Author Topic: Pronunciations  (Read 1400 times)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1785
  • Likes Given: 3387
Pronunciations
« on: 06/05/2014 02:39 PM »
This thread is for all those names in the historical spaceflight pantheon for which we might have questionable pronunciation data.  As an avid reader of space flight histories, I always like to have the right sounds in my head when I read someone's name.

My first example is Max Faget.  I always pronounce it, in my head, with the original French version of the name.  I don't have access to the various pronunciation symbols here, like the "long" and "short" vowel sound symbols, but doing my best with the regular ASCII set, I pronounce it "fah-ZHAY."

The obvious alternative that I would hope was not used is a sound-alike for a derogatory word, pronounced roughly "FAGG-it" with a short "a" vowel sound.  However, I recently noticed that Wikipedia says it was pronounced "FAY-git."

I realize that it's likely too much to ask that there is anyone on this forum who actually knew or worked with Max, but perhaps there is someone who has worked with someone else who worked with Max, and that in conversation the correct pronunciation was stated clearly...

-Doug (with my shield, not yet upon it)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1785
  • Likes Given: 3387
Re: Pronunciations
« Reply #1 on: 06/06/2014 12:39 PM »
Here's another one -- Rocco Petrone.  Was the last name pronounced "peh-TRONE" or "peh-TRONE-ee"?

I guess it depends, in each case, on how long the family had been "Americanizing" the pronunciations of the names.

-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 615
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Pronunciations
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2014 03:08 PM »
This thread is for all those names in the historical spaceflight pantheon for which we might have questionable pronunciation data.  As an avid reader of space flight histories, I always like to have the right sounds in my head when I read someone's name.

My first example is Max Faget.  I always pronounce it, in my head, with the original French version of the name.  I don't have access to the various pronunciation symbols here, like the "long" and "short" vowel sound symbols, but doing my best with the regular ASCII set, I pronounce it "fah-ZHAY."

The obvious alternative that I would hope was not used is a sound-alike for a derogatory word, pronounced roughly "FAGG-it" with a short "a" vowel sound.  However, I recently noticed that Wikipedia says it was pronounced "FAY-git."

I realize that it's likely too much to ask that there is anyone on this forum who actually knew or worked with Max, but perhaps there is someone who has worked with someone else who worked with Max, and that in conversation the correct pronunciation was stated clearly...

Actually, Wikipedia said "fah-GET", which is yet another choice (or a lack of understanding of phonetic spelling...). I was in meetings with him, and I know a number of people who worked with him, and have never heard his name pronounced any other way that the "French" version - "fah-ZHAY". I don't recall ever hearing him say his last name, so I can't give a more definitive answer.

Tags: