Author Topic: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program  (Read 279252 times)

Offline envy887

• Liked: 2624
  • Likes Given: 1410
Re: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program
« Reply #820 on: 07/24/2018 05:39 PM »
After deploying the upper stage, the booster is an unpowered glider. For lower speed deployments, it will flyback to a landing field at the launch site; for higher speed deployments that take it beyond range of a return to the launch site, it can land on runways downrange.
So I guess it's mostly going to be gliding to downrange sites. I'm not sure what kind of launch would allow it to glide back to the launch site.

I'm not sure what launch sites and azimuths would allow it to land downrange. This needs a runway, not a barge. There aren't many runways downrange from existing launch sites.

Offline Prettz

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #821 on: 07/24/2018 07:28 PM »
I'm probably just misunderstanding this thing's operations. I was imagining it launching on space shuttle like trajectories so it could glide back to land somewhere up the coast.

Is the idea that it's going to be launching on more lofted trajectories so it's never very far downrange at separation?

Offline envy887

« Reply #822 on: 07/25/2018 01:44 AM »
I'm probably just misunderstanding this thing's operations. I was imagining it launching on space shuttle like trajectories so it could glide back to land somewhere up the coast.

Is the idea that it's going to be launching on more lofted trajectories so it's never very far downrange at separation?

I'm not sure, but I imagine a depressed trajectory is also an option as long as the upper stage has a good amount of thrust. Keeping the booster apogee low will reduce the time before reentry, which limits the downrange distance and makes it easier to glide back.

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #823 on: 07/25/2018 01:48 AM »
Why not do a boost back maneuver?

Online ZachS09

« Reply #824 on: 07/25/2018 01:51 AM »

Probably because the AR-22 is not restartable.
Because the Falcon Heavy Test Flight was successful, it has inspired thousands of people to consider changing the future of space travel.

Offline ncb1397

« Reply #825 on: 07/25/2018 01:54 AM »

Why do you have to cut the engine off?

Shuttle RTLS:

Return to launch site (RTLS) was the first abort mode available and could be selected just after SRB jettison. The Shuttle would continue downrange to burn excess propellant, as well as pitch up to maintain vertical speed in aborts with an SSME failure. After burning sufficient propellant, the vehicle would be pitched all the way around and begin thrusting back towards the launch site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_abort_modes
« Last Edit: 07/25/2018 01:58 AM by ncb1397 »

Online ZachS09

« Reply #826 on: 07/25/2018 01:58 AM »

Well, the engine can be reused for future flights, but once its single burn is completed, it's not ignited during the glideback to landing.
Because the Falcon Heavy Test Flight was successful, it has inspired thousands of people to consider changing the future of space travel.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3599
  • Likes Given: 846
« Reply #827 on: 07/25/2018 02:00 AM »

Shuttle RTLS:
<snip>

Right, so you're gunna do staging with the SSME running?

I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline ncb1397

« Reply #828 on: 07/25/2018 02:03 AM »

Shuttle RTLS:
<snip>

Shuttle boosters staged with the SSMEs running. This is side mount, not top mount.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3599
  • Likes Given: 846
« Reply #829 on: 07/25/2018 02:06 AM »
Shuttle boosters staged with the SSMEs running. This is side mount, not top mount.

Fair 'nuff.
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline RDoc

• Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #830 on: 07/25/2018 08:15 PM »
Based on the picture, aren't they going to have falling ice and/or insulation issues with the second stage?

Those wings and winglets also look pretty big for anything like Mach 10 to me, but I'm no expert.

Offline envy887

« Reply #831 on: 07/25/2018 08:30 PM »

Shuttle RTLS:
<snip>

The SRBs were not running, they were essentially burnt out which reduces the risk of recontacting. And more importantly, nobody cared if the SSMEs smoked them on the way past.

Boeing's promo video shows MECO followed by staging in freefall:

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 587
  • Likes Given: 855
« Reply #832 on: 11/15/2018 01:54 PM »
Fabrication of composite cryotanks in progress. Really feels like this project is moving at a snails pace, doesn't it? Well at least it ain't dead yet.
https://www.boeing.com/features/2018/11/phantom-express-tank-fabrication-11-18.page

Also looks like the general page for Phantom Express has been updated with more details and info (at least  have not seen it yet):
https://www.boeing.com/space/phantom-express/index.page#/capabilities
« Last Edit: 11/15/2018 01:56 PM by Elmar Moelzer »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2871
  • Likes Given: 7550
« Reply #833 on: 11/15/2018 02:44 PM »
Fabrication of composite cryotanks in progress. Really feels like this project is moving at a snails pace, doesn't it? Well at least it ain't dead yet.
https://www.boeing.com/features/2018/11/phantom-express-tank-fabrication-11-18.page

Also looks like the general page for Phantom Express has been updated with more details and info (at least  have not seen it yet):
Maybe they want to put any cryopumping issues to rest first...
https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/nasaboeing-composite-launch-vehicle-fuel-tank-scores-firsts
« Last Edit: 11/15/2018 02:47 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1861
  • Likes Given: 183
DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program
« Reply #834 on: 11/15/2018 03:18 PM »

Saying this project is moving at a snails pace is something of an unreasonable statement. It has actually moved comparable fast by government project standards.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2018 03:28 PM by Star One »

Tags: