Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 851209 times)

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1320 on: 06/03/2014 03:47 PM »
Hats off to whoever did the latest P frame work on 12 (221).  Steam plume as hot engines hit water? I spent a lot of time on the I frame (hack as it is / I am) and never thought we'd see this kind of detail.

Offline Chris Bergin

Oh I do like the idea behind this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyZDgyJBYz3OXD3JbDJzNww

That is a great one stop page to see the progress over time.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 1676
« Reply #1322 on: 06/03/2014 04:05 PM »
Correcting the motion vectors would help eliminate that "melting" sensation we see in some of the pframes, particularly on the rocket body. Presumably the MVs for almost all of the MBs in that lower section of the screen should be zeroed out.

I found this piece of code which may help in the identification of where and how the motion vectors are encoded in the pframes - check out the printMVmatrix() function:

http://www.princeton.edu/~jiasic/cos435/motion_vector.c
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 380
  • Likes Given: 1250
« Reply #1323 on: 06/03/2014 04:19 PM »
Guys, I need some help here. I finally got around to setting up my local system for pframe work, but I'm running into problems. I got the latest ffmpeg from the wiki and the latest ts files from here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1205739#msg1205739
Then I made a txt filecontaining: FRAME0:<latest mmb for part 5 iframe>=FRAME1:
Then I ran this command:
FFmpeg-spacexdebug1/ffmpeg -mmb `cat pframe/part5_mmb.txt` -err_detect ignore_err -i final_fixed/sh_rawsplit_part_05_fixed_.ts -f image2 frames/test%2d.png
Got back 20 pngs as expected and the iframe looks correct. But pframes are wrong. I attach a picture of the first pframe I get and what it looks like in online editor. If I set FRAME0:0:0:-1 the first few pframes come out completely blank gray, but later pframes start showing something.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1324 on: 06/03/2014 04:32 PM »
Correcting the motion vectors would help eliminate that "melting" sensation we see in some of the pframes, particularly on the rocket body. Presumably the MVs for almost all of the MBs in that lower section of the screen should be zeroed out.

I found this piece of code which may help in the identification of where and how the motion vectors are encoded in the pframes - check out the printMVmatrix() function:

http://www.princeton.edu/~jiasic/cos435/motion_vector.c

There is interesting data in the rocket body in some of the pframes.  You can see the black spot of dirt fading away from all the wet air rushing past it, for example. 

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #1325 on: 06/03/2014 04:32 PM »
Guys, I need some help here. I finally got around to setting up my local system for pframe work, but I'm running into problems. I got the latest ffmpeg from the wiki and the latest ts files from here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1205739#msg1205739
Then I made a txt filecontaining: FRAME0:<latest mmb for part 5 iframe>=FRAME1:
Then I ran this command:
FFmpeg-spacexdebug1/ffmpeg -mmb `cat pframe/part5_mmb.txt` -err_detect ignore_err -i final_fixed/sh_rawsplit_part_05_fixed_.ts -f image2 frames/test%2d.png
Got back 20 pngs as expected and the iframe looks correct. But pframes are wrong. I attach a picture of the first pframe I get and what it looks like in online editor. If I set FRAME0:0:0:-1 the first few pframes come out completely blank gray, but later pframes start showing something.

What am I doing wrong?

Try this:

FFmpeg-spacexdebug1/ffmpeg -threads 1 -mmb `cat pframe/part5_mmb.txt` -err_detect ignore_err -i final_fixed/sh_rawsplit_part_05_fixed_.ts -f image2 frames/test%2d.png

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 380
  • Likes Given: 1250
« Reply #1326 on: 06/03/2014 04:43 PM »
Try this:

FFmpeg-spacexdebug1/ffmpeg -threads 1 -mmb `cat pframe/part5_mmb.txt` -err_detect ignore_err -i final_fixed/sh_rawsplit_part_05_fixed_.ts -f image2 frames/test%2d.png

:D So many thanks.

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1327 on: 06/03/2014 04:48 PM »

I agree it is awesome. Of course I will beg for more :-) ... It would be sweet to have a slow motion (3 fps?) copy running immediately after the 15 fps video.

Offline Req

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 2581
« Reply #1328 on: 06/03/2014 06:12 PM »
Unfortunately, it looks like the MMBs can create an image request URL that's larger than the ~2KB Google Sheet's IMAGE function can manage.

A bit ironic considering the editor had to be modified to deal with the long MMBs.  It still works for all the individual p frames though, which is great!

I'm tinkering with a work-around.  Basically a proxy that allows a much shorter URL to request the image.  Currently sorting out how to cache and respond with 304's to avoid quickly using up the paltry 10GB/month I get on my chosen host. (If anyone with more bandwidth is willing to host the simple php image proxy script once I'm done, let me know.)

I'll host any files this project needs, or even any daemon as long as I don't have to jump through flaming hoops to get it running on a CentOS 5 system(or systems).  Primary circuit is a 90th percentile 10g line that usually sees less than 75Mbps of it's 1Gbps monthly commit, so LOTS of free bandwidth(something like 250TB/mo) is sitting around right now.

Hit me with a PM anytime.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 06:15 PM by Req »

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #1329 on: 06/03/2014 07:34 PM »
Hi guys,

My attempt at fixing the luma/chroma for iframe 14 (iframe 261). I spent way to much time on this ;).

I find this frame very hard to fix: this mmb is huge. Maybe somebody else has a more elegant fix.

It looks a lot better though.  8)

Regards,

arnezami
« Last Edit: 06/03/2014 07:51 PM by arnezami »

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #1330 on: 06/03/2014 08:05 PM »
Hi guys,

My attempt at fixing the luma/chroma for iframe 14 (iframe 261). I spent way to much time on this ;).

I find this frame very hard to fix: this mmb is huge. Maybe somebody else has a more elegant fix.

Regards,

arnezami

WOW! I thought that this frame is a lost case.

You really are advancing state of the art of MPEG video recovery.

Offline Lourens

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #1331 on: 06/03/2014 08:23 PM »
Hi guys,

Regards,

arnezami
Wow! That's really impressive!

Having a huge mmb does raise the question of whether we can define some kind of measure of how "real" and how "retouched" a certain frame is. Percentage of untouched macroblocks? Percentage of flipped bits? Any ideas?

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 1676
« Reply #1332 on: 06/03/2014 08:29 PM »
Having a huge mmb does raise the question of whether we can define some kind of measure of how "real" and how "retouched" a certain frame is. Percentage of untouched macroblocks? Percentage of flipped bits? Any ideas?

I'd steer clear of describing any of this as "retouched." The effort here is to restore a highly damaged product as close to its original "real" state as possible. We're not adding anything new or fictional to the video as "retouch" might imply, we're restoring it. Perhaps a better measure would be how corrupted the original frame was as compared to its restored version.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline JohnKiel

• United States
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1333 on: 06/03/2014 08:49 PM »
Unfortunately, it looks like the MMBs can create an image request URL that's larger than the ~2KB Google Sheet's IMAGE function can manage.

A bit ironic considering the editor had to be modified to deal with the long MMBs.  It still works for all the individual p frames though, which is great!

I'm tinkering with a work-around.  Basically a proxy that allows a much shorter URL to request the image.  Currently sorting out how to cache and respond with 304's to avoid quickly using up the paltry 10GB/month I get on my chosen host. (If anyone with more bandwidth is willing to host the simple php image proxy script once I'm done, let me know.)

I'll host any files this project needs, or even any daemon as long as I don't have to jump through flaming hoops to get it running on a CentOS 5 system(or systems).  Primary circuit is a 90th percentile 10g line that usually sees less than 75Mbps of it's 1Gbps monthly commit, so LOTS of free bandwidth(something like 250TB/mo) is sitting around right now.

Hit me with a PM anytime.

Thanks Req,  I've sent you a PM.

All the spreadsheets should now be pointing to my image proxy script.  Seems to be running alright, but I notice some strange caching issues that  could be related to he script timing out (current host doesn't let me adjust the timeout).

Changes to MMBs may not show up in the images immediately.  Give it a little time, refresh your browser, etc.

After I finish cleaning the script up, I'll upload it somewhere.  Maybe the git for SpaceXVideoApp2 is the best place for it?

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1334 on: 06/03/2014 08:54 PM »
Keep in mind, there are THOUSANDS of bits in each frame, so a 'long' MMB (in this case 129 commands) is still a very SMALL portion of the data contained there-in.
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1335 on: 06/03/2014 09:03 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that the channel is putting out 'updated' videos at a really high rate... it tends to over-saturate the 'cool' effect of watching it develop.

So while a few builds a day is cool up front, perhaps it is worthwhile to delete or archive all but one video per day every couple days.  That way someone who goes there can truly appreciate the evolution of the video from initial to final form without being inundated by small deltas.
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

One thing I've noticed is that the channel is putting out 'updated' videos at a really high rate... it tends to over-saturate the 'cool' effect of watching it develop.

So while a few builds a day is cool up front, perhaps it is worthwhile to delete or archive all but one video per day every couple days.  That way someone who goes there can truly appreciate the evolution of the video from initial to final form without being inundated by small deltas.

I think it's triggered every hour and ignored if there are no changes, perhaps we can make this 3 hours or something.

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1337 on: 06/03/2014 09:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Regards,

arnezami

That looks about an average length MMB to me.     ;D  Beautiful work. 

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #1338 on: 06/03/2014 09:40 PM »

I think it's triggered every hour and ignored if there are no changes, perhaps we can make this 3 hours or something.

Maybe consider to slow it down to. Something like 3 times or 5 times slower? Or is this or easy to configure?

I dunno wronkiew has to do it =)

Tags: