Author Topic: L2 Student Discount/Student Scholarship Program  (Read 29354 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Per questions about L2 discounts for students studying in the fields we cover as a site, I'm setting up this thread to trial how we can facilitate this.

This is not foolproof, so we'll see how it goes and hopefully no one will abuse it.

1) Discount for students at College/University level, studying in the fields we over (Aerospace etc.) - 50 percent discount on all L2 subscription levels.

To initiate this, please create a login on the forum: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=register - use your school e-mail address (.edu) for registration. Please note, all e-mail addresses used to register on this site are protected and never abused. If you do not have a .edu address, for please PM me (message me by private message).

Once you have registered, PM me for confirmation you are eligible.

Once eligible, you will be provided with the instructions on how to pay for your discounted term via the L2 sign up page, which is very simple: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/

If you are student - per the above - and already a L2 member, I don't want you to feel like you've missed out. Please PM me for eligibility, after which you will have you L2 term extended as compensation, allowing you to benefit from this discount.

--------------

Student Scholarship Program:

Now I understand that being a student may mean that even a 50 percent discount may not be enough. I know what that's like from my days as a student many moons ago (now I feel old ;D). So, if you adhere to the above requirement, you have the option of putting your name down for what I'm calling a Student Scholarship. This was also the idea of another member, who offered to pay for the student who was inquiring about discounts.

Same process with registration/claim for eligibility, this time placing your name (username) into a list on a first-come, first-served basis.

Current members have the option of paying for your L2 scholarship, at the discounted rates. So for instance, we have a list of 10 people who qualify, Current members have the option of paying for your term - at the 50 percent discounted rate, be it one member, or more.

This thread will be updated with a list for those applying (just the username and school), and/or the completed/available scholarships.

We'll see how this goes on a trial basis, with the aim of helping students in the field with our full resources.

Any feedback, questions - please post in this thread.
« Last Edit: 10/14/2013 03:22 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

Re: L2 Student Discount/Student Scholarship Program
« Reply #1 on: 10/14/2013 05:48 pm »
Love the idea! :)

I've just finished my studies, but I thoroughly recommend that students get L2, it is great for the inspirational content, access to industry insiders and the educational discussion they create, and obviously the up-to-the-minute info and news.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline blazotron

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: 03/30/2014 12:38 am »
Hi Chris--looks like his thread has gone stale. Are you still maintaining a  list of students requesting scholarships? 

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #3 on: 03/30/2014 04:08 pm »
I've been thinking about this as well.  I've got a lifetime membership, but I'd still like to keep supporting the site over the years.

I've had a couple thoughts ...

(1) an annual "pledge drive" in L2 to raise scholarship money and/or help support NSF in general.  Pick some signifcant date- July 20, Oct 4, etc - and run a one or two week campaign leading up to that date, with the campaign comprising a single topic under L2 (ad maybe a front-page article to announce it).

(2) Similar idea, but run a Kickstarter or similar campaign for the fundraising.  Announce as above.

Funds raised can be used for scholarships or just general NSF support, if the demand for scholarships doesn't exhaust the funds.  (i.e., Chris can use the money for NSF as he deems best, it's not a hard mandate that the money can only be used for scholarships ...)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 03/30/2014 05:00 pm »
Hi Chris--looks like his thread has gone stale. Are you still maintaining a  list of students requesting scholarships? 

The thread went stale, but it's been used. We have 15 engineering students on discounted L2 terms since this started and four on scholarships. What I really like about that is the majority went for the discount, instead of trying to get in on the scholarship. Clearly honest people! :)

We have one scholarship in the bank ready to go. If we could build up say 10 then I'd link this thread in some of the news articles, offering the scholarships.

And that goes into answering the following.

I've been thinking about this as well.  I've got a lifetime membership, but I'd still like to keep supporting the site over the years.

I've had a couple thoughts ...

(1) an annual "pledge drive" in L2 to raise scholarship money and/or help support NSF in general.  Pick some signifcant date- July 20, Oct 4, etc - and run a one or two week campaign leading up to that date, with the campaign comprising a single topic under L2 (ad maybe a front-page article to announce it).

(2) Similar idea, but run a Kickstarter or similar campaign for the fundraising.  Announce as above.

Funds raised can be used for scholarships or just general NSF support, if the demand for scholarships doesn't exhaust the funds.  (i.e., Chris can use the money for NSF as he deems best, it's not a hard mandate that the money can only be used for scholarships ...)

That says a lot about you and I've got similar examples from lifetime members. Totally motivational, I have to say.

As per the beginnings of L2 - set up when we realized the hosting costs were getting to the point I could no longer self fund the increasing readership - I really want the site to give something back to those who support it. L2 does that and a heck of a lot more than we envisioned, now it's organic via the amount of space industry people in there providing content even before I know about it half the time!

Building a fund where we can bring in people (and deserving people who will make good use of it - such as engineering students) is certainly a good way in which members can continue to support the site and give something back. Heck, imagine if one of our engineering students goes on to be a Wayne Hale, etc! :)

So if you want to help with that drive. PM me. And we'll think about some sort of structure - past individuals getting in touch - for this in the meantime.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2014 12:08 am »
We now have five one year L2 scholarships in the bag. Aim is to at least get into double figures before I tweet about it/add a link in some news articles.

Offline Moonwatcher

• Haslett, MI
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 3130
« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2014 02:17 am »
We now have five one year L2 scholarships in the bag. Aim is to at least get into double figures before I tweet about it/add a link in some news articles.

I just added a few more to that count. I'd like to challenge every L2 Lifetime Member to support at least one scholarship.

- Bob
« Last Edit: 04/04/2014 08:39 pm by Moonwatcher »

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #7 on: 04/04/2014 06:26 pm »
Here's a deal to help put Chris over the top.  I'll match any contributions, dollar for dollar, up to $90 (the cost of two scholarships).   Contribute what's comfortable; I'll match it.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2014 08:23 pm »
We're up to 13 scholarships, so this is getting properly launched on Monday via what I think will be a SLS article at this point, and on twitter.

This is really exciting that it's kicked into life and I've just been contacted by one student (inquiring from just seeing this thread). There will be a new thread to list (first name only, but with uni/course).

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3606
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #9 on: 04/04/2014 08:36 pm »
We're up to 13 scholarships, so this is getting properly launched on Monday via what I think will be a SLS article at this point, and on twitter.

This is really exciting that it's kicked into life and I've just been contacted by one student (inquiring from just seeing this thread). There will be a new thread to list (first name only, but with uni/course).

Should go in the "you know you're a space geek when..." thread.  ;)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 04/04/2014 08:40 pm »
It should! ;D

That's 15 now!

Offline GaryS

• Argentina and USA
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #11 on: 04/05/2014 11:56 am »
I'm one of the benefactors of this scheme and I really appreciate it! Absolutely love L2 and this site. It's absolutely helping me with my studies, 100 percent. Thank you so much!

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #12 on: 04/06/2014 02:11 am »
Great idea. Put in for one scholarship. Gained so much from L2, and to be able to both help the site a bit more and sponsor a student gain into this, easy decision.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 04/06/2014 02:21 am »
Awesome stuff Tony. We're now at 18!

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #14 on: 04/07/2014 10:56 am »
Love L2. Put me down for getting one in on a scholarship!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #15 on: 04/07/2014 11:09 am »
Love L2. Put me down for getting one in on a scholarship!

That takes us to 20!

This should launch this evening. I say should, it will - just want to have an article go on first, then create the application thread, then link it in that new article and tweet the whole show out.

We have this ready to be introduced to two Florida schools (Stetson and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University) when we launch, but it'll be spread out via the article, thread and NSF twitter.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #16 on: 04/07/2014 06:17 pm »
So we're all live with this now:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34427.0

I'll give it some time to bed in. Link it in the latest article and then tweet it out.

I'll also send out a joint PM tonight to all the scholarship funders so far as I have an idea about showing allocation of student to funder, but we'll see if and how we should do that visibly.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 261
« Reply #17 on: 04/08/2014 02:27 am »
Nice program Chris!

Offline rklaehn

• interplanetary telemetry plumber
  • germany
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #18 on: 04/08/2014 03:01 pm »
This is a great idea. I have a lifetime L2 membership and was looking for a way to support L2 financially.

Sign me up for supporting one Scholarship for one Year.

If I may make one suggestion: if somebody is not a Student but is learning a Craft that is relevant for space technology, he should also be eligible.

Offline RocketStudent

• Texas
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #19 on: 04/10/2014 04:33 pm »
Absolutely LOVE L2. Thank you to all the sponsors, my sponsor Martin, Chris and NSF.

This is seriously going to give me an edge in my studies, so I'm really thankful I got in before the scholarships run out, which it looks like they are about to.

Thanks!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography