Author Topic: Ukrainian Mayak LV project  (Read 15907 times)

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 2785
  • Likes Given: 2769
Ukrainian Mayak LV project
« on: 05/19/2013 10:02 pm »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
Re: Ukrainian Mayak LV project
« Reply #1 on: 05/19/2013 10:09 pm »
http://www.nkau.gov.ua/nsau/newsnsau.nsf/HronolR/E6E10392E5366E1BC2257B5C00521756?OpenDocument&Lang=R

Google translate:
"Yuzhnoye" Design Office not only focuses on the current problems of experts and projects, but also intensifies the long-term research and development to ensure a stable future for the enterprise, full implementation of its scientific and technological capacity, and, ultimately, to ensure the creation of new generations of space technology, based on the the latest technical solutions. Among such projects - a promising family of environmentally friendly carrier rockets "Lighthouse", which is based on the best design and engineering solutions, used for previously established defense systems CB "South." This can significantly reduce the cost of developing the project, and so on. In the design stage is the development of unmanned aerial vehicles, liquid and solid rocket motors for various purposes, transportation and space systems based on high-altitude supersonic aircraft and aerospace complex ultralight class.

The most important activity of the "Yuzhnoye" Design Office is the development of liquid-and solid motors with a full production cycle of the material in Ukraine. Today, the company completes the testing of the upper stage engine RSC "Cyclone-4", creates a range of engines for upper stages, which can be used in their own and foreign projects. Intensively developing a family of the main engines of the first and second stages of the rockets thrust from 120 to 250 tons. A project to create a powerful propulsion rocket engine thrust up to 500 tons, projects to create a propulsion module that will be able to ensure the delivery of cargo and crews to the moon and the next planet of the solar system. Creation in Ukraine of modern competitive rocket engines is important both for a complete missile systems from other manufacturers, as well as for the production of single, demanded on the world market a product that has great export potential.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2013 10:15 pm by Salo »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #2 on: 05/20/2013 01:03 am »
Looks like some updated Mayak plans do you have more details?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: 05/20/2013 07:40 am »
No, I haven't.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 626
  • Likes Given: 713
« Reply #4 on: 06/01/2013 07:33 pm »
Note to all: Mayak is a sort of generic new generation Yuzhnoye design for space launch. It has been around for many years in PowerPoint format.

No, it is not a funded project.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #5 on: 06/01/2013 08:07 pm »
Note to all: Mayak is a sort of generic new generation Yuzhnoye design for space launch. It has been around for many years in PowerPoint format.

No, it is not a funded project.

looks they have some new PowerPoint's or are these old ones?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 06/02/2013 12:17 am »
I don't know if those particular charts are new, I have seen so many over the years that it is hard to keep track.

Mayak exists partially because the Ukrainians have the right to build RD-120 engines under license, and clustering enough of those engines can produce a fairly good sized launch vehicle. The charts imply that the RD-120s used in this project are not the newest variant, though, as Energomash has increased thrust of the RD-120 to some 95 tons or so.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 1032
« Reply #7 on: 06/02/2013 04:15 am »
I don't know if those particular charts are new, I have seen so many over the years that it is hard to keep track.

Mayak exists partially because the Ukrainians have the right to build RD-120 engines under license, and clustering enough of those engines can produce a fairly good sized launch vehicle. The charts imply that the RD-120s used in this project are not the newest variant, though, as Energomash has increased thrust of the RD-120 to some 95 tons or so.

Then why are they talking about a 500 ton thrust engine... unless google is wrong with that...

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2013 06:53 pm »
Ukrainian project Mayak LV:

http://www.picatom.com/27/mayak-2.html

I love it!
The Ukrainian people will be proud of the booster family once it gets real publicity and funds.
Perhaps a launch off a floating platform in the western Black Sea may be possible IMHO; first-stage splashes down west of the Caucasus; second stage burns up or crashes in Kazakh desert.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: 09/03/2013 06:06 pm »
New variants with indian collaboration:
http://spetstechnoexport.com/uk/catalogues/497
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 09:30 am by Salo »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 09/03/2013 06:35 pm »
http://ste.com.ua/index.php?hl=en&idd=catalog&catalog=b5e8feba979fb4a7f164948f45a96380&a=529

It would be wonderful if the Ukrainians and the Indians would collaborate on space systems, but the problem is that the Ukrainians have no money, and the Indians historically don't pay for foreign technical services, although they typically do not disclose this early in the projects.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #12 on: 09/03/2013 07:00 pm »
http://ste.com.ua/index.php?hl=en&idd=catalog&catalog=b5e8feba979fb4a7f164948f45a96380&a=529

It would be wonderful if the Ukrainians and the Indians would collaborate on space systems, but the problem is that the Ukrainians have no money, and the Indians historically don't pay for foreign technical services, although they typically do not disclose this early in the projects.

Interesting move.  Might be even better if Brazil joined the team and they changed their plans. ;)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 09/03/2013 11:33 pm »

Interesting move.  Might be even better if Brazil joined the team and they changed their plans. ;)

It turned out that Brazil didn't have a lot of cash for rockets, either.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 8090
« Reply #14 on: 09/04/2013 01:18 am »
I think that the current Brazilian government only has money for local construction contracts. And bid with little or no competition.

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 175
« Reply #15 on: 09/04/2013 02:59 pm »
Yeah, neither India nor Brazil are really in a state to be spending large amount on space right now; even India's purely domestic programs are probably going to be hit.

It's a rather bad time to try to market a new launch vehicle. Developing world economies aren't growing enough to support new space development, and developed world private investors aren't going to spend money on a rocket that could get get crushed by SpaceX in a few years. The only exceptions are Bezos's and Allen's attempts to build their own small space empires.

So, regardless of how good Mayak is, I really can't think of anyone that would want to buy it...
« Last Edit: 09/04/2013 02:59 pm by simonbp »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #16 on: 09/04/2013 05:44 pm »
Money is plenty, even for countries as India and Brazil. The political willingness to actually invest it in space programs, that's a whole different issue. Just to make a point Brazil has equal population and GDP as Russia. Trust me, in the national budget the space program won't even budge the 0.01%.

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #17 on: 09/04/2013 07:29 pm »
Money is plenty, even for countries as India and Brazil. The political willingness to actually invest it in space programs, that's a whole different issue. Just to make a point Brazil has equal population and GDP as Russia. Trust me, in the national budget the space program won't even budge the 0.01%.
And what a pity! They have prime launch center real estate near the equator, even better than Kourou.  Brazil is the largest economy without a major space program. Quite a wasted opportunity.
psas.pdx.edu

Offline baldusi

« Reply #18 on: 09/04/2013 07:45 pm »
And what a pity! They have prime launch center real estate near the equator, even better than Kourou.  Brazil is the largest economy without a major space program. Quite a wasted opportunity.
The next Fifa World Cup will have cost the same that the previous four together! I tell you, the politicians and their friend did not wasted these decade. Regrettably, my country is worse. But trust me, the percentage dedicated to space within Brazilian economy is so small as to be insulting.
And they don't like to send money overseas. Most of the ACS investment is in civil construction. I don't think Brazil will make Mayak a reality.

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1026
« Reply #19 on: 03/27/2014 01:38 am »
Scale model of the five-core variant: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/mayak.html

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement