Author Topic: Phil Pickles - Vista Models 1/32 LM  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 444
  • Likes Given: 388
Phil Pickles - Vista Models 1/32 LM
« on: 02/11/2014 08:27 PM »
I bought a 1/32 LM via eBay before Xmas, and the vendor failed to deliver and no longer replies to my e-mails. I suspect that I am yet another victim of Phil Pickles's online frauds. It turns out that two other people have posted negative feedback on eBay recently saying that he's done a runner with their cash, and a bit of research indicates that he's already been subject to court action over similar activities relating to undelivered LUT models.

Can anyone assist me in my attempts to get a refund or even the actual model?

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Phil Pickles - Vista Models 1/32 LM
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2014 10:00 PM »
You should contact e-bay for a refund, but it might be too late for a protest'

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7642
  • Likes Given: 5473
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2014 10:01 PM »
I bought a 1/32 LM via eBay before Xmas, and the vendor failed to deliver and no longer replies to my e-mails. I suspect that I am yet another victim of Phil Pickles's online frauds. It turns out that two other people have posted negative feedback on eBay recently saying that he's done a runner with their cash, and a bit of research indicates that he's already been subject to court action over similar activities relating to undelivered LUT models.

Can anyone assist me in my attempts to get a refund or even the actual model?

If you paid with PayPal you probably can just charge the seller back without too much trouble... if with a credit card, also should be able to charge back. But hurry, there are time limits on these things.

If you paid cash or check or COD you are probably out of luck, sadly. (but in this day and age, why would you pay that way?)

Sorry for your loss.
« Last Edit: 02/11/2014 10:01 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Bob Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2014 08:22 AM »
Sadly, eBay seem less than interested. He gamed their system from the start, offering a delivery date close to the maximum refund time then sent me a sad message saying he'd had a family bereavement, following which he would have to delay delivery still further. Once he got to the eBay 45 day limit he stopped communicating. It's pretty obvious that the intent was to defraud from the start!

A search of the Yahoo! Space Modelers Forum revealed that I wasn't his first victim - he's been at it for years! I'll be contacting the local Police etc, but they rarely do anything about this sort of thing despite any evidence presented to them...

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2014 12:23 PM »
That sounds really bad Bob.

Obviously, threads like this can be a legal issue, but they'd have to contact us first - at which point you'll have your route to go after him, so I'm leaving this on to help Bob get some answers! ;D

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/2014 12:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you got scammed, Bob. He did this back in the 90's and I was one of the few to actually receive a kit.

I did post a message on the Spacemodellers e-mail group once it became apparent it was himand saying that a lot of folk would be after him after his previous LM/LUT non-deliveries and that ebay/Paypal have changed their limit to 30 days in which to make a claim. I must admit I've never had a problem with getting a refund from them, but if you've run out of time that would be a different matter.

I'm surprised he has resurfaced and trying the same trick.

Keith

Offline Bob Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2014 07:40 PM »
Astonishingly, eBay have just sent me a message saying that I will be refunded in full. And yes, they let slip that it was indeed Phil Pickles who was the vendor (he uses the eBay handle 'tetroxide2' - a suitably toxic name, methinks!). I had previously come to the conclusion that it was probably him, but it's nice to know for sure.

What a pity, I was *really* looking forward to that LM model...

I'll put his obvious potential sales into my searches on eBay and if I see him advertising anything I'll post here as a warning (and perhaps CollectSpace as well).

Interestingly, this is the *third* time I've been scammed on eBay - and each time the bait has been an Apollo model (the first two were both 1/96 Revell Saturn V kits at the time before the German re-issues). Once bitten, thrice a space model collector! I hope my dear wife never reads these forums...

And Keith, please bring your LM to the next Scottish IPMS do so that you may watch my little face crumple with jealousy - not only will it be an outstanding model-making effort on your part (as usual) but it's one that I'll never get the chance to try myself!

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/2014 08:51 PM »
Glad to hear that you got a full refund, Bob. A few of the guys on the e-mail group are confirming the same.

The weird thing is that at one point there actually was a model - it wasn't an empty offer. However very few ever got their kits and there is a long line of folk who wish they could get their hands on Mr. Pickles. At least nowadays with Paypal and ebay there is a method of getting recompense. In the mid 90's there was no such method.

I'll try and remember Orion for the Scot Nats!

Keith

Offline tetrox

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: 02/16/2014 01:27 AM »
I think it right that I should respond and apologise openly re my e-bay Lunar Module model listing.
Whilst it appeared otherwise, the model was available and the last thing I intended was to cause the problems it has.
Since placing the listing I encountered a number of problems however things fell apart when my brother was killed in an accident in Spain about five weeks ago which has been a nightmare for myself and family  both from a personal standpoint but sorting out logistics and arrangements and frankly I have found it difficult to cope with things .
To the best of my knowledge I notified those outstanding what had happened and that I was to have sent outstanding models the following week.
Unfortunately some purchasers had quite rightly and understandably applied for refunds which caused a heads up at e-bay and my account was locked with me paying back e-bay and as far as I am aware refunds being given.Prior to this I had attempted to explain circumstances to e-bay though trying to communicate with them left a lot to be desired and I should also note that before all this I had issued refunds  directly to those who had requested them.
I spent so much time creating this model and none of what has happened was planned ,intended to deceive or to cause problems to purchasers and I sincerely apologise to anyone affected and fully appreciate your anger and frustration  .
For the time being should you wish to communicate directly please use:
[email protected]

With many thanks
Phil

« Last Edit: 02/16/2014 01:53 AM by tetrox »

Tags: