Poll

What grade would you give Mike Griffin for his performance as NASA Admin so far

A
B
C
D
E
F

Author Topic: Hubble worth the risk?  (Read 4641 times)

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
Hubble worth the risk?
« on: 04/13/2005 02:11 pm »
Personally, Hubble is great, but to risk seven crew and a Shuttle for another five years or so of life is rediculous to me. Views?

Offline WARPed

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Hubble worth the risk?
« Reply #1 on: 04/13/2005 05:34 pm »
Hubble has offered us some great insights into space and enhanced our understanding/posed important questions about our surroundings in the universe.

Lets go back to when Hubble was launched.  It was delayed due to the terrible loss of Challenger and her crew (not a dissimilar situation to us with Columbia now).  The same question could have been raised then.  Should we launch this thing at the risk of another orbiter and her crew?  But then look at just some of its achievements:

June 1994: NASA releases Orion Nebula images that confirm the births of planets around newborn stars.

November 1995: NASA releases Eagle Nebula images showing where stars are born.

January 1996: NASA releases the "Deep Field" images in which Hubble peers back in time more than 10 billion years. Reveals at least 1,500 galaxies at various stages of development.

February 2001: New images "ant nebula".

More can be seen here: http://www.seds.org/hst/hst.html

We would have a great deal less understanding of Space if it hadn't been launched and hadn't been serviced by the orbiters and their crew.  Understanding that I think is important.  I say Yes...after all who know what we will find in another 5 years.  ;)
WARPed

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

« Reply #2 on: 04/16/2005 06:43 pm »
Is it worth seven dead astronants and the end of the Shuttle program? Answer me that, cause that's what's at risk.

Offline newsartist

« Reply #3 on: 04/16/2005 07:11 pm »
Yes!

There are thousands of items that could lead to chains that cause loss of mission and crew. The next system is only 'safer' because it isn't ready to fly yet. It will have the same number of possible failure modes but they haven't even been designed yet, and they seem too distant to consider.

The biggest, most important, system of all is now at risk; the human team. If you are afraid to fly, you have lost their confidence, and it will show up in their work, be it astronaut, launch crew, builder or designer.

Offline WARPed

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: 04/17/2005 12:23 pm »
NASA_Twix_JSC - 16/4/2005  8:43 PM

Is it worth seven dead astronants and the end of the Shuttle program? Answer me that, cause that's what's at risk.

If you were to say to me that a mission to repair Hubble would definatley result in the loss of a ship and crew I would say No.  A human life is worth much more than that.  If you were to say there was a 50% or even 10% risk of loss of ship and crew I would say No.

Risk is measured in everything in life and as it stands 2 crews and ships have sadly been lost in over 100 missions.  That is less then 2% risk and safety is being tightened all the time.  Considering a Hubble repair mission would be only 1 flight in about 25-30 planned for the shuttles the risk it requres in comparison to the risk required to complete the ISS (most of the other missions) is tiny.

Risk plays a part in life when you drive your car or fly in a plane.  There comes a point when it is an acceptable risk and those that take part in it accept it and face up to it.  I feel this is an acceptable risk.
WARPed

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 04/17/2005 03:18 pm »
WARPed - 17/4/2005  7:23 AM

NASA_Twix_JSC - 16/4/2005  8:43 PM

If you were to say to me that a mission to repair Hubble would definatley result in the loss of a ship and crew I would say No.  A human life is worth much more than that.  If you were to say there was a 50% or even 10% risk of loss of ship and crew I would say No.

Risk is measured in everything in life and as it stands 2 crews and ships have sadly been lost in over 100 missions.  That is less then 2% risk and safety is being tightened all the time.  Considering a Hubble repair mission would be only 1 flight in about 25-30 planned for the shuttles the risk it requres in comparison to the risk required to complete the ISS (most of the other missions) is tiny.

Risk plays a part in life when you drive your car or fly in a plane.  There comes a point when it is an acceptable risk and those that take part in it accept it and face up to it.  I feel this is an acceptable risk.

There's always risk, so Twix's comment isn't fair, I'd say.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #6 on: 04/17/2005 03:44 pm »
Personally, Hubble has a few years left as it is. A servicing mission would advance that by x amount of years. However, it's not going to be 'that' long before a successor is launched.

I personally do not like the idea of a servicing mission using up an STS mission. Spend the money on a better telescope. Let's not forget this is a faulty telescope after all!

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

« Reply #7 on: 04/17/2005 03:55 pm »
It's a working piece of kit. Got to be better than deorbiting?

Tags: