Author Topic: ESA - Phootprint (Phobos sample return)  (Read 5625 times)

Online Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 119
ESA - Phootprint (Phobos sample return)
« on: 11/06/2012 03:43 PM »
ESA is preparing post-Exomars missions through the Mars Robotic Exploration Programme (MREP), designed as technology precursors to Mars Sample Return.  Missions selected under the programme are set for a decision on Phase A start at the very busy C-Min 2012 this month, with "Go-No Go" at C-Min 2015.  The plan is to have a mission at every launch opportunity in the early 2020s.

The missions selected for the first two launches in 2022 and 2024 are;
Inspire, a Mars network science mission
Phootprint, Phobos sample return.

though flight order isn't established yet.  Attached is a slide the Phootprint mission.

The MREP technological theme on this mission would appear centred on Earth re-entry and sample capture/processing in prep for MSR.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2012 03:55 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2568
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ESA - Phootprint (Phobos sample return)
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/2012 07:06 PM »
Now that's a too-clever name.

I've thought about writing an article concerning proposed Phobos/Deimos missions. There have been a bunch of them over the years.

The problem, as I see it, is that at least among US scientists, the Martian moons are not considered interesting enough for dedicated missions.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 740
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2012 10:23 AM »
The problem, as I see it, is that at least among US scientists, the Martian moons are not considered interesting enough for dedicated missions.

I would have thought that the proposed HMO/Phobos mission in the 2030s would have altered that, at least at a policy level.

Still, it's good to see that ESA is maintaining the momentum of robotic exploration.  This is an ambitious mission that will add to our knowledge of both the Martian system and, possibly, the inner end of the main asteroid belt (if that theory about Phobos's origin is borne out).
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline truth is life

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2012 02:32 PM »
I would have thought that the proposed HMO/Phobos mission in the 2030s would have altered that, at least at a policy level.

If anything, given the historic antipathy between "science" and "HSF" (caricaturing here), there would make things worse, since the scientists would be concerned about focus drifting to human precursor steps, compromising scientific value in the process.

A Phobos sample return does offer opportunities for risk reduction to Mars sample return (the cited benefits in the post, plus the possibility of practicing MOR), and for asteroid sample return (low-g sample collection and storage, low-g landers and maneuvering), which seems to me to make it a very good precursor mission discounting any possible HSF interest. I guess that's too engineering focused, though...

Online Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #4 on: 11/15/2012 09:46 PM »

Now you say it I've just thought, does NASA actually do any missions beyond earth orbit that are primarily technology/capability driven? Can't say I can think of any off the top of my head.  It seems something ESA is far happier to do.

Rather unsurprisingly there are signs this could end up being part of a wider ESA-Roscosmos tie up in solar system exploration.  Attached is a slide from a new IKI presentation about Exomars confirming they're looking into it. Wouldn't surprise me if Russia got involved in Inspire too as they were also studying a similar mission under MarsNet. This has clearly all been meticulously planned for a long time.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2012 09:50 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: 05/16/2015 05:42 AM »
Russian space agency Roskosmos published a Terms of Reference for Fobos-Grunt II SRM (aka Boomerang/Expedition-M) in mid-May as a part of Tender documentation.

Amazingly it had a LOT of similarities with European proposal and planned for a 2024 launch window opportunity. I guess it might be another joint mission (like 2016/208 ExoMars missions), and there is a chance that 2 samples from Phobos would be returned ti Earth - in 2025 by ESA probe and in 2027 - by Russian one.

During Soviet time for each mission USSR usually launched 2 spacecrafts to ensure a better chances for mission success. :) 

"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #6 on: 08/28/2015 11:03 AM »
http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Exhibitions/ESA_at_MAKS_2015

Within the framework of the ESA-Roscosmos working group on post-ExoMars cooperation, a study for a possible future Phobos Sample Return mission has been conducted jointly and preliminary discussions held.

Tags: