Author Topic: SLS Development Stage UPDATE Thread (2)  (Read 471450 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: SLS Development Stage UPDATE Thread (2)
« Reply #880 on: 03/16/2018 01:14 PM »
Standalone thread in Orion, but could have worked in numerous sections.

ARTICLE: Cislunar station gets thumbs up, new name in President's budget request -

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/cislunar-station-new-name-presidents-budget/

- By Philip Sloss.

(Numerous renders by Nathan Koga)
« Last Edit: 03/16/2018 01:16 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2203
  • Likes Given: 1555
« Reply #881 on: 03/22/2018 01:45 AM »
Rocket Science in 60 Seconds: NASA’s Orion stage adapter for the Space Launch System

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center
Published on Mar 21, 2018

Rocket Science in 60 Seconds gives you an inside look at work being done at NASA to explore deep space like never before. In this episode, we go behind the scenes at the agency's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, to see the Orion stage adapter for NASA's new rocket, the Space Launch System. The Orion stage adapter will connect the Orion spacecraft to the upper part of the rocket and will carry 13 small satellites. Brent Gaddes, the Orion stage adapter manager, tells us how the adapter was built and why it's so important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNSxn4MPos?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8585
  • Likes Given: 5600
« Reply #882 on: 03/22/2018 01:48 AM »
I think Janicki made that carbon fiber dome thing. At least they did for EFT-1.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Markstark

• Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #883 on: 03/22/2018 02:35 AM »
I think Janicki made that carbon fiber dome thing. At least they did for EFT-1.
That’s correct. The EM-1 design is nearly identical to EFT-1 MSA. They just added 13 cubesat dispensers.

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/multimedia/diaphragm-layers-for-Orion-stage-adapter

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 6760
  • Likes Given: 2105
« Reply #884 on: 03/26/2018 05:42 PM »
Hill: some recent issues with engine section of SLS core stage; may push back completion of section from May-June to August.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/978316819994902530?s=21

Hill: still the “appropriate thing” to continue targeting December 2019 for EM-1 launch; a lot of mitigation activities in progress.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/978317065839894528?s=21

Online rockets4life97

• Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #885 on: 04/13/2018 11:43 AM »
New article from Eric Berger at Arstechnica.com.

The basic argument is that with the new money for the new mobile launcher the Exploration Upper Stage may be delayed. As a result the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage may be human-rated in order to fly a modified EM-2 and possibly other missions.

The compelling thing to me about SLS is that it is significantly more powerful in its Block 1B and Block 2 versions. If those are delayed, I think it is much easier to cancel this program when a new administration (inevitably) comes into power.

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: 04/13/2018 11:47 AM by rockets4life97 »

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1230
  • Likes Given: 2371
« Reply #886 on: 04/13/2018 12:45 PM »
...Otherwise; expect EUS to be cancelled outright and Centaur V to be the new upper stage. Not saying that's what's going to happen. But if it does; you heard it here first.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2018 09:46 AM by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1842
« Reply #887 on: 04/13/2018 01:11 PM »
Do I get this right? Build the new launch platform to be able to fly EUS earlier, then delay developing EUS? Makes total sense.

Online rockets4life97

• Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #888 on: 04/13/2018 01:53 PM »
Do I get this right? Build the new launch platform to be able to fly EUS earlier, then delay developing EUS? Makes total sense.

My sense was from the quote in the article from Wayne Hale of NASA's advisory board, is that the EUS is already delayed. So, the extra money for the new launch platform helps fill the gap. Otherwise, there might be a bigger gap between EM-1 and EM-2.

Offline MarkM

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #889 on: 04/13/2018 02:22 PM »

I don't think that is the correct interpretation.  It has always been a criticism that switching to the EUS required a pause in the program in order to modify the launch platform.  The new platform will be built for the EUS from the beginning.  This will allow flights to continue with the ICPS without a pause until the EUS and the new platform is ready and at that point the old platform can be taken offline and modified or scrapped.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4105
  • Likes Given: 5619
« Reply #890 on: 04/13/2018 02:35 PM »

My sense was from the quote in the article from Wayne Hale of NASA's advisory board, is that the EUS is already delayed. So, the extra money for the new launch platform helps fill the gap. Otherwise, there might be a bigger gap between EM-1 and EM-2.

Filling the gap assumes human rating ICPS, preparation of the ECLSS for EM-2 (which wasn't supposed to be ready until 2022-2023 IIRC), and Orion software development can be moved up to earlier than EM-1 plus 30 months.  The gap doesn't close simply because of the decision to fly crew on Block 1.  Accelerating each of these items requires new funding, which I don't recall being included along with the funds for a new ML.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2203
  • Likes Given: 1555
« Reply #891 on: 04/13/2018 03:04 PM »
Rocket Science in 60 Seconds: NASA’s New Deep-Space Exploration Rocket

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center
Published on Apr 13, 2018

Rocket Science in 60 Seconds gives you an inside look at work being done at NASA to explore deep space like never before. In this episode, NASA astronaut Butch Wilmore gives you the scoop on NASA’s Space Launch System, the only rocket powerful enough to send Orion and astronauts on missions beyond the Moon. From safety to testing to the uniqueness of the SLS rocket, Butch explains why SLS is essential to human space exploration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYMuC2MDbwo?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4105
  • Likes Given: 5619
« Reply #892 on: 04/13/2018 03:29 PM »
SLS Upper Stage Changes While Software Problems Linger
Keith's note: Note that there is no mention of this substantial internal activity in Lightfoot's prepared statement at the hearing. One has to assuem that they would have rather not talked about this if at all possible. In addition to all of the excellent points raised in this article there is another looming factor that will affect this decision. Readers of NASAWatch will recall that there has been a lot of chaos at NASA MSFC in the safety group that is certifying the SLS flight software. One of the things that scared this team the most was the sad state of current software and what would have to be done to human rate SLS - with the Exploration Upper Stage (EUS) on EM-2. Sources report that the internal consensus was that the software would have to be started from a clean slate in order to human rate the SLS.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2018/04/sls-upper-stage-1.html
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5458
  • Likes Given: 1789
« Reply #893 on: 04/14/2018 03:43 PM »
New article from Eric Berger at Arstechnica.com.

The basic argument is that with the new money for the new mobile launcher the Exploration Upper Stage may be delayed. As a result the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage may be human-rated in order to fly a modified EM-2 and possibly other missions.

Emphasis mine.

And that was in fact the original plan for EM-2. To have it fly on iCPS. But that was changed a few years ago to avoid having the additional cost of man-rating two different upper stages (iCPS and EUS).

Now that EUS is delayed this original scenario is now back on the table. EM-2 will possibly fly on iCPS. And for later missions SLS will still need a bigger stage. That might not be EUS, but possibly ACES or Centaur-V. But still, those would have to be man-rated as well.

So, looks like NASA will have to cough-up the money for man-rating TWO different upper stages after all.

Offline Khadgars

• Long Beach, California
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 612
« Reply #894 on: 04/16/2018 05:12 PM »

Filling the gap assumes human rating ICPS, preparation of the ECLSS for EM-2 (which wasn't supposed to be ready until 2022-2023 IIRC), and Orion software development can be moved up to earlier than EM-1 plus 30 months.  The gap doesn't close simply because of the decision to fly crew on Block 1.  Accelerating each of these items requires new funding, which I don't recall being included along with the funds for a new ML.

Opinions should be left to the Discussion thread, not the Update thread imo.
« Last Edit: 04/18/2018 04:11 PM by Khadgars »

Online zack

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #895 on: 04/16/2018 05:15 PM »
Well this is surprising:
https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/985926582501076992
This weekend @NASA MSFC Center Director Todd May was talking to #NASA employees about new plans for the first 4 @NASA_SLS flights to be on identical rockets with @NASA_Orion but without crew. The first  launch would be in 2021. First launch with a crew would be EM-5 in 2015/2016.

I am assuming he meant to write 2025/2026. Not sure what to think about that.

Edit: Updated tweet links:
https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/985933894028578819
https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/985941528190255105
« Last Edit: 04/16/2018 06:11 PM by zack »

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 464
  • Likes Given: 432
« Reply #896 on: 04/16/2018 09:21 PM »
A response from PAO and Todd May.

https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/985967329799495682

Per our earlier tweet about @NASA_SLS changes, @NASA PAO says "Todd May says this is not what’s being discussed for the first flights of SLS. He says he never said no crew on these flights."   That said @NASAWatch stands by its earlier tweet.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 787
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #897 on: 05/22/2018 09:46 PM »
Chilling Out During Liquid Oxygen Tank Test
‎22 ‎May ‎2018, Linda Herridge

Exploration Ground Systems (EGS) chilled out recently with a pressurization test of the liquid oxygen (LO2) tank at Launch Pad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida – Pad 39B, recently upgraded by the EGS team for the agency’s new Space Launch System rocket.

The six-hour test of the giant sphere checked for leaks in the cryogenic pipes leading from the tank to the block valves, the liquid oxygen sensing cabinet, and new vaporizers recently installed on the tank.

The SLS will use both liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. During tanking, some of the liquid oxygen, stored at minus 297 degrees Fahrenheit, boils off and vapor or mist is visible. While the tank can hold up to 900,000 gallons of liquid oxygen; during the test it only contained 590,000 gallons of the super-cooled propellant.

The test was monitored by engineers and technicians inside Firing Room 1 at the Launch Control Center, a heritage KSC facility also upgraded by the EGS team in preparation for the upcoming mission. Results of the test confirmed that the fill rise rate was acceptable, the tank pressurization sequence works and that only one of the two vaporizers was needed to accomplish pressurization.

Another system is “go” for the first integrated launch of SLS and the Orion spacecraft!

Photo Caption:  A pressurization test of the liquid oxygen tank at Launch Pad 39B was completed. Photo credit: NASA/Derrick Matthews

https://blogs.nasa.gov/groundsystems/2018/05/22/chilling-out-during-liquid-oxygen-tank-test/

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 787
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #898 on: 05/31/2018 04:28 PM »
Launch abort vehicle visualisation
May 31, 2018 - julien

NASA’s Advanced Supercomputing research scientists, at the agency’s Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley, are producing highly detailed simulations and visualisations to help keep astronauts safe during liftoff of NASA’s Orion spacecraft, which will send humans to the Moon and potential future destinations, and return them safely back to Earth.

The advanced simulation techniques are being used to predict vibrations on the Orion spacecraft’s Launch Abort Vehicle that consists of the Orion launch abort system and crew module. The vehicle is designed to pull the crew away from peril if an emergency occurs on the launch pad or during the first two minutes of flight.

The video shows an ascent abort scenario that is triggered as the vehicle is travelling at close to the speed of sound. The video starts at abort initiation with motor ignition.

The video slows down when the pressure and air flow conditions are particularly harsh. Coloured plumes indicate high pressure (red) and low pressure (blue). Each pixel changing from blue to red (and vice versa) over time is related to pressure waves that cause vibrations on the vehicle (white). Regions where the color changes abruptly in space, but stays constant in time, indicate the presence of shock waves.

These simulations of Orion’s pad abort and ascent abort scenarios, run on the Pleiades supercomputer, are directly impacting the spacecraft’s design to increase astronaut safety and reduce uncertainty while keeping cost and launch abort vehicle weight down.

The European Service Module can also kick into action in the event of a launch abort. Orion sits underneath the Launch Abort System that propels the crew capsule up and away from danger if needed during the initial phases of launch, returning it to the ground by parachute. At higher altitudes the Launch Abort System is jettisoned and if problems arise then the service module takes over and takes Orion from its launcher and steers it towards a safe return to Earth.

For more technical information about the Orion launch abort simulations, visit:

https://www.nas.nasa.gov/publications/articles/feature_Orion_acoustics_Cadieux.html

http://blogs.esa.int/orion/2018/05/31/launch-abort-vehicle-visualisation/

Graphic caption: Launch Configuration - Credit: NASA

Online ncb1397

• Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #899 on: 06/21/2018 02:31 PM »
1.)Primed hydrogen tank(no thermal insulation):

2.)Intertank STA settling into test stand:

3.)A1 test stand shut down for upgrades. Next engine test scheduled to have a new build combustion chamber(August).

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/sls_monthly_highlights_may_2018_web.pdf
« Last Edit: 06/21/2018 02:42 PM by ncb1397 »

Tags: