Author Topic: Copenhagen Suborbitals build a rocket turbopump  (Read 21957 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 4565
  • Likes Given: 590
Re: Copenhagen Suborbitals build a rocket turbopump
« Reply #20 on: 05/29/2013 09:57 AM »
It's 80% H2O2. LOX is just as "dangerous".

HTP as used by the British at Woomera is 85% H2O2. Copenhagen Suborbitals are using 90% H2O2.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2013 05:56 AM by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3367
  • Likes Given: 782
« Reply #21 on: 05/29/2013 10:07 AM »
FFS, it's 80% H2O2. LOX is just as "dangerous".

HTP as used by the British at Woomera is 85% H2O2. Copenhagen Suborbitals are using 90% H2O2.

They said 80% in their most recent video.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkCCKPS1yY#t=7m06s
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #22 on: 05/29/2013 02:22 PM »
FFS, it's 80% H2O2. LOX is just as "dangerous".

I would add the history of the "British at Woomera" project was a whole different project.  Like everything those many years ago it was a learning experience.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #23 on: 05/29/2013 03:37 PM »
Thanks a lot Steve Pietrobon for having linked David Andrews paper. I sought it for a very long time !
... that ackward moment when you realize that Jeff Bezos personal fortune is far above NASA annual budget... 115 billion to 18 billion...

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 948
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #24 on: 05/30/2013 06:59 PM »
No, it doesn't, because in this case HTP was being used in an unsafe manner. Handling LOX or any other oxidiser in such a manner is just as unsafe.

Slightly disagreeing with the "just as" part. Unsafe, yes, but different oxidizers are unsafe in different manners. LOX spills can create wildly combustible or even detonable mixtures, but usually they won't autoignite. I'd consider HTP more dangerous in this fashion because spills over unclean surfaces, cloth etc. cause decomposing, heating up and ignition.

IMO Mr Andrews nails it in the first sentence you quoted. HTP appears safe, just like water, no cryogenics nor nasal cavity melting fumes. Armadillo Aerospace had videos online showing what happens to shoes etc when you spill HTP on them. Not instant explosion but within seconds things start to smoke and then light up. I guess it's still there somewhere in the project update pages.

Madsen seemed to have good protective gear while loading HTP to the TP test thingie ... but the flimsy household ladder looked risky. Stack those concrete lego bricks for a stable platform, or better yet, lower the tank to ground level.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3367
  • Likes Given: 782
« Reply #25 on: 05/30/2013 09:46 PM »
Madsen seemed to have good protective gear while loading HTP to the TP test thingie ... but the flimsy household ladder looked risky. Stack those concrete lego bricks for a stable platform, or better yet, lower the tank to ground level.

They won't be doing it like that again.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 221
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #26 on: 05/30/2013 10:52 PM »
As well HTP being used as an oxidiser for Black Knight and Black Arrow, the Royal Navy used it to propel torpedoes. But they abandoned it after losing a submarine (shades of the Kursk) after an on board explosion.

http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/3473.html

As others have said, it requires careful handling to avoid coming in contact with impurities.
Douglas Clark

Tags: