Author Topic: SpaceX Causing Layoffs at Other Companies?  (Read 12497 times)

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 74
Re: SpaceX Causing Layoffs at Other Companies?
« Reply #20 on: 11/09/2012 01:17 pm »
What do any of those layoffs have to do with SpaceX, Hooper?
They have nothing to do with SpaceX. Neither do the layoffs at RocketDyne.
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Hooperball

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 11/09/2012 01:19 pm »
Thread title:

"SpaceX causing layoffs at other companies?"

Answer: No.

S

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 4439
  • Likes Given: 805
« Reply #22 on: 11/09/2012 01:46 pm »
Here's an article that caught my eye:

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/economy/2012/11/08/10998/spacex-claims-its-first-victims-rocketdyne-lays-10/

Is SpaceX really responsible for layoffs happening at the "old space" companies?

To answer this question, ask yourself if any Rocketdyne engines were actually replaced by the three sets of Falcon 9 Merlins. 

The answer, of course, is NO.  Rocketdyne does not build kerosene engines.  A few Delta II RS-27A engines remain, but those were built years ago.  Rocketdyne chose decades ago to lose its kerosene expertise when it withdrew from Atlas III, and the eventual Atlas V, competition.

These layoffs are residual effects of the end of Shuttle or of a draw down in defense spending.

The real Rocketdyne job killer is Rocketdyne, helped by Russia's Energomash.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 01:48 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 3226
« Reply #23 on: 11/09/2012 03:03 pm »
They are also done most often on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because people are statistically less likely to kill themselves.  Seriously. 

The first time I was laid off, I had a months old baby, a huge mortgage, was finishing an engineering Master's degree in the evenings, and had other obligations.  At the time, most other oil companies had hiring freezes (oil under $40, and natural gas tanked too) I didn't feel like suicide, but the layoff was unexpected and caused significant personal distress. 

I really feel for people who get laid off.  If I could impart one takeaway lesson, its to live significantly below your means financially.  No bling houses, diversify your investments, no flashy trips, and avoid credit.  Better to be a millionaire in a trailer park with an old truck and happy family, than stressed out with large obligations when you get laid off, or get sick, etc.

My 2 cents.  Even if your industry looks robust and strong, disruptive technologies, poor international financial governance, or many other factors can change things within a few short years.  Apply the cliches you've heard from great depression people.  Rainy day reserves, trees grow slowly, yada yada yada.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 04:58 pm by go4mars »
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1882
  • Likes Given: 1933
« Reply #24 on: 11/09/2012 04:07 pm »

I really feel for people who get laid off.  If I could impart one takeaway lesson, its to live significantly below your means financially.  No bling houses, diversified investments, no flashy trips, and avoid credit.  Better to be a millionaire in a trailer park with an old truck and happy family, than stressed out with large obligations when you get laid off, or get sick, etc.

How un-American. Sorry, could not resist. But of course you are right.

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 568
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #25 on: 11/09/2012 04:20 pm »

I really feel for people who get laid off.  If I could impart one takeaway lesson, its to live significantly below your means financially.  No bling houses, diversified investments, no flashy trips, and avoid credit.  Better to be a millionaire in a trailer park with an old truck and happy family, than stressed out with large obligations when you get laid off, or get sick, etc.

Well said!!  Historically, recessions do serve an overall purpose.  They remind people that everything won't always be the land of milk and honey, and they need to be fiscally responsible even when times are good, because sooner or later, they'll get bad for awhile.  The problem with -this- recession is politicians for a decade or two were so intent not to have a small recession occur under their watch (both Democrat and Republican) , that they rigged things to push the can a little farther down the road.  All of that finally came crashing down in late 2008, and instead of a small, corrective recession that wasn't overly painful, we had a huge painful one.  Hopefully people will remember this when things to eventually start turning around, and not live so far beyond their means again so as to not get in so much trouble the next time things take a down turn.

Online john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 8896
« Reply #26 on: 11/09/2012 05:43 pm »
I really feel for people who get laid off.  If I could impart one takeaway lesson, its to live significantly below your means financially.  No bling houses, diversify your investments, no flashy trips, and avoid credit.  Better to be a millionaire in a trailer park with an old truck and happy family, than stressed out with large obligations when you get laid off, or get sick, etc.
But aren't bling houses and flashy business trips an American tradition (like cars with really low gas mileage)?  :)

Joking aside this seems pretty small beer compared to the *thousands* laid off when STS ended.

I suspect Jim's right and it's the tail end of the Delta II/STS programmes ending.

Which is not to say that there won't be hardship for those involved. Hopefully they will all find new posts in other companies.

On a wider scale if the USG requires something *so* unique they will hire people to provide it to them and they are prevented from supplying to other markets how responsible is the government for those people? And what happens when the USG no longer has a need for this item? It is *literally* a job for life not because they are "too big to fail" but "too vital to the national interest" to fail?

BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline cian

• Ireland
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: 11/09/2012 09:01 pm »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know roughly how many of the SpaceX employees used to work on the STS program?  Or are there that many at all?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11391
  • Likes Given: 336
« Reply #28 on: 11/09/2012 09:11 pm »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know roughly how many of the SpaceX employees used to work on the STS program?  Or are there that many at all?

We know one on the forum.  But many came from Boeing, LM, ULA at the launch site before the shuttle layoffs.

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #29 on: 11/10/2012 12:18 am »
I know of at least six, myself included, at the Cape site. Those are just ones that I've known personally from Shuttle. Most of those moved over before the big layoff though. I'm sure there's more that I don't recognize and I know of one or two that were hired in Texas.
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #30 on: 11/10/2012 05:07 am »
SpaceX is providing jobs to Americans.

They have to, only citizens are allowed to see the rocket factories.

Any revenue they absorb from competitors is sure to be of long term benefit to the whole market because at this point SpaceX seems very keen to make investments in new space technologies. Especially those technologies which reduce cost.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 695
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #31 on: 11/11/2012 04:28 pm »
Here's an article contrasting the differences in how SpaceX and the more established industry players work:

http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2012/11/how_has_space_x_shak.php

Tags: