Author Topic: Location of Falcon 9R landing pads?  (Read 11667 times)

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Location of Falcon 9R landing pads?
« on: 06/25/2013 03:43 PM »

It's been my assumption that the F9R first stages are going to land near the launch site, but haven't found anything that says that specifically. 

Looking at the Boca Chica site layout contained in the draft EIS, nothing leaps out as being a landing pad.  Assuming that the pad would be like the 50-meter square Grasshopper one at McGreggor, there's room enough at the site for one between the launch pad and TX 4, but nothing is indicated there.

So is construction of a landing pad near the launch pad just a matter for the future -- it shouldn't be a big deal -- or will recovery of the first stage occur farther from the launch pad than I've been assuming?

(The second picture below has a 50-meter square drawn on the current GoogleEarth image to show that there's room for it.)
"I canít tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Location of Falcon 9R landing pads?
« Reply #1 on: 06/25/2013 05:28 PM »
Interesting through to consider where F9R will land.  I have no clue about Texas, but what about where in Florida?

There has been discussion in other threads about the "muse" video (video URL attached) in terms of its accuracy.  Some saying it is just some animators version of things, and others saying it looks to have some real insight into actual engineering of F9R. 

So, I just looked at it again, and compared the visuals against wikimapia of the cape.  The animation of the landing site in the muse video is clearly from a satellite photo of the cape just south of SLC40 which is used to launch F9.  It shows a new landing pad right by the "Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) Skid Strip" 

Again, you can debate how much of that video could possibly be real vs some animators dream, but it provides for interesting speculation.

<edit spelling and format>
<edit 2, corrected name of space-x pad to SLC40>
« Last Edit: 06/25/2013 05:36 PM by neoforce »

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 416
  • Likes Given: 1017
« Reply #2 on: 06/25/2013 05:53 PM »
Also, is there any indication of where the landing pad at Vandenberg will be?
Seems likely that a Dragon will land there first.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9882
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: 06/25/2013 06:06 PM »
Also, is there any indication of where the landing pad at Vandenberg will be?
Seems likely that a Dragon will land there first.

Not dragon but Falcon stages

Offline Tnarg

« Reply #4 on: 06/25/2013 07:02 PM »
Imagen how cool it would be if you could see the lunch sight and landing sight.  I would pay good money to see FH lunch and then the 2 boosters land followed by the center stage followed by the upper stage.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: 06/25/2013 07:09 PM »
Imagen how cool it would be if you could see the lunch sight and landing sight.  I would pay good money to see FH lunch and then the 2 boosters land followed by the center stage followed by the upper stage.

I believe it is possible to eat lunch at KSC, then make a short trip over to the SLF. If you brown bag it, it's even easier.

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #6 on: 06/25/2013 07:16 PM »

Yeah, that would be cool.. Heck, I'm willing to pay to just see F9R and the first stage.

Of course there is talk of the center stage landing down range.  And I assume the upper stage will take a while, factoring in at least 90 minutes for one orbit.

Anyone have a clue how long it would take for the first stage to come back?  ~3 minutes from launch to separation, and boost back takes it up on a new higher ballistic path.  Not sure anyone did the calculations to estimate the time until return, but I assume it won't take that long?

Offline Space OurSoul

• Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #7 on: 06/25/2013 07:50 PM »
Of course there is talk of the center stage landing down range.

...and then presumably be minimally refueled and then self-ferry back to the launch site. That would also be a very cool thing to watch.

A complete OurSoul

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 221
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #8 on: 06/25/2013 07:55 PM »
Of course there is talk of the center stage landing down range.

...and then presumably be minimally refueled and then self-ferry back to the launch site. That would also be a very cool thing to watch.

Take that kind of speculation to another thread, possibly advanced concepts  ;)

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
« Reply #9 on: 06/25/2013 08:35 PM »
I would pay good money to see FH lunch and then the 2 boosters land followed by the center stage followed by the upper stage.

For the FH, any idea how far apart the landing pads would have to be to avoid unfortunate interactions as all that happens? Even if only the two boosters flew back to the launch site, you'd still need a pad separation of what -- a couple of hundred meters? That would be about all that could be squeezed in at Boca Chica between the launch site and the dunes at the shore. Otherwise it would be necessary to move at least one of them elsewhere.

"I canít tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline garidan

• Italy
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: 08/04/2013 10:44 PM »
As for the core stage of FH, couldn't it be enough to recover the stage down range in the sea ? No platform to land on, and no legs to use but a system to wrap the whole engines bay and preserve them from sea water, started in a sudden just after the switch off of the thrust on the way to land over water but before diving into the sea.
Spare helium could be used to inflate and keep water away from entering the barrier, and to cold the central engine, at least until the rescue ship comes.
The engines alone are worth 9 millions, the structure is alluminium and is seawater-proof.

Even if Spacex were ready for land recovery, it will take a long time before they will be allowed to land, I think.
It could be safer and repay itself in the meanwhile develop and recover all cores in the sea, just "sealing" the engines with one (inflatable) cap over the core tail.

PS: I found this early recovery "structure"
« Last Edit: 08/04/2013 10:47 PM by garidan »

Online Comga

• Liked: 1342
  • Likes Given: 1091
« Reply #11 on: 08/04/2013 11:50 PM »
Garidan: Ocean recovery of F9 cores is not gonna happen because Elon said not.
There is another thread for downrange recovery.  if you are going to rethrash the fish-it-out-of-the-ocean idea, that's a better place.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online Comga

• Liked: 1342
  • Likes Given: 1091
« Reply #12 on: 08/05/2013 12:31 AM »
Are some of the CCAFS pads at the waters edge unused, even derelict?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28.486044,-80.568607&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&z=13>

Near the SpaceX launch processing facility
The air space and water will be cleared for  launch from SLC-40.
Right by the ocean
Radar etc. facilities operational

Need Air Force buy-in, of course, but there is some authority to convince everywhere.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Tags: