Author Topic: Partnerships to Advance the Business of Space Hearing on Thursday May 16  (Read 10444 times)

Online yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065

Online yg1968

Online yg1968

Witnesses:
Mr. N. Wayne Hale Jr.
Director of Human Spaceflight, Special Aerospace Services
NASA Flight Director & Program Manager (ret.)

Ms. Patti Grace Smith
Aerospace Consultant/Advisor
Patti Grace Smith Consulting, L.L.C.

Captain Michael Lopez-Alegria USN (ret.)
President
Commercial Spaceflight Federation

Dr. Steven H. Collicott
Professor, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
College of Engineering, Purdue University

Offline BobCarver

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 12
Wayne asked for suggestions on what he should tell them on his blog http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/breaking-a-rule/

Online yg1968

Starts in 5 minutes.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
Mr Hale comes across really well.

Offline Chris Bergin

The video will be up later, but here's a few screenshots of some people we know! :)

And yes, Mr Hale is very much coming across very well indeed.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline muomega0

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 1
Wayne Hale - Step 1 high cost to LEO is preventing space commercialization

mentions commercial crew and cargo can help deep space exploration in significant ways

Offline muomega0

1 hour and 16 minutes in:

Q: How can commercial aid Deep Space Exploration.

Wayne Hale:  Starts with cargo and hardware demonstrated on ISS testbed that adds another step in the learning curve.  However, to go beyond sorties, it will require logistics.  With low cost access to space, a large number of new businesses are possible, as well as enable NASA to push into new frontiers.

Q: Way has it been so hard to have commercial be accepted into the architecture?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
Wow, I was favorably impressed by Wayne Hale.  He made sensible and important points very clearly and articulately.

I don't usually have much good to say about Sen. Nelson, but he did a great job today.  Do not let it be said he's not a supporter of commercial cargo and crew.

Online yg1968

Partnerships to Advance the Business of Space:
May 16 2013 10:00 AM
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Hearings&ContentRecord_id=93f78807-737f-4354-9141-e5d728c0ecfe

Archived webcast has been posted. It starts at 45 minutes into it.

Offline muomega0

Wow, I was favorably impressed by Wayne Hale.  He made sensible and important points very clearly and articulately.

I don't usually have much good to say about Sen. Nelson, but he did a great job today.  Do not let it be said he's not a supporter of commercial cargo and crew.

Wayne Hales Testimony

Quote from: WayneHale
The most singularly vexing problem with space flight is the high cost of getting to low earth orbit. As the noted science fiction writer Robert Heinlein once observed, ‘when you are in earth orbit you are half way to anywhere in the universe’ which accurately reflects the physics of the situation.

In my home I have an entire shelf of books populated by volumes of studies and proposals from a multitude of thinkers spread over decades on that subject:  how to provide reliable safe space transportation on the cheap.   

But the technologies of the 1970s, harnessed to a risk adverse government apparatus resulted in system that was only slightly less expensive than those that went before.

Poised on the cusp of these new systems, we run the risk of being penny wise and pound foolish as we make the same mistake that doomed the space shuttle to much higher operational cost operations:  starving a spacecraft development program in the name of saving a few pennies for today's budget bottom line resulting in the compromised systems that, if they fly at all, will not be cheap enough to enable business in space.

...the payback from exploration will be enormous for both the country and for all humanity. 

The SLS and the MPCV should be developed in conjunction with the commercial low earth orbit transportation systems. 

The commercial systems will enable the deep space exploration initiative in substantial ways..... Cost effective commercial transportation to low earth orbit can make a vital difference in equipping the deep space fleet.

I urge the Congress to fully fund these vital activities, both the commercial crew program and the exploration systems.

The linking of LEO commercial crew and cargo and and deep space is a key point as well as low cost IMLEO.  It was not quite clear what is meant by exploration systems.

The path forward to go to an asteroid with SLS/ORION and SEP that compromises the mission and the cost forward so fully funding both systems is inefficient:  including SLS/Orion in the path forward takes NASA back to Square Zero by not meeting the fundamental challenge of economical access to space.
« Last Edit: 05/16/2013 05:33 pm by muomega0 »

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 80
I was hoping that Mr. Hale would say that 1) the budget is not sufficient for NASA's mission, 2) NASA should not be a political football, and 3) the Administration needs to provide a more aggressive schedule for SLS.

Also, I was somewhat taken aback when Mr. Hale stated that NASA could only do great things if they are given 4-5% of the federal budget, like during the run-up to Apollo. He then followed up by saying that the historical funding level for NASA "over the past 20 years" is 0.5% of the budget, when in fact it was at or near 1% 20 years ago, and has been slowly trending down to about 0.75% right up until 2009. Only very recently has the NASA budget fallen to the currently distressed level of less than 0.5% of the budget.

The current federal budget is $3.8T or $3800 billion. Even at 0.5%, the NASA budget would be $19 billion instead of $17.7 billion. And with a more reasonable 0.75% budget allocation of $28.5 billion, we wouldn't have this constant squabbling between SLS and commercial. Not that I expect $28 billion to happen any time soon.

NASA could do amazing things with $20-23 billion budget, which is far less than 5% of the budget ($190 billion!) that Mr. Hale said that NASA would need to do great things.

If this kind of testimony is never given to Congress by respected experts, how will Congress ever be able to justify an increase in NASA's budget?

Mark S.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Does anyone think NASA has the financial management skills that would make a budget increase credible?  Not that any federal agency does.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Hearings&ContentRecord_id=93f78807-737f-4354-9141-e5d728c0ecfe

Anybody getting the archived webcast to work?  If so, which browser?

So far, I've only tried a couple of the "click-to-play" ones (Firefox and Chrome) and the video starts to load and then dies (returning to the click-to-play display).

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108

It worked for me.. Windows/Firefox.

(and was the usual whole-lot-of-nuffin)
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818

So far, I've only tried a couple of the "click-to-play" ones (Firefox and Chrome) and the video starts to load and then dies (returning to the click-to-play display).

I had that issue, but I kept trying and then it worked. Had to reload the player a few times.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline BobCarver

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 12
I had no problems with the presentation playing. The audio was a little low. I'm using Seamonkey on Linux. Should be the same as Firefox.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089

I had that issue, but I kept trying and then it worked. Had to reload the player a few times.
This eventually worked for me with Windows/Chrome -- thanks.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Well done Mr. Hale! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island