Author Topic: What university should I go to in order to become a space engineer?  (Read 10812 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3586
  • Likes Given: 843
Thanks, because I'm going there next month. I got the full tuition scholarship.

Congrats!
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline Specifically-Impulsive

• Formerly of the Nexus of Evil
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 7
I can't stress highly enough how much of a plus it can be if you can co-op/intern at an engineering company.  When I was a hiring manager I far preferred to hire freshouts who had co-op'd for at least a couple of semesters, preferably at the same company.  This was an effective screen for young engineers who could actually hold down a job.

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 99
Am I likely to have dormmates who are space fanatics?

I can't stress highly enough how much of a plus it can be if you can co-op/intern at an engineering company.  When I was a hiring manager I far preferred to hire freshouts who had co-op'd for at least a couple of semesters, preferably at the same company.  This was an effective screen for young engineers who could actually hold down a job.
When should I start looking for co-op/internship opportunities?

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
You can't start too early.  See if you can get a job at an airport or even a mechanical or car shop even during or after high school.  Hands-on plus good grades or even average grades goes a long way in the real world.  If you're lucky enough to have a big aerospace firm or any other high-tech engineering firm in your town, try that too.  Even being an Excel monkey or code monkey gets exposure.  But, there's also something to be said for having a grunt job in a non-technical area, so that way when you're a big engineer later you realize how lucky/blessed you are.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Pipcard

I am about to graduate from UAH this Sunday.

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
Then let me be the first on here to say CONGRATULATIONS!
F=ma

Offline Pipcard

My new dilemma is finding a job.

I never realized that I should've taken summer internships to build experience while being a student. Now it seems like it's too late for that. What should I do now? I did work on a senior design project for lunar sample return and assembled a high power rocket with the help of the Space Hardware Club. And my GPA is 3.8-3.9.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2018 09:36 AM by Pipcard »

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
Wait - what?  Many replies above (from 5 years ago) told you to get work experience (intern, co-op, etc.) while you were in school.  At this point, if I were you, Id start by talking to my favorite profs to see if anyone needs some (preferably paid) help this summer while you look for a FT job.  Maybe not as good as an internship, but better than nothing.
F=ma
« Last Edit: 05/05/2018 04:26 PM by Fequalsma »

Offline Pipcard

Wait - what?  Many replies above (from 5 years ago) told you to get work experience (intern, co-op, etc.) while you were in school.  At this point, if I were you, Id start by talking to my favorite profs to see if anyone needs some (preferably paid) help this summer while you look for a FT job.  Maybe not as good as an internship, but better than nothing.
F=ma
I kind of forgot to look at this thread during my time at this school.

Edit: actually my problem was that after the first and second years, I never put it into consideration because most of the emphasis was on General Ed courses. And after the third year, a few engineering classes left me feeling burnt out by the curriculum. Only during the fourth year did I actually take courses that were directly related to my interests (Rocket Propulsion and Elements of Spacecraft Design), which I did enjoy.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2018 05:01 PM by Pipcard »

Offline Starlab90

• Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 41
There are multiple job announcements from MSFC posted on USAJOBS right now. They expire May 16th. Google USAJOBS, go to the site, and search for "aerospace engineer". Then register, enter your resume, and apply! Good luck!

Also, PM me if you have more detailed questions.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 112
Echoing F=ma big congratulations to you! Four years from scholarship award to completion demonstrates your ability to learn and complete assigned tasks.

Design of lunar sample return as a senior project combined with high power rocket assembly in the Space Hardware Club are exactly the experience you should be focused on. Deliverables from your design, reports, presentations etc combined with real world problem solving while building flight hardware provide evidence to potential employers.

How far are you willing to re-locate in order to land a job fitting your passion, education and experience?
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline Pipcard

Echoing F=ma big congratulations to you! Four years from scholarship award to completion demonstrates your ability to learn and complete assigned tasks.

Design of lunar sample return as a senior project combined with high power rocket assembly in the Space Hardware Club are exactly the experience you should be focused on. Deliverables from your design, reports, presentations etc combined with real world problem solving while building flight hardware provide evidence to potential employers.

How far are you willing to re-locate in order to land a job fitting your passion, education and experience?
I'm considering jobs in the California Bay Area and in Huntsville.

Tags: