Author Topic: Landing on the Moon using a tail hook?  (Read 13332 times)

Offline Alf Fass

• The Abyss
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Landing on the Moon using a tail hook?
« Reply #40 on: 06/30/2014 07:44 pm »
An idea more amusing than practical would be the theoretical possibility of landing from orbit on an ice field, with the friction between the ice and lander creating a vapor cushion (a bit like steam insulating a water drop from a hot plate, Leidenfrost effect.
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?
John Maynard Keynes

Offline colbourne

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #41 on: 11/16/2014 05:44 am »
Rather than attempting to hook a cable, an alternative would be to drag a cable from the space craft. I dont actually see this as a sensible solution for manned craft as there are too many unknowns, but it may work to lesson the fuel requirements/impact  speed for freight.

By spinning the cable from the lander it could be positioned so that it will drag before impact.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: 11/16/2014 06:54 pm »
 OK! Jets coming in and landing on carriers do so at about, more or less, 150mph?

The fastest land vehicle with wheels did supersonic at about 800 mph. It slowed by chutes.

And as Jim pointed out, no air on the Moon worth spit, so you are in danger of landing HARD (to destruction?) on the lunar surface at low suborbital speeds.
OK! It is possible to fit a lengthy lunar lander with flanking compressed or liquefied-gas bottles and nozzles that shoot out gas downward or laterally and the expanding gases can apply some lifting force to a lift-body frame or foils on the lander. Think of a glider with its own air supply for lifting-force landing on a celestial body with no atmosphere.
Barely possible theoretically, but not practical since you add unwelcome mass with the air bottles, nozzles, lifting foils, etc.

Tags: