Author Topic: Partnerships to Advance the Business of Space Hearing on Thursday May 16  (Read 8234 times)

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 167
Wow, I was favorably impressed by Wayne Hale.  He made sensible and important points very clearly and articulately.

I don't usually have much good to say about Sen. Nelson, but he did a great job today.  Do not let it be said he's not a supporter of commercial cargo and crew.
Sorry for being just a tad cynical but 'talk is cheap'.

In addition, I don't see how you can compare the LEO commercial crew program and the BEO traditional NASA program in the same breath.  The methodology is dyametrically opposed. 

BEO will not happen if you continue with the existing NASA cost+ approach.  You really have to provide competition for all development.  Set the requirements and let the companies work out how to do it.  Any other way is simply repeating the past mistakes. 
JM2CW
« Last Edit: 05/17/2013 01:26 am by beancounter »
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1474
  • Likes Given: 889
Partnerships to Advance the Business of Space:
May 16 2013 10:00 AM
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Hearings&ContentRecord_id=93f78807-737f-4354-9141-e5d728c0ecfe

Archived webcast has been posted. It starts at 45 minutes into it.

The archived webcast has now been posted on Youtube (uploaded by SpaceKSCBlog):

« Last Edit: 05/18/2013 02:07 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 6981
Anybody getting the archived webcast to work?  If so, which browser?

It worked for me.. Windows/Firefox.

(and was the usual whole-lot-of-nuffin)

Disagree. I thought three out of 4 panel members were excellent, and the 4th, while maybe a bit self-aggrandizing made some good points too.

Whether anything comes of it? now THERE's your nuffin :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1233
  • Likes Given: 756
Wow, I was favorably impressed by Wayne Hale.  He made sensible and important points very clearly and articulately.

I don't usually have much good to say about Sen. Nelson, but he did a great job today.  Do not let it be said he's not a supporter of commercial cargo and crew.
Sorry for being just a tad cynical but 'talk is cheap'.

In addition, I don't see how you can compare the LEO commercial crew program and the BEO traditional NASA program in the same breath.  The methodology is dyametrically opposed. 

BEO will not happen if you continue with the existing NASA cost+ approach.  You really have to provide competition for all development.  Set the requirements and let the companies work out how to do it.  Any other way is simply repeating the past mistakes. 
JM2CW

Granted, it was all just talk, and it may be that none of that talk will ever be made into action.  But compared too many other congressional hearings -- not a high standard, I admit -- I thought it was pretty good.  At least there weren't a lot of elephants in the room that went unmentioned, as so often happens.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 786
Does anyone think NASA has the financial management skills that would make a budget increase credible?  Not that any federal agency does.

A genuine worry.  Would a budget increase allow them to achieve more or would it just support a larger, more Byzantine and less responsive bureaucracy?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 36
Does anyone think NASA has the financial management skills that would make a budget increase credible?  Not that any federal agency does.

A genuine worry.  Would a budget increase allow them to achieve more or would it just support a larger, more Byzantine and less responsive bureaucracy?

Would a budget increase allow the Border Patrol to better patrol our nation's borders, or would it just support a larger, more Byzantine and less responsive bureaucracy?

Would a budget increase allow the Interior Department to be better custodians of our National Park system, or would it just support a larger, more Byzantine and less responsive bureaucracy?

Would a budget increase allow the IRS to go after more tax cheats, or would it just support a larger, more Byzantine and less responsive bureaucracy?

Your question can be applied to any organization at any level, not just the Federal government. And the two components of your question are not mutually exclusive at all. A larger budget would allow any organization to both grow its bureaucracy and be more effective, the degree of which depending on the skill, motivation, and drive of its upper management.

So the answer is yes to both, and the question is where the balance would lie. With good leadership, an inspirational goal, and sufficient oversight, NASA could indeed achieve much more with a 0.6% share of the budget ($23B) than is currently possible with its existing 0.46% share of the budget ($17.7B).

Mark S.

Offline yg1968

It was a positive meeting. Senator Cruz asked a lot of relevant questions. Senator Cruz seems very concerned about the commercial sector. He is very different from Senator Hutchison. This bolds well for the next authorization Act. Both Senators Cruz and Nelson understand the importance of the commercial sector for LEO transportation. Nelson said at the end that he and Senator Cruz will have to push for it but he seemed somewhat optimistic about commercial crew getting the required funding for FY 2014 given the recent success of the commercial cargo program.

I would be very curious to get 51D Mascot's view on Senator Cruz.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2013 02:17 pm by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

Also, I was somewhat taken aback when Mr. Hale stated that NASA could only do great things if they are given 4-5% of the federal budget, like during the run-up to Apollo.

He was trying to make the point that we can't do things like we did under the Apollo program. We have to do them more efficiently. This is why reducing costs of transportation to space is very important.   
« Last Edit: 05/17/2013 02:35 pm by yg1968 »

Tags: