Author Topic: New sci-fi film The Europa Report  (Read 35112 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1767
  • Likes Given: 183
New sci-fi film The Europa Report
« on: 12/09/2012 08:16 PM »
Anyone heard anything much about this?

First trailer on the link below.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23429/the-europa-report-first-trailer

Kind of reminds me a bit of first trailer for Apollo 18 with this rather mysterious look to it.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2012 08:18 PM by Star One »

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 133
Re: New sci-fi film The Europa Report
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2012 11:56 PM »
From the movieweb.com report

Europa is a science fiction adventure that follows a contemporary manned mission to Europa – the fourth moon of Jupiter - the place thought by scientists to hold the greatest probability for alien life in our solar system. When unmanned probes suggest that a hidden ocean exists underneath the icy surface of the moon and could contain single-celled life, an international crew of six embark on a privately funded mission to the edges of our solar system to confirm the data and explore the truly revolutionary scientific discoveries that lie in the Europan ocean.The long and ambitious journey tests the psychological and physical limits of the crew as they travel further into the depths of space.

By incorporating real world scientific research, ship design and mission planning, the film presents an authentic vision of what the next step in human exploration will look and feel like, putting the audience inside the ship with our international crew. Through the perspective of the astronauts, the audience will experience space as it truly is and marvel at the beauty, the vastness and the unknown.

This actually sounds quite intriguing -- perhaps a modern-day 2001?

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 293
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2012 12:15 AM »
The trailer looks good.  I just hope it's good science and good engineering mixed in with a good story.  I just can't stand it when you have the first two and it then devolves into a horror story set in space.

Offline kch

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 8815
« Reply #3 on: 12/10/2012 12:37 AM »
From the movieweb.com report

Europa is a science fiction adventure that follows a contemporary manned mission to Europa – the fourth moon of Jupiter - the place thought by scientists to hold the greatest probability for alien life in our solar system. When unmanned probes suggest that a hidden ocean exists underneath the icy surface of the moon and could contain single-celled life, an international crew of six embark on a privately funded mission to the edges of our solar system to confirm the data and explore the truly revolutionary scientific discoveries that lie in the Europan ocean.The long and ambitious journey tests the psychological and physical limits of the crew as they travel further into the depths of space.

By incorporating real world scientific research, ship design and mission planning, the film presents an authentic vision of what the next step in human exploration will look and feel like, putting the audience inside the ship with our international crew. Through the perspective of the astronauts, the audience will experience space as it truly is and marvel at the beauty, the vastness and the unknown.

This actually sounds quite intriguing -- perhaps a modern-day 2001?

Or perhaps the Tsien mission from 2010:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/2012 12:18 PM »
I've got to say that I'm not sure.  It looks like it has the same overall concept of Apollo 18 - human astronauts being killed off one-by-one by nasty space monsters far from home.

I'll wait until the reviews start coming out here in the UK before I make a final decision.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #5 on: 12/10/2012 05:44 PM »
I've got to say that I'm not sure.  It looks like it has the same overall concept of Apollo 18 - human astronauts being killed off one-by-one by nasty space monsters far from home.

I'll wait until the reviews start coming out here in the UK before I make a final decision.

I agree, I might be unfairly prejudging it but that's the vibe I get off it as well.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #6 on: 12/10/2012 05:48 PM »
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.

-Arthur C. Clarke
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Mongo62

« Reply #7 on: 12/10/2012 10:31 PM »

I really hope that this is not the case.  The world does not need yet another "alien monsters attack humans in space" movie.  I don't mind if the crew in this movie discovers advanced multicellular life in Europa's oceans, but please make it a realistic depiction of what could really happen in this sort of first-contact situation.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2012 10:32 PM by Mongo62 »

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #8 on: 12/13/2012 03:26 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I really really hope this isn't just "Apollo 18 on Europa"... We need some good hard sci-fi films being made.

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 551
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #9 on: 12/13/2012 07:44 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I really really hope this isn't just "Apollo 18 on Europa"... We need some good hard sci-fi films being made.

Yeah (not that I wouldnt watch it anyway)

The good news IMO is that these hard SF stories could be produced really cheaply now by indie movie makers: Space environments and vehicles are way easier to render than armies of orcs, and the live sets can be small and cramped. You could probably film the whole thing on a GoPro in a set in your basement.

In fact come to think of it, I have a basement.. I have $500... :)

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #10 on: 12/13/2012 09:04 AM »
The movie makers have set up this website:
http://www.europaventuresllc.com/

It's a website by the fictional private company in the movie, Europa Ventures LLC, and shows "live" footage from the Europa 1 spacecraft on its way to Europa.

They also have a twitter account: https://twitter.com/EuropaVentures
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Online Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 837
« Reply #11 on: 12/14/2012 08:42 PM »
Thanks for the link! I was not aware of this until now!
This could be really cool like 2001 and 2010 or really crap (like Apollo 18).
There is hope for the former, but experience tells me that it will most likely be the latter.
I would really like to see a great "exploration and adventure" type scifi movie with a more positive tone again. So "please dont make this suck!"
« Last Edit: 12/14/2012 08:43 PM by Elmar Moelzer »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #12 on: 12/15/2012 05:46 PM »

I am not sure there is a big enough market for hard sci-fi films these days.

Offline Mongo62

« Reply #13 on: 12/15/2012 06:19 PM »

For an example, a miniseries based on Larry Niven's "Ringworld" was announced in 2004 and then shelved, presumably because the bean-counters decided that the probable audience size was not worth the expected cost to make it.

I would have LOVED to see that myself.  What's James Cameron doing after Avatar II, maybe he could revive that idea in movie form?  Hugely unlikely, of course.
« Last Edit: 12/15/2012 06:19 PM by Mongo62 »

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 551
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #14 on: 12/16/2012 08:53 AM »

For some reason, perhaps 2001, it has become a cliche to use hard-sf mainly for lonely dehumanized futures. (2001,Outland,Cargo, Gattaca, Pandorum, Moon)

I don't think Hard-SF excludes big dumb fun. For example
* replace FTL to other star systems with plausible propulsion and hundreds of inhabited small icy worlds in this system. If that isnt enough, maybe some crazy self reproducing robot ate a few asteroids and spat out a few thousand Oneil cylinders, entirely unexplored.
* replace aliens with robots and genetically or surgically altered humans and animals. Essentially any bug eyed monster you can imagine is plausible if someone designed it to be a scary guard dog in the first place. Michael Jackson was getting a bit scary for that matter.

You don't need to go that extravagant, but this is just an example that in general the big dumb tropes of sci-fi are not outlawed. At least you can have something that looks and acts the same.

Online Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 837
« Reply #15 on: 12/16/2012 01:22 PM »
I really liked 2001 and Outland. Did not like any of the other movies mentioned here (havent seen cargo).
I think that particularly in times like these, there is an audience for a positive outlook to the future, something that inspires people.

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #16 on: 02/08/2013 02:15 AM »
More info:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sci-Fi-Thriller-Europa-Report-Distributed-By-Magnet-Releasing-35576.html

Developed in close collaboration with NASA, JPL, SpaceX and other leaders in the scientific community, the film imagines the next step in manned space exploration and is based on recent scientific discoveries and theories.

Offline grondilu

• France
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #17 on: 05/07/2013 01:05 AM »

According to io9.com, it might be a very good space movie:

http://io9.com/europa-report-at-last-a-space-thriller-worth-taking-s-493192948
Space is pretty much literally an astronomically-high hanging fruit.

Offline zerda81

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
This sounds like a modern-day 2001!

Führende SEO-Agentur zur Optimierung der Suchmaschinen Werbung im Bereich Suchmaschinenoptimierung - SEO.
Die Sichtbarkeit bei Suchmaschinen wie Google & Co. zu erhöhen ist das zentrale Ziel der Suchmaschinenoptimierung SEO Optimierung von Webseiten. In Suchmaschinen unter den Top-Ergebnissen bei Suchanfragen zu stehen ist ein lohnendes und vergleichsweise kostengünstiges Marketing-Werkzeug zum Vertrieb der Produkte und Leistungen von Unternehmen.

Wer möchte nicht nicht in seinem Garten passende Gartenmöbel stehen haben?
Schöne und bequeme Gartenmöbel im Shop kaufen!
« Last Edit: 08/10/2017 02:17 PM by zerda81 »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #19 on: 05/13/2013 06:04 PM »

According to io9.com, it might be a very good space movie:

http://io9.com/europa-report-at-last-a-space-thriller-worth-taking-s-493192948

That's positive to hear. It does sound more of an 'old style' film and that is a positive thing here.

Tags: