Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Iridium NEXT Flight 1 DISCUSSION (Jan. 14 2017)  (Read 336177 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 524
For the Iridium launch SpaceX submitted an FCC application for the landing that has both VAFB and Drone Ship transmitters, so they're covering their bases with the one submission.

Experimental first-stage recovery operation. Transmitting stations located on Port San Pedro, Vandenberg AFB and offshore.

North  31  17  45     West  120  30  46     Autonomous Drone Ship, within 10 nautical miles

For comparison, ASDS coordinates on Jason-3 were:

North  32  7  44    West  120  46  43    BOAT, within 10 nautical miles
North  32  7  44    West  120  46  43    BARGE, within 10 nautical miles

So this time, a bit farther south.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 524
So this means that Iridium-NEXT F1 will not be doing a Vandenberg RTLS...

...and that the core will land on Just Read The Instructions?

A key factor for RTLS is whether or not the landing pad has been completed. Last we heard, it was still being worked on.
« Last Edit: 08/03/2016 09:28 PM by Kabloona »

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 139
  • Likes Given: 74
Any update on this launch?  I'm going to be in Santa Barbara for a conference that day and thinking about driving up to see the launch if the launch date doesn't slip more than a day. 

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
I also plan to attend this launch. Last one was completely shielded by the fog...

Offline ZachS09

How about they make fog a weather violation at Vandenberg? I ask that because the fog caused one of Jason 3's landing legs to not deploy fully.
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1528
  • Likes Given: 4111
How about they make fog a weather violation at Vandenberg? I ask that because the fog caused one of Jason 3's landing legs to not deploy fully.
I think they'd do better to fix the latch and/or protect it from moisture.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1147
  • Likes Given: 981
SpaceX indicated at the time that those were an older revision of the leg hardware, and implied that the issue would not have occurred with the newer revision.  So it is likely no longer an issue.

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
Yeah I think it is in SpaceX's interest to *remove* or weaken all possible violations, so they can operate more smoothly and cheaply, instead of creating hurdles. I believe fixing the latching mechanisms is much cheaper than postponing a launch one or more days.

Online Toastmastern

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 191
Six #IridiumNEXT satellite vehicles down, 4 more to go! Another successful arrival at @VandenbergAFB #NEXTevolution

https://twitter.com/IridiumComm/status/765903388659814400

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 12
According to a post on the SpaceX FB group, the Iridium-1 booster (F9-30) is wrapped and shipping out of Hawthorne today for McGregor. Give it ~3 or so days to get there, a week of testing, and ~3 days to head west back to Vandenberg, and it could be there by 1st week of September.

Apparently not. The stage reported there might one returning from Canaveral.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2016 05:01 AM by yokem55 »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 752
With the possibility that SES-10 in October may be the first recycled booster flight, it would make sense to see some Canaveral-to-McGreggor traffic.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 709
  • Likes Given: 1177
With the possibility that SES-10 in October may be the first recycled booster flight, it would make sense to see some Canaveral-to-McGreggor traffic.

With 3 VAFB launches before the end of this year, it makes sense that their would be lots of flow going west.  There is a lot of cores needed in the next 4 months, especially if one includes the FH.

But would they need to take a stage all the way to McGreggor then bring it back to CCAFS? 

Seems like an expense in time and money that should be done in Florida as that will be what they ultimately want to work toward anyway.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 752
I read somewhere that the Iridium NEXT spacecraft will be launched in clusters like the Orbcomm 2Gs. Is that right?

Seems like an expense in time and money that should be done in Florida as that will be what they ultimately want to work toward anyway.

Engine tests and a full structural check using the equipment at McGreggor; there's a lot riding on the first reuse flight so there's no need to rush it. Better to check every component twice and in as much detail as possible. Yes, later they'll want that work done in the Cape Industrial Area (maybe at Hanger AO) but that's when they've answered all their questions and know with a high degree of certainty what they need to do to turn around a stage. Until then, it's slow, detailed and methodical checks.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2016 04:44 PM by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 1919
  • Likes Given: 1
I read somewhere that the Iridium NEXT spacecraft will be launched in clusters like the Orbcomm 2Gs. Is that right?
>

10 at a time using a new dispenser.

http://blog.iridium.com/2014/07/03/progress-continues-with-iridium-next-launch-milestone/
DM

Offline tadaniels

• North Bend, WA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
Wall Street Journal has an article today on the replacement of the Iridium constellation:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/aging-iridium-network-waits-for-key-satellite-replacements-1471961801

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 315
  • Likes Given: 109

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 778
  • Likes Given: 290
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 635
  • Likes Given: 294
Western range open again!

http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/881089/western-range-set-to-resume-normal-operations
The article is from July and says they're moved and hope to be operational in August. Is there some other source that says they are indeed operational?

Yes

http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/922257/with-operational-acceptance-complete-western-range-is-ready-for-launch

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --
The Western Range is back in the launch business following an operational acceptance decision held by the Operations Acceptance Board at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Aug. 18, 2016.

“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Online Chris Bergin

« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 04:05 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 18
So it appears the dispenser itself splits into two pieces for ease of mating. Interesting.

Tags: