Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Iridium NEXT Flight 1 DISCUSSION (Jan. 14 2017)  (Read 336254 times)

Online Chris Bergin

@Chris Bergin, what do you mean with that? Are you saying that they are very confident they have found the real solution to their pad explosion?
OR that the NASA folks just like the way SpaceX is proceeding with their investigation: comprehensive, systematic and professional.

What Doc said. :)

And for context, NASA folk are not easily pleased.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2016 06:40 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2844
  • Likes Given: 1715
BUMP: GRACE-FO is official confirmed on an F9 as a rideshare with 5 Iridium NEXT during the Window of December 2017 till February 2018.

http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/section/global-geomonitoring-and-gravity-field/topics/development-operation-and-analysis-of-gravity-field-satellite-missions/grace-fo/launch-vehicle-system/
As the Russian/Ukraine Dnepr and corresponding launch services can no longer be provided by the International Space Company Kosmotras (ISCK), the joint NASA-GFZ Joint Steering Group has decided to exchange the GRACE-FO launcher. The corresponding contract was signed on 14. November 2016 by the Board of GFZ and Iridium Satellite LLC. It stipulates a "Rideshare" between GRACE-FO and 5 Iridium-Next satellites on a Space-X Falcon-9 from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California within the launch period December 2017 till February 2018. This also includes a contract with Airbus D&S who will build the necessary Multi Satellite Dispenser and will perform the Launch Service Management under contract of GFZ.

Interesting, so instead of stacking two Iridium dispensers together it would be one full Iridium dispenser stacked with the GRACE-FO dispenser.  Wonder if this means there will be an eighth Iridium launch on Falcon?

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 578
BUMP: GRACE-FO is official confirmed on an F9 as a rideshare with 5 Iridium NEXT during the Window of December 2017 till February 2018.

http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/section/global-geomonitoring-and-gravity-field/topics/development-operation-and-analysis-of-gravity-field-satellite-missions/grace-fo/launch-vehicle-system/
As the Russian/Ukraine Dnepr and corresponding launch services can no longer be provided by the International Space Company Kosmotras (ISCK), the joint NASA-GFZ Joint Steering Group has decided to exchange the GRACE-FO launcher. The corresponding contract was signed on 14. November 2016 by the Board of GFZ and Iridium Satellite LLC. It stipulates a "Rideshare" between GRACE-FO and 5 Iridium-Next satellites on a Space-X Falcon-9 from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California within the launch period December 2017 till February 2018. This also includes a contract with Airbus D&S who will build the necessary Multi Satellite Dispenser and will perform the Launch Service Management under contract of GFZ.

Interesting, so instead of stacking two Iridium dispensers together it would be one full Iridium dispenser stacked with the GRACE-FO dispenser.  Wonder if this means there will be an eighth Iridium launch on Falcon?

The satellites use the same attachment mechanisms so adapters are compatible This would also be first time in US since STS that a commercial commsat is to launch with a NASA science satellite.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 87

The satellites use the same attachment mechanisms so adapters are compatible This would also be first time in US since STS that a commercial commsat is to launch with a NASA science satellite.

Formally the GRACE-FO launch is not a NASA launch, as it is contracted via the German side of the GRACE joint venture

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10986
  • Likes Given: 327

They are German science satellites that have US instruments.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2016 12:50 PM by Jim »

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 4425
  • Likes Given: 1394

There are German science satellites that have US instruments.
By that definition just about every science satellite ever launched from the Western world would be a NASA science satellite.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1116
  • Likes Given: 243
By that definition just about every science satellite ever launched from the Western world would be a NASA science satellite.
To listen to the popular press, every satellite ever launched is a NASA satellite.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 373
A user on the SpX FB group who apparently works for Iridium says the launch is back on for Jan 6-9th
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 357
  • Likes Given: 462
I guess it is time to ask the usual question about viewing opportunities for this launch in the Lompoc area.

I have been to other launches, but not a SpaceX launch.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2016 04:04 PM by Danderman »

Offline nukie19

• Liked: 766
  • Likes Given: 36
I guess it is time to ask the usual question about viewing opportunities for this launch in the Lompoc area.

I have been to other launches, but not a SpaceX launch.

Anything good for an Atlas launch will work for a SpaceX one as well.  Ocean Ave. was pretty popular for Jason-3.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Peter B. de Selding
GRACE-FO/SpaceX(2): IRDM sold GRACE-FO share of Falcon 9 IRDM had booked after Russia/Ukraine Dnepr rocket disappeared from market.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7033
  • Likes Given: 4813
GRACE-FO/SpaceX(2): IRDM sold GRACE-FO share of Falcon 9 IRDM had booked after Russia/Ukraine Dnepr rocket disappeared from market.
Sometimes the 140 char limit is maddeing. I had trouble parsing that, I got several different possible meanings.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online meberbs

• Liked: 1527
  • Likes Given: 376
Sometimes the 140 char limit is maddeing. I had trouble parsing that, I got several different possible meanings.
I understand it as saying "Iridium bought an extra F9 launch to make up for the 2 satellites Russia would no longer launch, and it sold off some of the excess capacity to GRACE-FO as a rideshare"

Combined with the fact that there will be 5 sats on this ride, this implies they may launch 3 of the planned ground spares as on-orbit spares since they have the spare capacity.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93

As far as I know, Iridium was already short launch capacity for 2 satellites because their own Dnepr launch is in doubt just like GRACE-FO's was. This change seems to presume an 8th Falcon 9 launch as the way to get the last pair in orbit (and I guess at least five more now), but strictly reading, it doesn't say they've actually booked it yet.

As for the post length: There's no good reason for that website to exist, at least not in the form chosen. A service for publishing short updates is one thing. Refusing to let go of 25 year old technological constraints is another. The 140 character limit was resolved 5 years before Twitter even existed.

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 218
  • Likes Given: 1830
Matt Desch
‏@IridiumBoss

Iridium's @Falcon9_rocket in processing at @VandenbergAFB, getting ready for our launch in early Jan. Progress! #Thistimeitsforreal!

4:14 PM - 16 Dec 2016
« Last Edit: 12/16/2016 08:38 PM by Navier–Stokes »

Offline Seamus

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 50
Matt Desch
‏@IridiumBoss

Iridium's @Falcon9_rocket in processing at @VandenbergAFB, getting ready for our launch in early Jan. Progress! #Thistimeitsforreal!

4:14 PM - 16 Dec 2016

The "thistimeitsforreal" hashtag seems like it could indicate SpaceX has gotten FAA approval and advised Iridium.  It doesn't seem like something that would be included unless it was more certain than his posts referencing 12/16 launch date.  And it is Friday, so maybe we'll get an update in the next couple of hours from the powers that be.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7033
  • Likes Given: 4813
Picture of Iridium,s booster at Vandenberg

https://mobile.twitter.com/IridiumBoss/status/809869365046808576
Is it me or do the legs look a bit different? Maybe it's the angle.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 578

As far as I know, Iridium was already short launch capacity for 2 satellites because their own Dnepr launch is in doubt just like GRACE-FO's was. This change seems to presume an 8th Falcon 9 launch as the way to get the last pair in orbit (and I guess at least five more now), but strictly reading, it doesn't say they've actually booked it yet.

As for the post length: There's no good reason for that website to exist, at least not in the form chosen. A service for publishing short updates is one thing. Refusing to let go of 25 year old technological constraints is another. The 140 character limit was resolved 5 years before Twitter even existed.
there are 81 satellites of which currently only 70 have an assigned flight.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Isn't that 75 now?

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 463

Isn't that 75 now?

I think the key word is "assigned." The eighth Iridium flight (five NEXT satellites ridesharing with GRACE-FO) hasn't been officially announced, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: 12/16/2016 10:46 PM by old_sellsword »

Tags: