Author Topic: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics torch relay flying to ISS and beyond!  (Read 16232 times)

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Finally this secret plan is now out of the L2 bag.....  ;)

(EDIT: ARTICLE: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/04/winter-olympics-torch-relay-iss-spacewalk/)

The original plan seems to be flying the relay torch into orbit in August and then schedule an EVA later on, with Pavel Vinogradov as the carrier: http://www.federalspace.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=19956

Now the plan (http://www.yuga.ru/news/292802/) is to bring forward the Expedition 38/9 crew (Tyurin, Mastracchio, Wakata) launch from November 25 to November 7, which will allow for a 4 day direct hand-over with the Exp. 36/7 crew (Yurchikhin, Parmitano, Nyberg) for the torch to stay on the ISS. The torch relay EVA will be performed within these 4 days by the 2 Russian cosmonauts of the Exp. 37/8 crew, Oleg Kotov and Sergei Ryazansky.

Well the fire can't burn in space, so the fire will be "simulated" in some way.... (laser beams?)

This, of course, is a great way to show that the Olympic spirit is with the astronauts and cosmonauts, although I would suggest that a US city (Chicago?) should bid for the 2020/4 Olympics ASAP for something similar to happen on the US side.  ;D

(or was it done already? It seems that the Shuttle (not sure which flight) was used as a laser reflector to send the fire from Greece to the US back on the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics torch relay....)

So November's schedule on ISS is as follows:

November 4 - undocking of ATV-4 from Zvezda SM
November 7 - launch and docking of the "Soyuz TMA-11M" to Zvezda SM (delivers the torch)
During the crew hand over - Russian spacewalk EVA 36 (torch relay in space)
November 11 - undocking from MRM-1 Rassvet and landing of Soyuz TMA-09M (return the torch to Earth)
November 18 - re-location of Soyuz TMA-11M from Zvezda SM to MRM-1 Rassvet
November 21 - Launch of Progress M-21M
November 23 - docking of Progress M-21M to Zvezda SM
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 10:27 pm by Chris Bergin »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
What else will the spacewalk accomplish bar looking bloody cool with the torch? Be very expensive just to do it for the torch. :D
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 11:04 am by Mapperuo »
- Aaron

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
What else will the spacewalk accomplish bar looking bloody cool with the torch?

As per old plan, the installation of high-resolution camera UrtheCast on universal workplace URM-D on Zvezda module.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
As per old plan, the installation of high-resolution camera UrtheCast on universal workplace URM-D on Zvezda module.
...which would be able to really show in Full HD just how cool that stunt is! ;D
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 04:51 pm by asmi »

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
Article on this:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/04/winter-olympics-torch-relay-iss-spacewalk/
Thanks Chris, that's a good one, as usual. I think the ISS would never hurt some additional public attention, even if it's a purely PR.

Offline Chris Bergin

Article on this:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/04/winter-olympics-torch-relay-iss-spacewalk/
Thanks Chris, that's a good one, as usual. I think the ISS would never hurt some additional public attention, even if it's a purely PR.

Thanks! And I agree. It's getting a lot of twitter activity.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
Thanks! And I agree. It's getting a lot of twitter activity.
Lol - I just thought of something - whoever is hosting next Olympics would better start negotiations with RSA about the same thing for the next games! :)
It looks like the Russians are bending ISS schedule in whatever way suits their needs. I wonder if they made any consultations with other agencies - not that they would protest or anything, but still...

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
A little more space/Olympic trivia. While aboard the Salyut 6 space station cosmonauts Leonid Popov and Valery Ryumin were part of the opening ceremonies of the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks to you and thanks to a member....I've added a few more associations I didn't see when researching....

"The previous associations between the space program and the Olympic torch were seen during STS-101, when a replica of the Olympic torch was carried aboard Space Shuttle Atlantis.  The torch relay also passed through the Kennedy Space Center, en-route to the Atlanta Games, ahead of STS-79's mission to MIR."
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 03:36 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline 360-180

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
This treat is about the Olympic flame and the cosmos.
Olympic flame passed through a radio signal from Athens to Ottawa in 1976.
Tell me please, what is called the communication satellite was used for this purpose?

Offline SalemHanna

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks to you and thanks to a member....I've added a few more associations I didn't see when researching....

"The previous associations between the space program and the Olympic torch were seen during STS-101, when a replica of the Olympic torch was carried aboard Space Shuttle Atlantis.  The torch relay also passed through the Kennedy Space Center, en-route to the Atlanta Games, ahead of STS-79's mission to MIR."

There was a more recent one - two ISS crew members, one American and one Russian, spoke on camera during the Athens 2004 opening ceremony. I always assumed it was a live broadcast, but in retrospect it could have been a recorded message. It ended with them telling the athletes that the crew would be watching their Games from the station, then the two crew members raced each other away from the camera!

Trying to find it on YouTube now with no success, but the footage may exist on a different video site.
Apollo, Soyuz, Shuttle...SKYLON.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8524
  • Likes Given: 318
« Last Edit: 06/24/2013 06:58 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135
Official video from Roskosmos  :) :

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
Was intriguing to see during the Opening Ceremony they used SD wireless headcam footage rather than any of the HD Go Pro video?
- Aaron

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography