbit came back preggers.
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Tags: