Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 913704 times)

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 90
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1040 on: 05/27/2014 12:54 PM »
Here is rawsplit_part_2_fixed.ts again this time with all TS-data packets headers and stuff fixed.

I will now check all those parts that are submitted by others,

Done is part: 1,2,7,8,15

Part 7 now has a (nearly empty) p-frame at the end (thus 1 i-frame and 20 p-frames in the file!), otherwise if we discard it, it looks good, part 8 also has now the right number of p-frames and could directly be put in the online editor.

Could you check a last time the end of part 7?

Thank you for everything!

Online Shanuson

• Liked: 184
  • Likes Given: 466
« Reply #1041 on: 05/27/2014 02:45 PM »
Yes some parts still have one overlapping TS packet at the beginning and the end.
Dont worry about that.

Online Chris Bergin

We are slowly adding frames to the movie, so I put an updated version. Big thanks in particular to the anonymous people who cleaned part 248!

97 frames (some of them only very partially recovered) out of ~270 were used.

Wow. Leg deploy!

Amazing work guys. Every day is a fun day when visiting this thread!

Offline moralec

Hi guys!

Can I suggest us to take a minute in order to outline our roadmap ahead? My feeling is that there is a lot of clarity on the current tasks, but little has been discussed on what to do when we are done with the macroblock fixes (besides some discussion about how to edit and release the video)

This is my (very preliminary) proposal:

Phase 1: .ts file and MMB fixes (ongoing)
- Finishing the process of fixing frame headers and Extracting the missing p-frames (thanks to Shanuson,  princess, deruch and mvpel for the amazing work so far!)
- Fixing frames (thanks to everyone that has contributed. And in particular to SwissCheese that has been delivering inputs every day). 

Phase 2: Further improvements (the next logical step: video experts, help me out!)
- I'm assuming there are many other things we could do to improve the video even further. Possible Interpolation of frames in order to fix frames or obtain a smother video? Maybe even a 24fps one?

Phase 3: Release and Distribution
- Define license for distribution
- Edit final version of the video (previous suggestions would go here).
- Write articles to go with the video: Maybe one general one to present the results, and a technical one to describe the video recovery process
- Formally release the video (possibly by publishing the articles as if they where a press release, and the video in the may NSF homepage).

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?  ;)

Edit: Added a Roadmap Page in the Wiki: http://spacexlanding.wikispaces.com/Roadmap
« Last Edit: 05/27/2014 05:40 PM by moralec »

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 536
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #1044 on: 05/27/2014 03:43 PM »

I think Chris needs to ask his SpaceX contacts for a reasonably permissive license for the video.

Online Chris Bergin

I think Chris needs to ask his SpaceX contacts for a reasonably permissive license for the video.

I can ask about that. If someone wants to post a question to send them, I'll fire that their way.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 755
  • Likes Given: 870
« Reply #1046 on: 05/27/2014 03:55 PM »
Many of the lurkers on the thread would love to contribute.

Is there some possibility of expanding the eyeball set so that we can "vote" for what constitutes a better frame out of tens or hundreds of possibilities. For example you smart people coders would generate images but would not have to analyze each of them. Instead feed the large collection  to a bunch of us of folks volunteering as "lookers" who could vote on the best looking versions a particular frame ( maybe with side by side comparisons).  you free yourselves up to generate the pictures, and then the top vote-getter images could go back to the author for a definitive version pick.

Not sure this is helpful, but if it makes the process quicker and leverages more brain and eye power, it could help. Yes?
Colonize Mars!

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 536
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #1047 on: 05/27/2014 03:59 PM »

I can ask about that. If someone wants to post a question to send them, I'll fire that their way.

That *is* the question: "Please define under what license do you allow the repaired video to be distributed".

Online Chris Bergin

That *is* the question: "Please define under what license do you allow the repaired video to be distributed".

Oh, ok! :)

Offline Eer

• Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #1049 on: 05/27/2014 04:15 PM »

I have one contact in the communications/PR group there, and will connect with them to see if we can get SpaceX to formally clarify the original file on the raw.ts file that they made available, and which is serving as the master file for all the great video tech-heads who are doing so much to cleanup the stream and fix errors so we all get the historical view into this video data that this first in the history of human technology deserves:  a successful vertical soft-landing of an orbital booster stage rocket.

That would be awesome. Please ask your contact to see if the original can be released CC-BY-SA ... please avoid NC and ND!!!! Version 4 would be best I think. Here's more on the license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

I don't know if a barrage of requests would be useful but maybe asking via another channel or two might be good.

Chris - see the above message for license discussion and expressed preferences.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1425
  • Likes Given: 3852
« Reply #1050 on: 05/27/2014 04:16 PM »

As has been discussed earlier, it may be a good idea to suggest a license, and as suggested creative commons is nice and permissive.

Edit: Fixed quotes.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2014 04:21 PM by mme »
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6743
  • Likes Given: 4524
« Reply #1051 on: 05/27/2014 04:30 PM »

Please be more specific... "can we have it licensed under CC-BY-SA version 4, please" and "WITHOUT the NC or ND clauses attached, please"

I have some expertise in this licensing area having worked with a lot of images on Wikimedia Commons, and the Creative Commons license family is probably the best.

- we want BY to allow us to modify the original (recovery is a kind of modification) and redistribute derivative works
- we want SA to require that any derivative work continue to carry the same license (this protects SpaceX and NSF rights in case someone makes a fake) and that it be identified as to the source.
- we do NOT want NC because that restricts commercial ... arguably "commercial" is rather broad and NSF itself is "commercial" so we want to avoid NC
- we do NOT want ND because that restricts redistribution, we want to be able to redistribute and enable others to redistribute too... SA means that attribution info HAS to be carried along

« Last Edit: 05/27/2014 04:34 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
« Reply #1052 on: 05/27/2014 04:50 PM »
However, "NC" may be desirable because we wouldn't necessarily want, say, Lockheed or Boeing using this SpaceX footage in an advertisement, even if they did attribute it to SpaceX in some way.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6743
  • Likes Given: 4524
« Reply #1053 on: 05/27/2014 04:54 PM »
However, "NC" may be desirable because we wouldn't necessarily want, say, Lockheed or Boeing using this SpaceX footage in an advertisement, even if they did attribute it to SpaceX in some way.

Using NC to control that is a very blunt instrument... as I said someone could argue that NSF posting it, is itself a commercial use.

Wikipedia avoids tagging things NC

Better for SpaceX to go back at this putative competitor in other ways. The truth usually works best.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 415
  • Likes Given: 1307
« Reply #1054 on: 05/27/2014 05:02 PM »
Looks like the current version of online editor for p frames cannot handle very long mmbs (like iframe72). That's unfortunate.

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #1055 on: 05/27/2014 05:45 PM »
Swiss and/or Shanuson, can you tell us which of the .ts files are currently "stable" and ready for mb fixing? I took a look at frame 131. The fixed_edit8_part_131.ts presumably gives < 19 frames. I downloaded rawsplit_part_8_fixed.ts and found that the mb fixes on http://spacexlanding.wikispaces.com/Frames+131-149 resulted in a scrambled image. I can go ahead and port the fixes to rawsplit_part_8_fixed.ts, but I want to make sure that is our more-or-less final version before I put more time into it.

Offline moralec

This is just a proof of concept. I deciphered a few of the timestamps on the images and interpolated the rest. Due to interlacing and propagating errors, even if we get good mbs in the pframes the timestamps are still going to be gibberish most of the time. So, I propose we just redraw them. Any concerns about this?

A bit late, but I really like this idea. How would you proceed wronkiew? Is it something that can be done in parallel with the MMB task? or we should wait until we have a full reconstructed video?

Online Shanuson

• Liked: 184
  • Likes Given: 466
« Reply #1057 on: 05/27/2014 06:11 PM »
Swiss and/or Shanuson, can you tell us which of the .ts files are currently "stable" and ready for mb fixing? I took a look at frame 131. The fixed_edit8_part_131.ts presumably gives < 19 frames. I downloaded rawsplit_part_8_fixed.ts and found that the mb fixes on http://spacexlanding.wikispaces.com/Frames+131-149 resulted in a scrambled image. I can go ahead and port the fixes to rawsplit_part_8_fixed.ts, but I want to make sure that is our more-or-less final version before I put more time into it.

rawsplit_part_8_fixed.ts will be used to create a final raw file. at least that is my idea.
Also all files currently active could still/will be modified before put back into a final raw file.
Working on the 6 Ts files I assigned _fixed to should be save.

Offline somepitch

• Vancouver
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #1058 on: 05/27/2014 06:23 PM »
Many of the lurkers on the thread would love to contribute.

Is there some possibility of expanding the eyeball set so that we can "vote" for what constitutes a better frame out of tens or hundreds of possibilities. For example you smart people coders would generate images but would not have to analyze each of them. Instead feed the large collection  to a bunch of us of folks volunteering as "lookers" who could vote on the best looking versions a particular frame ( maybe with side by side comparisons).  you free yourselves up to generate the pictures, and then the top vote-getter images could go back to the author for a definitive version pick.

Not sure this is helpful, but if it makes the process quicker and leverages more brain and eye power, it could help. Yes?

I second this, would love to help in any way I can but don't have the technical skills for the current methods

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #1059 on: 05/27/2014 06:47 PM »
This is just a proof of concept. I deciphered a few of the timestamps on the images and interpolated the rest. Due to interlacing and propagating errors, even if we get good mbs in the pframes the timestamps are still going to be gibberish most of the time. So, I propose we just redraw them. Any concerns about this?

A bit late, but I really like this idea. How would you proceed wronkiew? Is it something that can be done in parallel with the MMB task? or we should wait until we have a full reconstructed video?

My current thinking on this is that rather than putting a duplicate timestamp in a matte, I'll redraw the known timestamps using the bitmap numerals already displayed. No interpolated timestamps added.

When I get a chance I also want to put together a system that automatically generates png sequences from the mmbs, zips them up, and uploads them to the wiki. That way anyone can download the frames and do their own batch processing on them.

Tags: