Author Topic: Quantum Entanglement is the equivelent of Worm Holes  (Read 17244 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Quantum Entanglement is the equivelent of Worm Holes
« Reply #40 on: 12/20/2013 03:31 AM »

we already know the things are quite ubiquitous.
now we have examples of man caused wormholes of macroscopic lengths.

citation?
the citation is the juxtaposition of the recent articles on entanglement experiments in Italy where entanglement was establish at 16 and 27 kms if i recall correctly with the article suggesting entanglement must be at least the equivalent of and probably is due to the action of wormholes.

also the same teams are trying to arrange an entanglement experiment with either the ISS or cube sats. so that would be orbital distances. the worm holes would nearly have to be as long as the distance between the entangled particles. that does not mean that the mouths of the wormholes are any different from normal wormholes; meaning you can't send stuff through them or poke them with a stick.

When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Offline Stormbringer

« Reply #41 on: 12/20/2013 03:56 AM »
speaking of poking a wormhole with a stick i mentioned it before but i have read several approaches to manipulating the opening of a work hole both in terms of fixing it in place and in terms of enlarging the aperture.

i have read stuff about using electrostatic or magnetic fields to move one around.

i have read about using electrically charged plates or spheres to pull on the "fabric" of the mouth and stretch it. the articles i read did not mention the energy required to do it though and it was decades ago. the articles did not seem to imply casimir forces or exotic energy or matter either. though...

i have read about articles that suggested that too.

lately i have also read someone posting somewhere here that the energy needed would be huge similar to that of an alcubierre warp drive. i don't know if it's true or not but if so that is a huge issue.

i have read on the orion's arm* site  that the size and slope of the mouth has to be very carefully adjusted or it will destroy anything that attempts to go through it due to extreme gravity gradients.

also i have read that if normal matter "touches" the "skin" of a wormhole the wormhole will catastrophically collapse.

*[It's actually a shared hard science fiction world's web site that just happens to not allow anything not supported in peer reviewed science papers for which the links are almost always provided. which is a treasure trove of exotic ideas and links to fascinating science papers]
« Last Edit: 12/23/2013 12:22 AM by Stormbringer »

Offline Stormbringer

« Reply #42 on: 12/21/2013 12:45 AM »
my apolgies for replying to this in the wrong spot. i quoted the wrong post. i have heard about this series elswhere. a "meme" site i think. but i have not read it yet. sounds interesting though.

So, I'm guessing you've never read Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth series.

http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star-Peter-F-Hamilton/dp/0345479211

I think the first book is fantastic, and it goes downhill after the 3rd. Your mileage may vary.

Offline 93143

• Liked: 292
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: 12/22/2013 09:19 PM »
And inside the solar system it would be even more useful. for example you could have apertures in orbit or on planetary surfaces. you could put any amount of stuff in orbit. you could move any amount of cargo and supplies and people to the moon or mars or wherever.

or you could use it to dump stuff into the sun like toxic waste or spent nuclear fuel.

Keep in mind that wormholes respect conservation of energy.  For instance, a wormhole connecting the surfaces of Mars and Venus would drain Mars' atmosphere through it.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2013 09:20 PM by 93143 »

Offline Stormbringer

« Reply #44 on: 12/22/2013 10:53 PM »
And inside the solar system it would be even more useful. for example you could have apertures in orbit or on planetary surfaces. you could put any amount of stuff in orbit. you could move any amount of cargo and supplies and people to the moon or mars or wherever.

or you could use it to dump stuff into the sun like toxic waste or spent nuclear fuel.

Keep in mind that wormholes respect conservation of energy.  For instance, a wormhole connecting the surfaces of Mars and Venus would drain Mars' atmosphere through it.

yup but you could use airlocks and isolate the apertures in a big enclosure. or you could take advantage of it in some cases to make it into a big water pump or something. or using sun plasma to drive a heat engine.or you could gas mine and diamond mine deep in jupiter's atmosphere. refuel spaceships, get rid of incoming missiles or space debris, cleanse Earth's orbital space of FOD junk dangers...

if you really wanted to go crazy with it you could have amazon.com, domino's, fedex and others doing wormhole deliveries to any place in the network within 30 minutes or less.

edit:  actually i think WRT the transfer of atmosphere between Mars and Venus since Venus has much higher density and pressure than Mars the natural flow would be from Venus to Mars. That would be bad. OTOH if a source of O2 Nitrogen were found maybe you could use it for terraforming. Or you could suck up the hydrocarbon oceans on the moons of the Gas giants and deliver it to refineries.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2013 12:25 AM by Stormbringer »

Offline 93143

• Liked: 292
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: 12/23/2013 03:28 AM »
actually i think WRT the transfer of atmosphere between Mars and Venus since Venus has much higher density and pressure than Mars the natural flow would be from Venus to Mars.

Venus' atmosphere at the surface has about 15,000 times the pressure of Mars' atmosphere, a difference of around 9 MPa depending on elevation.  It turns out, however, that the difference in pressure is insignificant compared with the difference in gravitational potential, which the wormhole does not get to ignore.

The energy associated with the velocity difference is not insignificant in this context, and I haven't done the math for opposing motion - but for parallel motion on the same side of the sun, it isn't sufficient to change the conclusion, because the velocity difference is only about 11 km/s.

My point is, you can't treat a wormhole as if it were a magic portal.  If there are energy differences between the entry and exit, those have to be made up for any object traversing the wormhole.  To oversimplify, wormholes don't change the delta-V requirements for space travel - only the transit times.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2013 07:15 PM by 93143 »

Tags: