Author Topic: SpaceX Reusable Falcon 9 (Grasshopper ONLY) DISCUSSION Thread (4)  (Read 293318 times)

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 154
One thing that has worried me is the issue of acoustics and the impact on the pad / vehicle. I wonder if we will see water been used going forward to help dampen the acoustic levels .

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 1482
It wasn't needed for GH1, why would GH2/F9R need it?

Offline rst

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 0
It wasn't needed for GH1, why would GH2/F9R need it?

It'll be lifting off on three engines, rather than one.  Don't know if that's enough extra stress to warrant the protection, but it's certainly more.

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 651
The whole idea of soft landing paid launch stages in the water for R&D saves a huge amount of money. I bet the Chinese will be trying to do that from their Hainan launch site in the future, or even landing in the desert from the inland sites.

I think it is not worth the effort and hazard to attempt Oceanic recovery of hypergolic stages.

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 125
The whole idea of soft landing paid launch stages in the water for R&D saves a huge amount of money. I bet the Chinese will be trying to do that from their Hainan launch site in the future, or even landing in the desert from the inland sites.

I think it is not worth the effort and hazard to attempt Oceanic recovery of hypergolic stages.

I am sure you are correct about that, but what I am implying is that the Chinese will be developing a reusable rocket, because they won't want to be outdone by SpaceX. They won't like the idea of being permanently more expensive and less efficient.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8889
  • Likes Given: 5746
One thing that has worried me is the issue of acoustics and the impact on the pad / vehicle. I wonder if we will see water been used going forward to help dampen the acoustic levels .
Dampening acoustics needs to be done to protect the payload, and probably to a lesser degree (in this case with just three engines) the launch vehicle and pad.

BTW, what is the specific evidence that GH2/F9R has arrived at McGregor?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Chris Bergin

That's thread 4 neatly tied up.

On to Thread 5 here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33597.0

This thread into the 100,000+ archive.

Tags: