Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - Orbcomm OG2- July 14, 2014 - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 558619 times)

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 99
Now NET July 14.

I believe no discussion (or any other) thread yet exists for Falcon 9v1.1 launch of Orbcomm OG2. And as most of us here love to speculate even far into the future.... A perfect time to start speculating about the the OrbComm flight.. ;)

If all goes well, SpaceX is getting into a nice series of launches at SLC-40 Cape Canaveral:
F9-007  - Nov 12 - SES-8
F9-008  - Dec 12 - Thaicom 6
F9-009  - Feb 16 (was Jan 14) - CRS-3
F9-010? - TBD     - OrbComm OG2

Does this suggest a monthly launch cycle at SLC-40? (Delay of CSR-3 due to Dragon, not to pad processing as far as I know)
If so, does this imply a mid March launch of OrbComm OG2? ;)

How does the construction of GH2 (1 core, 3 engine) impact the launch sequence?
We do know that F9R-1 already was partly assambled, with good progress on F9S1-010 as well: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/09/spacex-falcon-and-dragon-nurseries/

Edit: me bad, missed the updated NET of CSR-3. Now corrected.

Other threads for Orbcomm OG2 Flight 1:
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - ORBCOMM OG2 - Pre-LAUNCH UPDATES
SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - ORBCOMM OG2 - LAUNCH ATTEMPT 1 UPDATES
SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - ORBCOMM OG2 - LAUNCH ATTEMPT 2 UPDATES
SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - ORBCOMM OG2 - LAUNCH ATTEMPT 3 UPDATES
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - ORBCOMM OG2 - LAUNCH ATTEMPT 4 UPDATES
The Falcon 9 v1.1/ORBCOMM ooOGachaka2 Party Thread
SpaceX Sign 18 spacecraft deal with ORBCOMM
SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - ORBCOMM-2 - RTF (Return To Flight) DISCUSSION THREAD
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 10:37 PM by gongora »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 238
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 99

I thought CRS-3 was net Febuary 16th ...

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=8184.msg1100936#msg1100936

Thanks, my mistake. I corrected my post. Still noticing a possible 30 day turn around between launches...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 238
I suspect 30 day's is the goal SpaceX has been shooting for...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 765
On that logic, perhaps Orbcomm could go on 14 January instead? :-) but I think padrat might have something to say about missing Christmas.
When I say "Jump!", you say "To which orbital inclination?"

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 13
Don't forget they have to fit in the Dragon pad abort test.  IIRC that is also in the first few months of 2014.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1580
  • Likes Given: 339
Don't forget they have to fit in the Dragon pad abort test.  IIRC that is also in the first few months of 2014.

Delayed to Q2, AFAIK.

Offline dsobin

• New Jersey, USA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 645
Do we know the target orbital parameters of this launch? Inclination, apogee, perigee?

Do we know the mass of the spacecraft?

Is SpaceX delivering the satellite to its operational orbit, or does Orbcomm carry fuel to get itself to its final orbit?

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 79
Do we know the target orbital parameters of this launch? Inclination, apogee, perigee?

Do we know the mass of the spacecraft?

Is SpaceX delivering the satellite to its operational orbit, or does Orbcomm carry fuel to get itself to its final orbit?
It's a constellation, so there are several planes, and about 8-10 sats per launch. Individual sat weighs ~160 kg.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
Perhaps the upper stage restarts to release different batches in different orbits?

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 79
If all goes well, SpaceX is getting into a nice series of launches at SLC-40 Cape Canaveral:
F9-007  - Nov 12 - SES-8
F9-008  - Dec 12 - Thaicom 6
F9-009  - Feb 16 (was Jan 14) - CRS-3
F9-010? - TBD     - OrbComm OG2

If all goes well and IIRC: the contract with Aisasat (Aisasat 6/Taicom 7) has a firm deadline -- March 31, 2014.
Which makes F9-010 most likely launching Aisasat, not Orbcomm.
Unless of course they managed to talk Aisasat into some waiting :)

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 200
As per the current SpaceX launch manifest, Orbcomm has moved ahead of CRS-3. This raises a lot of questions.

Is that really the case or is it just that the satellite will arrive ahead of CRS-3?
Will the Orbcomm flight have legs?
Is this ambitious <30 launch schedule going to hold up considering they have yet to launch less than 3 months apart?

http://www.spacex.com/missions
« Last Edit: 12/07/2013 02:27 PM by intrepidpursuit »

Offline Xspace_engineerX

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 19
One question regarding this launch: Price. According to an article I found (link copied below), the price that spacex is being paid for launching all 18 satellites is 42.6 million.  Doesn't that seem a bit low for two launches?

link : http://www.parabolicarc.com/2012/12/27/orbcomm-spacex-reach-new-agreement-on-og2-satellite-launches/

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
As per the current SpaceX launch manifest, Orbcomm has moved ahead of CRS-3. This raises a lot of questions.

Is that really the case or is it just that the satellite will arrive ahead of CRS-3?
Will the Orbcomm flight have legs?
Is this ambitious <30 launch schedule going to hold up considering they have yet to launch less than 3 months apart?

http://www.spacex.com/missions

Maybe Orbcomm can be launched in the Jan 2014 timeframe?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2256
  • Likes Given: 464
One question regarding this launch: Price. According to an article I found (link copied below), the price that spacex is being paid for launching all 18 satellites is 42.6 million.  Doesn't that seem a bit low for two launches?

link : http://www.parabolicarc.com/2012/12/27/orbcomm-spacex-reach-new-agreement-on-og2-satellite-launches/

SpaceX is giving them a break because the original deal was to launch Orbcomm on the Falcon 1e, which would have been less expensive than launching on F9.

Offline Xspace_engineerX

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 19

SpaceX is giving them a break because the original deal was to launch Orbcomm on the Falcon 1e, which would have been less expensive than launching on F9.

80 million dollars cheaper?

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 4478
How light are they? What if they accept it because they can use legs and try to return the first stage without having to get NASA's approval? What if they are the guinea pigs (not that much extra mission risk, actually) to get NASA to accept a stage return on CRS-3?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
How light are they? What if they accept it because they can use legs and try to return the first stage without having to get NASA's approval? What if they are the guinea pigs (not that much extra mission risk, actually) to get NASA to accept a stage return on CRS-3?

That contract was signed almost a year ago, so I doubt legs had anything to do with it.

Individual satellites are reportedly around 160 kg, so a stack of, say, 10, is 1600 kg plus adapters...leaving huge amount of F9 excess capacity with plenty of propellant reserves for boostback. Tons of margin, and no reason to leave tens of millions on the table, IMO.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2013 12:40 AM by Kabloona »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4140
  • Likes Given: 843

That contract was signed almost a year ago, so I doubt legs had anything to do with it.

I don't follow the logic.  Do you think SpaceX wasn't planning this a year ago?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude

I don't follow the logic.  Do you think SpaceX wasn't planning this a year ago?

Giving up $80 million in revenue just so they can put legs on it?? There will be plenty of flight opportunities with legs (e.g. CRS-3) where that kind of penalty won't be necessary.

And if they've been planning to put legs on Orbcomm for a year, why after CASSIOPE did Elon specifically say their first attempt at legs might be CRS-3?

Who knows, with schedule slippage, maybe legs do appear on Orbcomm, before CRS-3. But according to what Elon said/didn't say after CASSIOPE, that wasn't the plan just a few months ago, and even if it was, I can't see it being worth $80 million to Elon in lost revenue.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2013 01:09 AM by Kabloona »

Tags: