Author Topic: March 27th 2014 House Hearing: A Review of the NASA Budget for Fiscal Year 2015  (Read 21676 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1462
  • Likes Given: 887
Subcommittee on Space - A Review of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Budget for Fiscal Year 2015
http://science.house.gov/hearing/subcommittee-space-review-national-aeronautics-and-space-administration-budget-fiscal-year

Bolden was the witness. I missed most of it but it was apparently a pretty good hearing.
« Last Edit: 03/27/2014 04:19 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
Subcommittee on Space - A Review of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Budget for Fiscal Year 2015
http://science.house.gov/hearing/subcommittee-space-review-national-aeronautics-and-space-administration-budget-fiscal-year

Bolden was the witness. I missed most of it but it was apparently a pretty good hearing.

Bet that was pure drama......will wait for the replay :)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 806
It was interesting to see Rep Smith and Administrator Bolden arguing over the Mars 2021 flyby vs. the Asteroid Redirect Mission. We could do both if we weren't wasting so much money on SLS/Orion.

~Jon

Offline yg1968

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 162
  • Likes Given: 36
I watched most of the hearing live this morning, and this is what jumped out at me.

In response to a question about continued access to ISS, and if NASA could safely shut down ISS for some period of time if Russia cut off our access, Bolden stated that without ISS and Commercial Crew, he would cancel SLS, Orion, and everything else BLEO. That BLEO is wholly dependent on Commercial Crew.

He stated that it is Congress's fault that Commercial Crew IOC has been pushed back from 2015 to 2017. He also stated that additional funds could speed up Commercial Crew. Whereas in the past, his position has always been that additional funds would not speed up SLS/Orion.

This is from memory, so don't take it as verbatim quotation.

Online jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 806
I watched most of the hearing live this morning, and this is what jumped out at me.

In response to a question about continued access to ISS, and if NASA could safely shut down ISS for some period of time if Russia cut off our access, Bolden stated that without ISS and Commercial Crew, he would cancel SLS, Orion, and everything else BLEO. That BLEO is wholly dependent on Commercial Crew.

He stated that it is Congress's fault that Commercial Crew IOC has been pushed back from 2015 to 2017. He also stated that additional funds could speed up Commercial Crew. Whereas in the past, his position has always been that additional funds would not speed up SLS/Orion.

This is from memory, so don't take it as verbatim quotation.

That sounds pretty close to what I was seeing on twitter feeds from Jeff Foust and Marcia Smith.

I think his point was that there was still research that he felt was needed for BEO exploration that needed to be performed on ISS. And that if you canceled it before that research was complete, you're just kidding yourself about being able to do BEO exploration in any sort of sane or relatively safe manner. I don't usually agree with Bolden, but I thought it was an interesting point.

~Jon

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8889
  • Likes Given: 5746
I think this is partially in reference to the upcoming year-long expeditions. Quite true that this is critical for beyond-lunar exploration, and it's perfect to do it at ISS. Also, ISS can work as an excellent analogue for Martian mission simulations.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline yg1968

« Last Edit: 03/28/2014 10:43 am by yg1968 »

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1283
  • Likes Given: 2500
Thank you very much for the links! I wish sometimes they were in higher resolution. NASA losing almost a quarter billion dollars from it's budget. Disgusting!! :'(
« Last Edit: 03/28/2014 06:28 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1177
  • Likes Given: 716
You could tell this hearing was going to be a bit different from the very beginning, when Rep. Palazzo did not open with the usual partisan broadside on the administration for not adequately funding Orion and SLS.  Probably a sign that Gen. Bolden's pre-emptive strike a couple of days earlier on Congress for not fully funding commercial crew had succeeded in wrong-footing them.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
Bolden needs to learn "respect" for Congress, this performance was way, way to combative. :(
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online JBF

• Liked: 418
  • Likes Given: 751
Bolden needs to learn "respect" for Congress, this performance was way, way to combative. :(

I disagree; when has respect for congress advanced any of this administrations policies.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1283
  • Likes Given: 2500

On the contrary; I think he was finally showing some spine - he was almost channeling Mike Griffin!! ;)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline yg1968

I disagree. It's about time that he fights back. The 2-year delay of commercial crew is Congress' fault.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5942
  • Likes Given: 2006
No, it was about time that a top NASA official told Congress how reality works: No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

Congress is stalling commercial crew and thus it is stalling home-grown US access to LEO and the ISS. Bolden is entirely correct in stating that no access to LEO means no need for SLS, Orion and BLEO HSF. I really don't mind that Bolden states this in his testimony in a somewhat blunt fashion. Blunt seems to be the only thing US Congress actually understands these days.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3069
  • Likes Given: 8374
The General did good... He bridged Commercial Crew to ISS to Orion/SLS nicely...  ;)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline muomega0

• Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 1
It was interesting to see Rep Smith and Administrator Bolden arguing over the Mars 2021 flyby vs. the Asteroid Redirect Mission. We could do both if we weren't wasting so much money on SLS/Orion.  ~Jon
No worries...yet another "replan" is working out with PICP  Divert funding to Orion on Delta, not COTS.
Smith criticizes the HSF portion of the ARM mission.."it has no connection to a Mars"... but moments later, ignorantly, wants NASA to take the capsule on a Mars flyby...when it should parked and powered down at L2 during a Mars mission since the DSH will house crew during the long trip to Mars.   Squyres correctly points out that he does not see the connection between the HSF portion of the ARM mission and those required for Mars.
Orion of course needs an advanced heat shield for ARM or Mars return and needs better GCR protection, all extra mass items that conflict with lower costs and safety.  What to do?.......
I disagree. It's about time that he fights back. The 2-year delay of commercial crew is Congress' fault.
Orion on Delta to ISS until SLS can serve as a 'backup'.....morph SLS to be common with EELV......affordable?    If wishes were horses... 
What does commercial crew have to do with Exploration?..it is only there until ISS splashdown...yes bolden needs to show respect for Congressional Design Teams who disregard Figures of Merit used to determine an architecture: Affordability, Sustainability, Safety, Schedule, Benefits
...the original SLS scenario (which has been slowly improving) seemed to have been deliberately set up to be as off-putting as possible... 
...The sum of all this political stuff has prevented any new funding for missions and has squeezed SLS and especially Orion badly,
... not to mention pitting SLS/Orion and Commercial Crew against one another.  (Why is Commercial Crew filed under Exploration anyway?)  Hopefully the situation will blow over...

Yup.  Orion and SLS were always headed to ISS and the lunar surface but it took several years to show the world that thy have nothing to do with BEO exploration, despite the claims to the contrary.  Commercial need not apply, except for "commercial" EELV.
« Last Edit: 03/28/2014 03:33 pm by muomega0 »

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 90
Congressman Posey later denied he was against Commercial Crew, rather he said that NASA would have plenty of money for exploration if they would only cancel all climate research. When you look at the relative sizes of the climate and SLS/Orion budgets this does not seem too likely, but that's his position.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11358
  • Likes Given: 335
Congressman Posey later denied he was against Commercial Crew, rather he said that NASA would have plenty of money for exploration if they would only cancel all climate research.

He would be for it, if they were east coast launches

Tags: