Author Topic: "The Challenger Disaster" airing November 16th at 9PM  (Read 27012 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3187
  • Likes Given: 192
New BBC Two factual drama starring award winning actor William Hurt (Altered States, History Of Violence, Into The Wild), about American physicist Richard Feynman’s determination to reveal the truth behind the 1986 Challenger space shuttle disaster.

Confirmed for BBC Two on 18 March at 9.00pm to 10.30pm

When Challenger exploded 73 seconds into its flight on the morning of 28 January 1986, it represented one of the most shocking events in the history of American spaceflight. A Presidential Commission was immediately convened to explore what had gone wrong, but with the vast complexity of the space shuttle and so many vested interests involved in the investigation, discovering the truth was an almost impossible challenge.

A truly independent member of the investigation was Richard Feynman. One of the most accomplished scientists of his generation, he had worked on the Manhattan Project to build the first atom bomb and won a Nobel Prize for his breakthroughs in quantum physics. Feynman deployed exceptional integrity, charm and relentless scientific logic to investigate the secrets of the shuttle disaster and in doing so, helped make the US space programme safer.

The Challenger is co-produced by BBC, The Open University and Science Channel. It was commissioned by Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC Two, and Kim Shillinglaw, Commissioning Editor for Science and Natural History.

Other cast includes Bruce Greenwood, Brian Dennehy, Kevin McNally, Joanne Whalley, Eve Best and Henry Goodman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2013/12/the-challenger.html
« Last Edit: 03/19/2013 04:54 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
Re: "The Challenger Disaster" airing November 16th at 9PM
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2013 08:16 AM »
It’s Official: BBC Two Orders 90 Minute Challenger Disaster TV Movie

October 23rd, 2012

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/10/its-official-bbc-two-orders-90-minute-challenger-disaster-tv-movie/

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2013 08:17 AM »
William Hurt to Star in Science Channel/BBC Challenger Docu-Drama (Exclusive)

He'll play scientist Richard Feynman in the factual telepic about the fight for truth in the space shuttle Challenger investigation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/william-hurt-science-channel-challenger-374576

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2013 08:18 AM »
Drama About Space Shuttle Challenger Tragedy Coming From BBC and Science Channel

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/drama-space-shuttle-challenger-tragedy-381924

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 770
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: 03/18/2013 04:47 PM »
Just a reminder to UK viewers that this documentary factual drama is showing this evening.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2013 11:04 AM by AnalogMan »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • SpaceShip Earth
  • Liked: 3419
  • Likes Given: 117

Offline SalemHanna

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 03/19/2013 02:18 PM »
Hi,

Did anyone see The Challenger, starring William Hurt, Bruce Greenwood and Brian Dennehy on BBC TV last night? If not, it's available on BBC iPlayer for British webusers who want to catch up. Very good drama, though I'm not sure how much of it is 100% accurate in terms of the relationships between the members of the Rogers Commission. I've learned to take 'true stories' with a pince of salt, knowing how often they need to condense character interactions into a limited running time.

Space experts will no doubt notice a few glaring continuity errors (the orbiter in the first shot is clearly Columbia and the NASA logos are all meatball rather than worm) but none of that should take away from the performances of the main actors, who are very good.

For more about the cast and crew, visit http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt2421662/?ref_=sr_2
Apollo, Soyuz, Shuttle...SKYLON.

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zstkn

I'll give this a watch later. Hope it's not terrible! Salem doesn't think so, thus I'm hopeful it strikes the right tone!
« Last Edit: 03/19/2013 03:04 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

Watched the first 30 minutes and this is really superb.

Offline bobthemonkey

It was really well done, IMO.

One of the two main sources was Feynman's own writings, and his children were attributed as consultants, so at least the estate had some say in it.

Offline spaceboy89

• Guildford, UK
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 03/19/2013 09:24 PM »
It was well worth the watch.

Space experts will no doubt notice a few glaring continuity errors

The most glaring for me was the "simulator" at Marshall that looked very similar to an orbiter in the middle of a T&R flow, complete with PLBD strongbacks... ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

Wow. Watched it all the way through. That was really superb.

Very strong cast, really well written.

Offline SalemHanna

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: 03/19/2013 11:14 PM »
Wow. Watched it all the way through. That was really superb.

Very strong cast, really well written.

Glad you liked it! I'm impressed that they got such a great Hollywood cast for what is basically a British TV movie. The subject matter must have appealed in a big way.

Apollo, Soyuz, Shuttle...SKYLON.

Offline Chris Bergin

I didn't know Prof. Feynman's wife (in the film and represented correctly with the accent) was from Ripponden, Yorkshire! That's just down the road from where I am!
« Last Edit: 03/20/2013 12:37 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: 03/20/2013 02:44 AM »
Here in the States, many CATV providers (mine included) have BBC America as one of the channels.  They air all types of programming on this channel, but I have to admit, I rarely see anything of personal interest to me.  Perhaps they may air the program on this channel, but I'm not aware of how to access what one might expect to be a programming guide.  Anyone know anything in this regard?

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #15 on: 03/20/2013 02:50 AM »
Found their web site, but a search for "Challenger" resulted in nothing but crickets (the metaphor, not the sport).

http://www.bbcamerica.com/?s=Challenger&searchsubmit=Search

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: 03/20/2013 05:20 AM »
Perhaps they may air the program on this channel, but I'm not aware of how to access what one might expect to be a programming guide.  Anyone know anything in this regard?

This program was a joint production of the BBC and the Science Channel. It will air in the states, re-titled "73 Seconds: The Challenger Investigation," on the Science Channel in fourth quarter of this year.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2013 05:20 AM by collectSPACE »

Offline Covspaceman

• Rochdale, UK
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: 03/20/2013 09:21 AM »
Obviously I can't vouch for the factual accuracy but as a piece of drama it was excellent. Many thanks to Jacqmans for the tip-off.
One question though. Is there really somewhere where you can stand that close to an engine under test?

Andrew.

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #18 on: 03/20/2013 07:30 PM »
Just watched it on Iplayer. Amazing work. Marshall don't come out of it looking all that great!

Offline Terry Rocket

• Veteran
  • Birmingham, England
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: 03/20/2013 08:11 PM »
Thanks for the thread. Watched it too. Thought it was very good!

Tags: