Author Topic: Old History Channel documentary - The Engines That Came In From The Cold  (Read 9895 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

On the very day the NK-15/33 curse was finally broken, I found this old documentary about the tale of this amazing engine from its origin within Korolev's lunar landing plans to the escape in the warehouse to ending up in American hands. Also included is the very first American launch using Russian engines, the first Atlas III and RD-180 flown in May 2000 (during a time such ideas were still almost unbelievable!).

Definitely a must-watch if you are not familiar with the stories of these engines!

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2213
  • Likes Given: 3845
THANK YOU!! I used to have it on a VHS tape but mislaid it years ago.

EDIT: I can't say too much, but there is a higher quality version of this available as a Torrent on a well-known torrent site. I don't normally advocate such things, but when its the only way to get it... ;)
« Last Edit: 04/22/2013 10:20 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline jnc

• Yorktown, Virginia
    • Home page
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
I found this old documentary about the tale of this amazing engine from its origin within Korolev's lunar landing plans to the escape in the warehouse to ending up in American hands. Also included is the very first American launch using Russian engines, the first Atlas III and RD-180 flown in May 2000 (during a time such ideas were still almost unbelievable!).

I have this bit set that I saw this on PBS' "Nova" many years ago (and it was excellent), but an online search didn't find mention of it on the PBS site? Can anyone confirm that I'm not delusional? :-)

Noel
"America Needs - Space to Grow"

(old bumper sticker)

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 973
  • Likes Given: 659
Definitely a must-watch if you are not familiar with the stories of these engines!

Great find, many thanks (and for the torrent tip too...) !

Surprised how fast RD-180 nozzles do TVC at 41:35  :o
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline mtakala24

It seems it was originally made by British Channel 4's Equinox -program series. PBS might well have bought it.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
don't think this film will get lost again.....several versions are up on utube.  ;)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Bump for the worst reason possible.......  :-X

Here's a new link:

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1252
  • Likes Given: 4213
I have always enjoyed this video.

It's amazing how the RD-180 derivative operates at 3,870 psi of chamber pressure while the RS-25 operates at 2,900 psi with the NK-33 at 2100psi.

Fascinating how the  Nikolai Kuznetsov of  OKB-276 disobeyed the Kremlin and sidestepped the ordered scrapping of over 60 NK-33's, putting them into storage.
Paul

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Do a search on NSF should be many threads with this video and comments on it.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline spaceship9876

• uk
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
A higher quality version is now available to rent/buy on Amazon Prime Video: https://www.amazon.com/Engines-that-Came-Cold/dp/B01MYY8RHO
« Last Edit: 03/04/2019 12:30 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11767
  • Likes Given: 10986
Thanks for sharing that info and welcome to the forum!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography