Author Topic: Best Space (Flight) music  (Read 50475 times)

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Space (Flight) music
« Reply #20 on: 07/20/2006 01:35 PM »
The music in the documentary "The Space Shuttle" that was on the Discovery Channel years ago sounds cool to me. My favorite out of it would be the music played during the scenes of Endeavour being lifted in the VAB to be mated to the stack and the same music plays when the stack is rolled out to the pad. It fits the majesty of such a place.

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: 07/23/2006 10:05 AM »
It may be a bit cheesy, but I think "I Need A Hero" by Bonnie Tyler would work well for a Shuttle music video.

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: 07/25/2006 01:45 PM »
Isn't that the theme from Spiderman?

Offline discovery_fan

• Veteran
  • Austria EU
« Reply #23 on: 07/25/2006 02:43 PM »
Hello all,

I really like Vangelis "Heaven and Hell Part I - Movement 3" for all things that have to do with space, since that was used in the TV show "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.
Also cool from the same series is "alpha" by vangelis, it was used as a closing theme in "Cosmos" if I remember it correctly.

Online Fabio Zarantonello

• Italy
« Reply #24 on: 07/25/2006 09:22 PM »
I really love soundtracks of NASA HD-TV Space Shuttle videos, named "nrl" and "dreamtime".

Offline stargazer777

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 07/26/2006 04:58 AM »
Boys, boys, boys.  I am disappointed in you.  How could anyone top the sound track from 2001?  The opening theme (Also Sprach Zarathustra) and the music that plays with the rendezvous with the orbiting space station (The Bue Danube) are perfection!.  You can't top that.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 07/26/2006 10:35 AM »
Naraht - 23/7/2006  10:52 AM

It may be a bit cheesy, but I think "I Need A Hero" by Bonnie Tyler would work well for a Shuttle music video.

Bonnie Tyler or Faith No More. Now I've got a dilema ;)

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 07/26/2006 11:13 AM »
Chris Bergin - 26/7/2006  11:22 AM

Naraht - 23/7/2006  10:52 AM

Bonnie Tyler or Faith No More. Now I've got a dilema ;)
Make them both!

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #28 on: 07/26/2006 08:13 PM »
I know, a duet ! ! ! lol

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #29 on: 08/05/2006 08:37 AM »
"countdown" by rush is AWESOME! one of my all-time faves!
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 08/13/2006 02:34 PM »
We've got another video coming soon. Certainly one of those "play loud" videos :)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #31 on: 08/13/2006 02:56 PM »
very loud :)

Offline K-P

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: 07/27/2010 08:32 PM »

"Reach out for the Moon"
This captures the moon mania of the late 60s.

Well... Rush also made nice video of STS-1...  ;)

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: 07/29/2010 07:19 PM »
When I saw this thread pop up, I felt that, being one of the older ones lurking around here, I might post an entry not so much for the "Best" space flight music, but for one of the FIRST recordings of space flight music.  It was "Telstar".  It was released in 1962, the summer between by fourth and fifth grade elementary school.  I went out to the Wikipedia page below and was shocked to learn that it wasn't a US release, but was done in the UK and released in the US!  I do recall listening to it on one of those new-fangled transistor radios and that it went quite high in the charts. 

Quote: "a 1962 instrumental record performed by The Tornados. It was the first single by a British band to reach number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and was also a number one hit in the UK. The record was named after the AT&T communications satellite Telstar, which went into orbit in July 1962. The song was released five weeks later on 17 August 1962. It was written and produced by Joe Meek, and featured a clavioline, a keyboard instrument with a distinctive electronic sound. "Telstar" won an Ivor Novello Award and is estimated to have sold at least five million copies worldwide.

This novelty record was intended to evoke the dawn of the space age, complete with sound effects that were meant to sound "space-like". A popular story at the time of the record's release was that the weird distortions and background noise came from sending the signal up to the Telstar satellite and re-recording it back on Earth. It is more likely that the effects were created in Meek's recording studio, which was a small flat above a shop in London."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar_(song)

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Caveman
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 5601
« Reply #34 on: 07/30/2010 02:14 PM »

"Reach out for the Moon"
This captures the moon mania of the late 60s.

Well... Rush also made nice video of STS-1...  ;)

swing on a star - bing crosby 1944 Going My Way

might make a good STEMs video ;) the inspiration came from the composer being at Bing's house for dinner, and one of the children didn't want to go to school the next day, and Bing replied, do you want to grow up to be a mule; and so a song was inspired ;)

but I think my all time fav (aside from telstar) was Star Trek - First Contact, where they take off in Warp drive the first time, and Cochrane has to play his MOOD music ;) Born to be wild ;0
Gramps
"Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou
 Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #35 on: 07/30/2010 02:59 PM »
Glad to see this thread get bumped after so many years. I love the mix of classical and rock in MUSE.  Those of you in the UK probably know of them, but in the US, perhaps not. Their latest CD includes "Exogenesis", a little 3-part morality play about a civilazation realizing its not long for their (our?) world. In part 2, they realize their last hope is to launch astronauts to "Spread our codes to the stars...".  In part 3, the astronauts realize they have to change and be "good" when they get to a new world, or the whole thing will happen again.  Here's part 2, with the sendoff of the astronauts.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #36 on: 07/30/2010 03:38 PM »
Muse are amazing.

In front of 100,000 at the new Wembley:

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 07/30/2010 03:44 PM »
I'd like this one for the SRBs ;D

Rammstein "Feuer Frei!"

Offline M_Puckett

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #38 on: 07/30/2010 03:55 PM »
"countdown" by rush is AWESOME! one of my all-time faves!

This is a soung about the first launch of Columbia and it contains actual sound clips from the launch.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #39 on: 07/30/2010 06:52 PM »
When I saw this thread pop up, I felt that, being one of the older ones lurking around here, I might post an entry not so much for the "Best" space flight music, but for one of the FIRST recordings of space flight music.  It was "Telstar".  It was released in 1962, the summer between by fourth and fifth grade elementary school.  I went out to the Wikipedia page below and was shocked to learn that it wasn't a US release, but was done in the UK and released in the US!  I do recall listening to it on one of those new-fangled transistor radios and that it went quite high in the charts. 

Quote: "a 1962 instrumental record performed by The Tornados. It was the first single by a British band to reach number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and was also a number one hit in the UK. The record was named after the AT&T communications satellite Telstar, which went into orbit in July 1962. The song was released five weeks later on 17 August 1962. It was written and produced by Joe Meek, and featured a clavioline, a keyboard instrument with a distinctive electronic sound. "Telstar" won an Ivor Novello Award and is estimated to have sold at least five million copies worldwide.

This novelty record was intended to evoke the dawn of the space age, complete with sound effects that were meant to sound "space-like". A popular story at the time of the record's release was that the weird distortions and background noise came from sending the signal up to the Telstar satellite and re-recording it back on Earth. It is more likely that the effects were created in Meek's recording studio, which was a small flat above a shop in London."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar_(song)

I love "Telstar", both the Joe Meeks' version and that done by the surf instrumental group The Ventures. It's my understanding that some of sound effects came from discharging a fire extinguisher into a toilet bowl.
TheVentures did a song called "Journey to the Stars"which is simply fantastic. I'd also add The Ventures' "Moon Child" for a moody but 1960s sounding piece.

Lastly for dramatic, triumphant sounding music I'll add "The Thunderbirds March" as a tip of the hat to my friends across the pond.

Tags: