Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : RCM (RADARSAT Constellation) : Vandenberg : NET March 2019  (Read 27948 times)

Online russianhalo117

  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4930
  • AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1335
  • Likes Given: 598
So I spoke with Michel Doyon, Manager, Flight Operations at the Canadian Space Agency today and the RCM flight is going to be delayed again. How long I don't know. He said RCM was supposed to use the NASA CRS-16 mission booster (B1050) which had the grid fin issue and "softly" landed in the water.

Discussions between MDA, who contracted for the launch, and SpaceX are ongoing. Has anyone heard anything on a possible new launch date? Also which booster might it use? A previously flown own or new? I understand from other threads here that the B1050 booster is not likely to fly again??

Thanks

That's weird because they have B1052 and B1053 out there and could use it :/

They could always fly B1046 for a fourth time :)

Maybe it's a cost issue. They were getting a good deal on the proven booster.
No. Cost has nothing to do with it.

Remanifesting of Booster Cores will be in order if sticking with a reused core.

Offline Lar

  • Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11340
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8379
  • Likes Given: 6712
Maybe it's a cost issue. They were getting a good deal on the proven booster.
No. Cost has nothing to do with it.

Remanifesting of Booster Cores will be in order if sticking with a reused core.
Given that for block 4 they would sometimes take into account what mission was flown the first time, I'm not sure I would expect them to step away from that. Do you have a source?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Jakusb

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 954
  • NL
  • Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 405
So I spoke with Michel Doyon, Manager, Flight Operations at the Canadian Space Agency today and the RCM flight is going to be delayed again. How long I don't know. He said RCM was supposed to use the NASA CRS-16 mission booster (B1050) which had the grid fin issue and "softly" landed in the water.

Discussions between MDA, who contracted for the launch, and SpaceX are ongoing. Has anyone heard anything on a possible new launch date? Also which booster might it use? A previously flown own or new? I understand from other threads here that the B1050 booster is not likely to fly again??

Thanks

That's weird because they have B1052 and B1053 out there and could use it :/

They could always fly B1046 for a fourth time :)

Maybe it's a cost issue. They were getting a good deal on the proven booster.
No. Cost has nothing to do with it.

Remanifesting of Booster Cores will be in order if sticking with a reused core.

Good to know 1050 was supposed to go West.
We still have 1052 and 1053, and very maybe 1055 (although getting more and more doubtful)...
One will have to go West, unless they are getting comfortable with flying cores a 3rd time.
In that case we have available 1047 and 1049.

In case they dare flying a core for 4th time, 1046 will have had plenty of time to get checked out.

My money is on either 1052 or 1053 being re-assigned to West coast duty...



Online Jakusb

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 954
  • NL
  • Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 405
So I spoke with Michel Doyon, Manager, Flight Operations at the Canadian Space Agency today and the RCM flight is going to be delayed again. How long I don't know. He said RCM was supposed to use the NASA CRS-16 mission booster (B1050) which had the grid fin issue and "softly" landed in the water.

Discussions between MDA, who contracted for the launch, and SpaceX are ongoing. Has anyone heard anything on a possible new launch date? Also which booster might it use? A previously flown own or new? I understand from other threads here that the B1050 booster is not likely to fly again??

Thanks

That's weird because they have B1052 and B1053 out there and could use it :/

They could always fly B1046 for a fourth time :)

Maybe it's a cost issue. They were getting a good deal on the proven booster.

If cost was a big issue, they would get probably an even better deal if flying 1046 a fourth time.. ;)

Edit: If 1050 caused a delay, it would indicate that there is no obvious other solution than waiting for 1052 to launch CRS-17 frist? Or possibly 1051? If they really want a once-flown core..
« Last Edit: 12/23/2018 02:45 pm by Jakusb »

Offline vanoord

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 636
  • Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 78
B1047.3 would be a candidate?
« Last Edit: 12/23/2018 08:21 pm by vanoord »

Online pb2000

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 248
  • Calgary, AB/Mesquite, NV
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 124
As much as I detest using CBC as a spaceflight news source, they seemed to have confirmed that a launch in February is no longer in the cards, even going so far as to say "postponed ... indefinitely".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/spacex-musk-radarsat-constellation-mission-falcon9-1.4977512

I'm guessing the indefinite bit, means they are going back into the queue to wait for a new or gently used booster.

Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT)

Offline PM3

  • Member
  • Posts: 79
  • Germany
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 22
http://www.spaceflightfans.cn/event/falcon-9-rocket-launch-radarsat?instance_id=2321

Quote from: Google Translate
Falcon 9 Radarsat C-1/2/3
...
[February 15, 2019] Vandenberg news, no earlier than March 9, if the core level is confirmed as B1046.4, it is the fourth flight of the same core level.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 01:18 pm by PM3 »

Online crandles57

  • Member
  • Posts: 77
  • Sychdyn
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 26

Online Michael Baylor

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 583
  • Liked: 1387
  • Likes Given: 628
http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/space/uscom-man.txt

has Mar 6th

spaceflightfans seems down.
Yes, but the source for that might also be spaceflightfans? I don't think March 6th is accurate. SpaceX has not opened media accreditation yet, and they typically would have done so by now.

Tags: