Author Topic: Copenhagen Suborbitals have begun work on 1.6m core  (Read 20126 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3545
  • Likes Given: 840
Re: Copenhagen Suborbitals have begun work on 1.6m core
« Reply #20 on: 07/30/2013 03:50 PM »
They've been through that already, and made some good government contacts that are protecting them.
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #21 on: 07/31/2013 10:11 AM »
I don't see why it's any different to any sort of extreme sports.

There was a guy that died recently using one of those flying man skydiving suits. I'm sure the government was not responsible for that.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 950
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #22 on: 07/31/2013 11:36 AM »
I don't see why it's any different to any sort of extreme sports.
There was a guy that died recently using one of those flying man skydiving suits. I'm sure the government was not responsible for that.

Remember that this is Europe and EU. Way too many bureaucrats per citizen who love their jobs and are always on the lookout for new things to 'bureaucracize' with directives/permits and what not. If somebody somewhere gets injured or killed then it's a sign that there isn't enough regulation, because of thinking that in perfectly regulated world nobody gets injured or killed.

Last year Chamonix had four wing suit accidents in one week resulting the mayor banning the activity indefinitely. Now the ban is lifted but new regulation is in place.

I fear similar backlash if CS flight goes bad, and it may have EU wide effects.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Morten C.

• Copenhagen, Denmark
    • twitter.com/MortenCu
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 10/01/2013 06:00 PM »

There's one thing I don't understand about Copenhagen Suborbitals. At some point (i.e. when it looks likely that CS are going to put an actual human on a rocket) won't the Danish Government step in with a whole lot of red tape that would make it commercially impractical to fly anybody?

I'm figuring that the Danish Government wouldn't want the bad publicity of CS having a bad day because the finger of blame might get pointed at them.

Thoughts?
Have to remember that launch operation takes place in international waters, at the moment close to the danish island Bornholm, but it could be where ever there is sea.

In teori that means no national jurisdiction apply, when outside the 12 nautical miles territorial waters. Ofcause danish law apply on the boats itself as they sail under danish flag.

CS have always stated that they will not fly commercially. If you wanna fly you join the club, and work your way to a ride.

New video with the first bits of HEAT-1600 hardware

Regards
Morten

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 362
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #24 on: 10/02/2013 04:50 AM »

There's one thing I don't understand about Copenhagen Suborbitals. At some point (i.e. when it looks likely that CS are going to put an actual human on a rocket) won't the Danish Government step in with a whole lot of red tape that would make it commercially impractical to fly anybody?

There is a good chance that the Danish government would indeed impose some sort of regulatory regime on Danish nationals flying into space, or on rockets, regardless of where the launch takes place.

This outfit does not launch enough to demonstrate a safety record, and simply having its "members" sign waivers will before flying should not be enough for the Danish government. The 3rd party liability issue is also significant, and the Danish government will want some assurances in the form of paperwork and performance to ensure that the people of Denmark are not stuck with a bill if some launch kills a cow in Germany.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 950
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #25 on: 10/02/2013 06:49 AM »
There is a good chance that the Danish government would indeed impose some sort of regulatory regime on Danish nationals flying into space, or on rockets, regardless of where the launch takes place.

The Danish government is bound to do so by OST, it follows Sputnik everywhere.

Quote from: OST
Article VII

Each State Party to the Treaty that launches or procures the launching of an object into outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, and each State Party from whose territory or facility an object is launched, is internationally liable for damage to another State Party to the Treaty or to its natural or juridical persons by such object or its component parts on the Earth, in air or in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Tags: