Author Topic: ULA Releases New Updated Combined 2013 AV/DIV Technical Documents (PDF)  (Read 18080 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3777
  • Likes Given: 746
ULA is now in the process of updating their website's user and product document and is to be fully updated by the end of the year according to the person I recently talked to. The Atlas V and Delta IV product cards have been replaced on ULA with a new 2013 Updated Technical Summary. The new ULA DIV user guide ("The Delta IV Launch Services User’s Guide has been cleared for public release by the Chief, Office of Security Review, Department of Defense, as stated in letter 13-S-1948, dated June 04, 2013.") has now been released to the public. The new ULA AV user guide is expected to be released to the public by late 2013 upon the receipt by ULA that the Atlas V Launch Services User’s Guide has been cleared for public release by the Chief, Office of Security Review, Department of Defense. People have been asking for these so here you go. I will add the new ULA links and PDFs as they become available.

Note 1: AV RL-10 info now also includes information on RL-10C-1 (Per the 2013 DIV PDF, the RL-10C-1 design, which is currently in the latter stages of its implementation programme on AV's Centaur stage, is directly derived from the RL-10B-2 design and also directly serves as the baseline design for the RL-10C-2 implementation programme on DIV's DCSS stage).*

Note 2: DIV RL-10 info now also includes information on RL-10C-2 (Per the 2013 DIV PDF, the RL-10C-2 design is directly derived from the RL-10C-1 design).*

Note 3: DIV CBC Engine info now refers to and reflects data for RS-68A only (Per both DIV PDF's).

Note 4: (* This note is the 1st reference for the info presented above in notes 1 and 2) RL-10C is currently mentioned in detail in Section 8.2.1 (ULA DIV UG PDF page 244 (Section pg. 8-2)) titled 8.2.1 RL10C-2 2nd Stage Engine Upgrade.

Note 5: (* This note is the 2nd reference for the info presented above in notes 1 and 2) Related information that is heavily connected to the implementation efforts of the RL-10C-2 on DIV is located in Section 8.3.2 (ULA DIV UG PDF page 250 (Section pg. 8-8)) titled 8.3.2 Common Avionics.

Quote 1: (* The below quoted material located after this pair of parenthesis was directly taken from Section 8.2.1 ( ULA DIV UG PDF page 244 (Section pg. 8-2)) titled 8.2.1 RL10C-2 2nd Stage Engine Upgrade, is to be used in conjunction with the info presented above in notes 1 and 2):
The RL10C-2 development will be managed through the RL10 Sustainment and Modernization Program.

Quote 2: (* The below quoted material located after this pair of parenthesis was directly taken from Section 8.2.1 ( ULA DIV UG PDF page 244 (Section pg. 8-2)) titled 8.2.1 RL10C-2 2nd Stage Engine Upgrade, is to be used in conjunction with the info presented above in notes 1 and 2):
Additionally, the RL10C-2 is intended to be qualified to operate with active Mixture Ratio control, a capability available on Atlas/Centaur missions dating back to 1965. This feature, enabled on Delta IV by the addition of Common Avionics (Section 8.3.2), could result in a performance improvement of up to 200 lb for certain Delta missions.

---------

LINK for 2013 AV/DIV Technical Summary (PDF) (Note these links are the same PDF): http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/AV_product_card.pdf
http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/DIV_product_card.pdf

LINK For 2013 DIV User Guide (PDF):
http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/guides/Delta%20IV%20Users%20Guide%20June%202013.pdf

LINK For 2013 AV User Guide (PDF):
Coming Soon
« Last Edit: 07/13/2013 09:35 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
Finally some numbers for the updated DIV-H.

Very impressive  8)

Surely Orion with an unfilled SM can be lofted to LEO??

Perhaps it's slightly off topic but it's fun to discuss what this new capability is useful for now the numbers have been revealed.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 2013
  • Likes Given: 760
What prevents the 401/411 and 501/511 from GEO capabiility?  The graphic implies the same size Centaur as the 421/431 and 521/531 which DO have GEO capacity so propellant load doesn't seem obvious. 
« Last Edit: 06/22/2013 04:43 am by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3152
  • Likes Given: 695
I read that as in having too low of a performance to be worth it, not that those configurations are unable to insert a payload into GEO.

Then again, it might really not have enough propellant left to complete circularization after GTO transfer. Extrapolating the trend between x21, x31, x41 doesn't seem to support that conclusion, but who knows.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2013 11:19 am by ugordan »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
  • Liked: 7174
  • Likes Given: 1147
Looking at the numbers in detail and comparing them with the original capabilities is interesting.  Delta IV Heavy sees improved performance, but all of the other Delta IV Mediums lose payload capability.  This, I presume, is due to the shift to a truly "common" core for all vehicle types, which saves money but adds weight. 

Atlas V loses capability for lighter class payloads, but sees improved performance for heavier payloads.  This, I presume, is due to RL-10C having higher thrust, but lower ISP, than RL-10A-4-2.  Atlas V also gains LEO ability for the single-engine Centaur variants.  Notice that no dual engine Centaur data is listed in this document.

I've updated my vehicle pages accordingly.
http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/atlas5.html
http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/delta4.html

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 06/23/2013 12:47 am by edkyle99 »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1267
  • Likes Given: 1132
It is interesting that no data was given for the Atlas Heavy variant. Have ULA given up on it?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1169
  • Likes Given: 287
Does this mean Delta is now down to three unique cores? Heavy left, heavy center, and heavy right?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 18439
  • Likes Given: 397
Does this mean Delta is now down to three unique cores? Heavy left, heavy center, and heavy right?

and medium

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 18439
  • Likes Given: 397
It is interesting that no data was given for the Atlas Heavy variant. Have ULA given up on it?

long ago

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 343
Should be able to put an Orion w/loaded SM into LEO, but that's about it. They are barely getting enough out of it for EFT-1 and the SM is just a skeleton.

Very impressive  8)

Perhaps it's slightly off topic but it's fun to discuss what this new capability is useful for now the numbers have been revealed.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
EFT-1 is going a bit higher than LEO in an attempt to demonstrate a BEO reentry.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 343
Yes and a 3600 mile apogee is also a lot higher than LEO, which is why I said they are barely getting there with a skeleton SM.

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 423
Should be able to put an Orion w/loaded SM into LEO, but that's about it. They are barely getting enough out of it for EFT-1 and the SM is just a skeleton.

Very impressive  8)

What would D4H's TLI throw be now?

Just wondering if there's be anything to be gained if D4H could throw an unscrewed test Orion with skeleton SM through TLI on a free return trajectory?  I wouldn't even need to launch with the LAS, and the SM really only need to have solar panels and basic systems.  No main propulsion even as it's not doing any LOI or TEI burns.  Or will ETF-1 already give NASA all the data an uncrewed free return mission could?

Just seems the first SLS flight will not only be the first test flight of SLS, but the first real long duration test flight of Orion.  They tested the CSM and LV separately with Apollo...but maybe technology is such today that you don't need to actually do much in flight testing?
ETF-1 seems to be more of a heat shield check than a real long duration test.

Then again, they never sent an unscrewed Apollo CSM around the moon, so maybe it's not necessary, regardless of if D4H could even do it.

Offline DGH

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 4
« Last Edit: 07/06/2013 05:07 pm by DGH »

Offline russianhalo117

New Delta IV User Guide.

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/guides/Delta%20IV%20Users%20Guide%20June%202013.pdf
I hear that the new AV User Guide should hopefully be made public on the ULA website before the end of August 2013.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2013 10:46 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline russianhalo117

ULA is now in the process of updating their website's user and product document and is to be fully updated by the end of the year according to the person I recently talked to. The Atlas V and Delta IV product cards have been replaced on ULA with a new 2013 Updated Technical Summary. The new ULA DIV user guide ("The Delta IV Launch Services User’s Guide has been cleared for public release by the Chief, Office of Security Review, Department of Defense, as stated in letter 13-S-1948, dated June 04, 2013.") has now been released to the public. The new ULA AV user guide is expected to be released to the public by late 2013 upon the receipt by ULA that the Atlas V Launch Services User’s Guide has been cleared for public release by the Chief, Office of Security Review, Department of Defense. People have been asking for these so here you go. I will add the new ULA links and PDFs as they become available.
Note 1: AV RL-10 info supposedly now reflects RL-10C (aka RL-10C-2) only
Note 2: DIV RL-10 info supposedly now reflects RL-10B-2 (also known as unmodified RL-10C or RL-10C-1) only
Note 3: DIV CBC Engine info supposedly now reflects RS-68A only

LINK for 2013 AV/DIV Technical Summary (PDF) (Note these links are the same PDF): http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/AV_product_card.pdf
http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/product_cards/DIV_product_card.pdf

LINK For 2013 DIV User Guide (PDF):

LINK For 2013 AV User Guide (PDF):
Coming Soon
I have updated the information in my below post to include 2013 DIV User Guide (PDF) and I have also uploaded a PDF copy of the 2013 DIV User Guide for those of you that want to immediately download it. To obtain it please scroll up to the first post or follow this link: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32176.msg1065250#msg1065250

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 2013
  • Likes Given: 760
Fascinating document with amazing detail--how is it NOT ITAR non-compliant?

The Medium and Medium+ upgrade options are interesting but will anyone request them?

The 3rd stage option for planetary missions is also interesting--the legacy of the Delta II may live on.

For those worried about toxic propellants this was truly intriguing--a green, maximum efficiency one fuel/oxidizer booster...

8.3.1 Integrated Vehicle Fluids (IVF)
ULA is presently developing a system called Integrated Vehicle Fluids (IVF) that will ultimately replace the existing hydrazine reaction control system, the high pressure helium storage and tank pressurization and vent system, and the large-capacity batteries which power the Centaur and Delta IV second stages. The heart of the IVF system is a small auxiliary power unit which burns waste hydrogen and oxygen from the main vehicle tanks, to produce shaft power for electrical generation and to drive small compressors which perform tank pressurization. Small hydrogen/oxygen thrusters are used for attitude control. IVF drastically reduces hardware mass by removing heavy and bulky pre-loaded storage vessels and high pressure control valving. More importantly it makes use of waste gases and hence effectively eliminates the mass of these secondary propellants and gases. Because power unit exhaust is used for continuous vehicle settling, propellant heating is reduced which maximizes usable propellants. The overall benefit to the payload is dependent on mission architecture, with the greatest benefit accruing to multiple-burn missions with long coast durations. Applied to Centaur, Delta IV second stage, or ACES, the IVF system can improve GSO performance by up to 1,000 pounds.

« Last Edit: 07/07/2013 04:11 am by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2508
  • Likes Given: 7965
The one that catch my eye was the fact that since now they use the M+(5,4) core, they are offering an M+(4,4) that has even better performance. I guess at could well get used. After all, most Atlas V (and basically the rest of the world satellites), are 4m compatible.
I've done some more reading, and the (5,4) does about 400kg more than the (5,2) to GTO equivalent to Ariane 5 (1,500m/s delta-v deficit). Which would put a (4,4) at about 5.8 tonnes to GTO. Almost like a Sea Launch. Not bad at all.
Now, I went and looked at the use of Atlas V 421 and 431. All were commercial launches! Commercial birds are usually 3.7m (i.e. fit in a 4m fairing) because they have to fit a Proton-M or Zenit-3SLB. But Altas V did launch two 5m (Rainbow 1 and AMC 16). Thus, it would appear that an M+(4,4) would be great, but for commercial launches, which it seems to be a bit off budget.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2013 06:16 pm by baldusi »

Offline DGH

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 4
Just thought I would post a few thoughts from my first look at these two documents.

1) The base Delta IV took a massive hit in performance.
2) User guide is rather lacking in data. No C3, no GPS, no TLI only one GTO with no tables and figures.
3) On page 2-10 there is a table with 5 (16 old guide) orbits listed. One orbit I had not seen before 35,786 x 7960 km . Looks perfect for Ion and Hall thrusters to GEO.
4) ACES has gone from 90,000 lbs fuel to 110,000lbs since the 2010 Atlas Guide. It is also the same height as the current 5 m upper stage.
5)  “ACES will increase the Delta IV M+(5,4) performance to cover the heavy medium class currently requiring an Atlas 551”  IMO major increase in competiveness. Atlas 53ACES should outperform a 551 as well
6) ACES “will increase Delta IV Heavy performance up to 37 mT.” Major jump from 28.37 mt almost 9 mt.
7) The first flight of the common avionics is planned for the third quarter of 2015 aboard an Atlas V.
8 As Targeteer mentioned IVF 1000 lbs to GSO is a lot.
9) Still no figure for vacuum thrust of the RS-68A. I do look forward to the additional couple of percent that is almost certain to show up after multiple flights.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
  • Liked: 7174
  • Likes Given: 1147
1) The base Delta IV took a massive hit in performance.
3.3% less to LEO, about 7.4% less to GTO.  Significant, but I don't think I would call it "massive".  Offsetting the loss, of course, is the presumed cost savings of a "common" core.

I wonder too if those original performance goals were ever actually achieved.

- Ed Kyle 
« Last Edit: 07/12/2013 01:45 pm by edkyle99 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography