Poll

Which launch vehicle do you currently support as the best option for NASA's "VSE"

Ares I
Ares V HR (Human Rated)
EELV (Human Rated)
Jupiter/Direct
Other

Author Topic: Save the Voyagers?  (Read 6003 times)

Offline gyro2020

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Save the Voyagers?
« on: 04/13/2005 01:51 AM »
Should NASA spend some more money (doubt it'd be masses) on keeping both Voyagers alive?

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: Save the Voyagers?
« Reply #1 on: 04/13/2005 02:07 AM »
Without a doubt. They need supporting as they are still capable within the boundaries of their abilities.

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 04/13/2005 02:08 AM »
Another yes here.

Offline gyro2020

« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2005 03:59 AM »
Seemed a bit too obvious when I set this up. Any more news on them maybe kept on going for a more years than the planned end of their lives?

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 08/05/2005 03:25 AM »
Bump

Offline barbee

« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2005 01:46 AM »
Now that they have proven there is a 10th planet.... aren't the voyagers inaccurate (at best) misleading (at worst)?  :o

I mean, seriously, wasn't part of their deep space mission to communicate to whomever found them something about the race that created them?

Maybe if we can get them back, correct the artwork depicting our solar system (their system of origin) THEN they can continue their deep space voyage.

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2005 07:11 AM »
Its not a planet. Nor is Pluto, when you sit down and think about it.

Offline starhunter

« Reply #7 on: 08/14/2005 10:49 PM »
There's really nothing to save. They're out at ~ 90 AUs headed for the Terminal Shock....or am I wrong? Can we save them?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 08/15/2005 06:33 PM »
I think what some of the argument is over funding, relevant to seeing what data can be procesed during whatever their final days may be. Apparently the funding being removed will mean no one will be listening.

Personally, I'd hand it over to the public who are able and willing to take over.

Offline rhwinger

• Searching for a place in space
« Reply #9 on: 08/16/2005 04:01 PM »

Can the public take over?  I mean, can public organizations (do you mean commercial, for profit corporations) use the radio telescopes required to communicate with Voyager(s)?

I'm all for funding something.  If memory serves me correctly, the Van Allen radiation belts were a complely accidental discovery.  What else might we miss if we turn off the instruments?

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: 08/16/2005 04:09 PM »
rhwinger - 16/8/2005  11:01 AM

Can the public take over?  I mean, can public organizations (do you mean commercial, for profit corporations) use the radio telescopes required to communicate with Voyager(s)?

I'm all for funding something.  If memory serves me correctly, the Van Allen radiation belts were a complely accidental discovery.  What else might we miss if we turn off the instruments?

We'd have to turn over some facility elements to them, I'd think maybe former Voyager staff as I don't know if it would be allowable to hand over to the public.

Offline Space101

• Leeds, England
« Reply #11 on: 09/09/2005 03:15 AM »
I think the lack of response on here on what is a busy forum now says a lot about the Voyagers in the minds of people. I don't know if that is understandable or a shame.
Let's go and explore space.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #12 on: 09/09/2005 04:18 AM »
Space101 - 8/9/2005  11:15 PM

I think the lack of response on here on what is a busy forum now says a lot about the Voyagers in the minds of people. I don't know if that is understandable or a shame.

Its not top of mind, but ask if the program should be suht down...no. it would be crazy, this is not only $$$ but the decades it takes to travel beyond..

Tags: