Author Topic: The Reaction Engines Skylon Master Thread (2)  (Read 584178 times)

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1155
  • Likes Given: 7717
Re: The Reaction Engines Skylon Master Thread (2)
« Reply #1960 on: 12/27/2013 12:14 PM »
I have to say, while debate on other threads can get heated, nowhere else on NSF do I see the kind of bullying behavior I see on the Skylon thread.  Anyone expressing skepticism of anything Skylon gets harshly attacked here.  Would it really be so bad to have some healthy debate?  Would it really be so bad to hear some differing opinions?
What a charming thought.  :)

There are a couple of points about "debates."
1) "Debate" implies that people will change their views based on new facts and arguments.
2) The debates need to have valid cause for dispute. If your argument that SABRE/Skylon will not work is basically "It won't work because I say it won't" that's not a debate, that's an opinion :(

The odds on bet of such an opinion holder is they will retain their opinion till the day Skylons are sold commercially, whereupon they will go off and opine that something else won't work.  :(

I tend to refer to such people as "Doubters." They are not skeptics and logic and reason won't work is merely a waste of time.

It's a valuable lesson in all walks of life.  :(
Honestly, before I read this thread, I thought of Skylon as a long shot but worth some further research.  Every time I read this thread, the striking lack of tolerance for any skepticism tends to make me more skeptical of Skylon.  I have to keep reminding myself not to blame Skylon for the shrill tone of this thread.
Perhaps it's the striking lack of tolerance for the ignorance of the skeptic?

Yes, it's complex.

Yes, it's high risk.

Yes, a lot could go wrong.

Just like any high tech project. 
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2768
  • Likes Given: 7216
« Reply #1961 on: 12/27/2013 12:42 PM »
John, I know you stated that REL is not interested in a in-flight scaled down engine test, but would this not silence some critics as a proof of concept. Why are they so against such a test? It is common in aviation to perform such tests...

Regards
Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #1962 on: 12/27/2013 12:58 PM »
Time for a new thread given this one has started to turn into nonsense.

213,000 reads. Remember, when you post a LOT of people read your posts. Some of you act like you're having a private conversation with another member. How very wrong you are and people notice foolish posts and forever tag/dismiss that poster with such comments.

Thread locked to cool it down. New thread later.

You should all be watching the EVA anyway.

New thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33648.0
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 12:46 PM by Chris Bergin »

Tags: