Author Topic: Beyonce song uses Challenger disaster audio clip  (Read 21095 times)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1275
  • Likes Given: 969
Re: Beyonce song uses Challenger disaster audio clip
« Reply #20 on: 12/31/2013 11:30 AM »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2756
  • Likes Given: 7194
« Reply #21 on: 12/31/2013 11:52 AM »
CNN on it right now... Chris Farley from the WSJ didn't see the point of the clip...
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 12:17 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #22 on: 12/31/2013 12:40 PM »
CNN on it right now... Chris Farley from the WSJ didn't see the point of the clip...

I hope he said more than just that bloody obviously point.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 980
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #23 on: 12/31/2013 01:00 PM »
"The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten," Beyonce said in a statement reported by ABC News on Monday."My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster," Beyonce said in her statement. "The song 'XO' was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/30/showbiz/beyonce-xo-challenger-audio/index.html

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 551
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #24 on: 12/31/2013 01:27 PM »
Getting some minority group to go ballistic about some issue that won't matter to your fan base could be a cynical way of getting consequence-free publicity. A necessary step is to make sure they get to hear about it.

I have often wondered if people do that. Some of these furors seem so manufactured. Is that separate from free speech, if it could be proven you specifically set out to injure someone with words without any motivation except monetary gain?

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 12/31/2013 01:42 PM »
Is that separate from free speech, if it could be proven you specifically set out to injure someone with words without any motivation except monetary gain?

No, it is still free speech unless you can prove that you physically hurt them (such as yelling "fire" in a crowded theater and causing a stampede that results in people being trampled).  The freedom to use words to hurt people's feelings is a right.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 931
« Reply #26 on: 12/31/2013 01:44 PM »
"The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten," Beyonce said in a statement reported by ABC News on Monday."My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster," Beyonce said in her statement. "The song 'XO' was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/30/showbiz/beyonce-xo-challenger-audio/index.html

I donít see how this helps anyone certainly not the families of the Challenger crew who are having the whole thing dredged up again.  Not a very credible explanation.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 12/31/2013 01:46 PM »
I donít see how this helps anyone certainly not the families of the Challenger crew who are having the whole thing dredged up again.  Not a very credible explanation.

Yes, if one takes the statement at face value, I'd say it was done with the best of intentions but not by the brightest bulbs on the block.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #28 on: 12/31/2013 02:11 PM »
Get some extra press, issue an apology and remove the intro from the iTunes download and Youtube, even though its already out there. I'd call that a win-win for her....

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #29 on: 12/31/2013 02:18 PM »
Yeah, that's always the risk "No such thing as bad publicity".....but I'm also pleased the mass media have picked up on it. As Star One intimated, there was a chance they wouldn't care about this.

Loving how Keith Cowing went after this too. He's like a Knight against nonsense! ;D
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2013/12/beyonce-samplin.html

Per Beyonce's "apology" - not buying it. If she really wanted to do a tribute, she could have done a specific track (which XO absolutely is not). And a far better use of audio would have been President Reagan's comments....say the "slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God."

PS My tweet below resulted in a rather threatening e-mail from some illiterate Beyonce fan. "You mad bro?" ;D

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: 12/31/2013 02:26 PM »
Get some extra press, issue an apology and remove the intro from the iTunes download and Youtube, even though its already out there. I'd call that a win-win for her....

And that's about what I'd say if I didn't take the statement at face value.  ;-)

To me, this is what a tribute song looks like (9/11, not 51L):

« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 02:48 PM by Lee Jay »

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1294
  • Likes Given: 566
« Reply #31 on: 12/31/2013 03:01 PM »
Stop the conspiracy "Get some extra press" theories. The song was part of an album that was exclusively released on iTunes and within 3 days became the fastest iTunes downloaded album of all time. She did the album and 17 videos to accompany each song, in secret and while still touring among other things. This is a huge creative and technical workload regardless of whether you like her music.

You have to look at this in the complete context of the sheer volume of moving parts to put all that creative product together. Was the inclusion of the Challenger in very poor judgment? Yes. Was it intentional to gain extra press? No, she doesn't need it. She doesn't come across callus and uncaring to the point of wanting to offend fallen heroes and their families.

A re-issue of the song and video with perhaps another audio opening, as the song is in no way dependent on it, would send a nice message. But perhaps a better message would be to do some promotional efforts on behalf of NASA to raise awareness to youth as to the amazing things they accomplish and how important math and science are to achieve those goals. Or at the very least, dedicate some proceeds to a local school and send them to JPL or KSC. Now that would celebrate what those on the challenger dedicated their lives to.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 03:03 PM by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1767
  • Likes Given: 183
Beyonce song uses Challenger disaster audio clip
« Reply #32 on: 12/31/2013 03:09 PM »
Stop the conspiracy "Get some extra press" theories. The song was part of an album that was exclusively released on iTunes and within 3 days became the fastest iTunes downloaded album of all time. She did the album and 17 videos to accompany each song, in secret and while still touring among other things. This is a huge creative and technical workload regardless of whether you like her music.

You have to look at this in the complete context of the sheer volume of moving parts to put all that creative product together. Was the inclusion of the Challenger in very poor judgment? Yes. Was it intentional to gain extra press? No, she doesn't need it. She doesn't come across callus and uncaring to the point of wanting to offend fallen heroes and their families.

A re-issue of the song and video with perhaps another audio opening, as the song is in no way dependent on it, would send a nice message. But perhaps a better message would be to do some promotional efforts on behalf of NASA to raise awareness to youth as to the amazing things they accomplish and how important math and science are to achieve those goals. Or at the very least, dedicate some proceeds to a local school and send them to JPL or KSC. Now that would celebrate what those on the challenger dedicated their lives to.

I don't know why she didn't take audio from the mission she was involved with STS-135, you would have thought that would have been a more appropriate choice.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 03:10 PM by Star One »

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1294
  • Likes Given: 566
« Reply #33 on: 12/31/2013 03:15 PM »

I don't know why she didn't take audio from the mission she was involved with STS-135, you would have thought that would have been a more appropriate choice.
I think it really just comes down to her and her creative team doing too many things, too fast and not really thinking this one through. It happens. In fact, in the HSF business we have seen this happen and the results were much, much worse then an offensive opening to a song. One way or another, I suspect she'll do the right thing. I leave it to her to decide what that is. She has a worldwide platform to perhaps turn this unfortunate lapse in judgement into something positive.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 03:18 PM by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #34 on: 12/31/2013 03:46 PM »
High road option: Tribute also means money, own it and make the proceeds of XO go to the Challenger learning centers... Walk the talk...

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3792
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #35 on: 12/31/2013 03:49 PM »
For Beyonce and her generation of fans (and non-fans), Challenger is likely just a sentence or photo in a history book, the same way that I see Pearl Harbor or Armistice Day, etc..  Not for everyone, of course, but perhaps this will turn out to be an educational moment.

- Ed Kyle 
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 03:50 PM by edkyle99 »

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #36 on: 12/31/2013 04:41 PM »
For Beyonce and her generation of fans (and non-fans), Challenger is likely just a sentence or photo in a history book, the same way that I see Pearl Harbor or Armistice Day, etc.
Good point. I'm remind of the Lincoln assasination joke on the last Oscars. I did snicker at the 'too soon?' comment at the end: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/too-soon-macfarlanes-lincoln-assassination-joke-gets-oscar-groans/ To the masses, Challenger is indeed about as current at Gettysburg.
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #37 on: 12/31/2013 04:51 PM »

The song "XO" (she says) is about losing a loved one. I don't see how any clip from STS-135 would have made sense in that context.

That said, I don't think the song is direct enough or the right tone to justify using the STS-51L audio. Were the song more directly focused, it may not have resulted in such a negative response.

Case in point, country singer Mark Willis released a song in 2002 called "19 Somthin'" that includes the lyric, "Space shuttle fell out of the sky and the whole world cried..." The Challenger Center invited Willis to perform that song at their benefit in Houston in October 2003 because of that mention.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 04:55 PM by collectSPACE »

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #38 on: 12/31/2013 05:21 PM »
In my opinion, using Navias', "the space shuttle pulls into port for the last time" during the STS-135 landing would have made sense in context of the song, and would have been less tactful. But am I in uproar? Not really.
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo.

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2078
  • Likes Given: 1407
Tony De La Rosa

Tags: