Author Topic: New NSF "Likes "Feedback Thread  (Read 38366 times)

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
New NSF "Likes "Feedback Thread
« on: 01/13/2014 07:24 pm »
Right, test like thread... :)

in the mean time, during my rant, I've had a play with the likes and I THINK i've solved the issue breaking likes.

caveat:

- It only works on this default theme (mobile theme is out, needs work anyway)
- you can only like every 300 120 seconds (for now, until I get the software bugs worked out)
- you need to have at least 1 like yourself before you can like somebody else.
- the double likes on the bars will go once I clean the software (theme issue)
- double entry in stats needs fixing, i know
- you can only "like" the fist post in the thread for now (might change that, up to Chris)
- you can not like your own post
- silly hearts replaced (thanks QuantumG for the icon)

tweaks coming....
« Last Edit: 01/14/2014 09:20 pm by Jester »

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
Re: New NSF "Likes "Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/2014 07:30 pm »
- you can only "like" the fist post in the thread for now
Please keep this, or provide an option to not see the names or numbers on every post liked. While it might interest me now and then to see likes / names of people who liked it, it would seriously undermine my experience to see how many likes every single post has all the time.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 07:33 pm by Silmfeanor »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #2 on: 01/13/2014 07:31 pm »
- you can only "like" the fist post in the thread for now
Please keep this, or provide an option to not see the names or numbers on every post liked. While it might interest me now and then to see posts, it would seriously undermine my experience to see how many likes every single post has.
A good idea. But if I liked it, then I would be violating the idea! :)

Also the thread title may need fixing, it has some quote wonkiness
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline M129K

• "a historian too many" blog.
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 290
« Reply #3 on: 01/13/2014 07:34 pm »
I liked having the option of liking individual posts, but I didn't like the idea of having everybody know who likes what. I upvote 90% of comments I see, would be kind of annoying to see "M129k likes this" over every page.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #4 on: 01/13/2014 07:47 pm »
I personally like being able to see who has liked a post, but if lots of others don't, then how about only allowing the author of a post to see who has liked it? Also I like being able to see how many likes a particular user has in total, as it is a good indication of credibility/post quality.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 07:48 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/2014 07:54 pm »
I personally like being able to see who has liked a post, but if lots of others don't, then how about only allowing the author of a post to see who has liked it? Also I like being able to see how many likes a particular user has in total, as it is a good indication of credibility/post quality.

The plugin is not very flexible so i've done what I could for now.

P.S.
I'm not the dev of this likes plugin, nor do I want to be, just trying to get it running on NSF, thats it, the rest is for other people, sorry, back to content focus, something about an Orb dump or something....
:)

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #6 on: 01/13/2014 07:56 pm »
I personally like being able to see who has liked a post, but if lots of others don't, then how about only allowing the author of a post to see who has liked it?

Can the amount of message level like information be shrunk to just "X people liked this" with the text being link to detailed like stats (like some messages had a while ago .. "and 2 others" linked to the stats).
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #7 on: 01/13/2014 07:57 pm »

The plugin is not very flexible so i've done what I could for now.

P.S.
I'm not the dev of this likes plugin, nor do I want to be, just trying to get it running on NSF, thats it, the rest is for other people, sorry, back to content focus, something about an Orb dump or something....
:)

Thanks Jester!

I think if likes are limited to the first post of a thread, then probably the like count shown for the user maybe should be suppressed... because the only way to get likes then is to start new threads. Remember that no matter what you want, you will always get what you measure for and we don't necessarily want to incent starting a lot of threads, do we? Any more than we want to incent posting nonce posts just to bump post count.

(As a test I just liked this thread, and it bumped Jester's like count from 19 to 20 ...)
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 07:58 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 01/13/2014 08:22 pm »

- you can not like your own post

Heh! I bet that made a few people on here sigh ;) (But it's right).

We'll see what the feedback is like, and we need people to actually test it. Two people liked this thread, me and no one else posting on this thread?

EDIT: My mistake, it only shows you and one other people (changes each time) on the "who's liked it". Suggests only two people liked it when clearly there's more. So it should be how many people have liked it.....not "you and random other person".

EDIT x2: Yeah, I think we just need amount of likes, no names. And it should be any post (could be a terrible thread starter, and a genius post 20 posts in, for example).

EDIT x3 (Sorry): And if it can be just "like" and no need for the heart icon, even better.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 08:27 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: 01/13/2014 08:41 pm »
I agree, Chris.

Also, a little bug.  Before I clicked like, it said "Chris Bergin and 12 other people like this post".  I clicked like, and it popped this up: "You, Eer, like this".  Should be "You, Eer, and 11 other people like this post".  If we could just have "X people like this post", that would be awesome, and ditch the heart.  A thumbs up maybe?  Not sure what else would go well next to like.

Is there a way to like threads in general and have them sort by "rank"?  I could see this being tricky to find the thread you want, but if that is only an option and not forced by default (if that makes sense)?
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 08:44 pm by Ford Mustang »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #10 on: 01/13/2014 08:48 pm »
I agree, Chris.

Also, a little bug.  Before I clicked like, it said "Chris Bergin and 12 other people like this post".  I clicked like, and it popped this up: "You, Eer, like this".  Should be "You, Eer, and 11 other people like this post".  If we could just have "X people like this post", that would be awesome, and ditch the heart.  A thumbs up maybe?  Not sure what else would go well next to like.

Is there a way to like threads in general and have them sort by "rank"?  I could see this being tricky to find the thread you want, but if that is only an option and not forced by default (if that makes sense)?

Ill see what I can do, the heart I agree, anybody with a better like/unlike icon, please attach to a post and i'll change it on the next update.
as said above, i'm back to content, not dev work for now :) Orb1

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #11 on: 01/13/2014 08:52 pm »
Icon.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #12 on: 01/13/2014 08:57 pm »
Icon.

Freely licensed? Looks good to me if so. Different enough from Facebook's that there should be no issues.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #13 on: 01/13/2014 08:57 pm »
Just a note that I think we should keep the names of who like posts, because if I want to show my appreciation to a member for a post they have made, then I would like that member to know that I have thanked them. Otherwise I will just post "thanks" in the thread anyway, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a like button in the first place. Maybe just have "X people like this post", and then when you click it, it will show the names.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 01/13/2014 09:04 pm »
I agree, Chris.

Ill see what I can do, the heart I agree, anybody with a better like/unlike icon, please attach to a post and i'll change it on the next update.
as said above, i'm back to content, not dev work for now :) Orb1

Thanks! Unexpected bonus progression today, so this was all a bonus! NSF's rock star! :)

And yes, that's a nice one QG!
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 09:04 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kasponaut

• Denmark
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #15 on: 01/13/2014 09:07 pm »
Chris, would it be possible to make is possible to see logged in status on the front page - in oder to avoid going to the forums page first?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #16 on: 01/13/2014 09:14 pm »
Chris, would it be possible to make is possible to see logged in status on the front page - in oder to avoid going to the forums page first?

I don't understand what that has to do with likes....but the forum and news site are separate and being logged in on the news site wouldn't mean anything. It doesn't impact on the news site if you're logged in or not. :)

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #17 on: 01/13/2014 09:24 pm »
hearts replaced, I put update the list in the first post, this was the last one for today, back to work.

Offline Kasponaut

• Denmark
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #18 on: 01/13/2014 09:24 pm »

I don't understand what that has to do with likes....but the forum and news site are separate and being logged in on the news site wouldn't mean anything. It doesn't impact on the news site if you're logged in or not. :)

Sorry for posting this the wrong place, Chris.
You are right about that, but it is used on many other sites, regardless of any impact on the news site :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 01/13/2014 09:38 pm »
hearts replaced, I put update the list in the first post, this was the last one for today, back to work.

Looking great!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography