Author Topic: Falcon Heavy test flight speculation on the payload  (Read 104410 times)

Offline Downix

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Falcon Heavy test flight speculation on the payload
« Reply #200 on: 08/30/2012 06:58 AM »
Mission will be to GTO because that's where potential customers will be looking to go.

Payload fairing will have to be demonstrated.

Some sort of demosat will need to be built if there is nobody out there willing to put a very expensive bird on a cheap ride. I think somebody will take the risk, there's already payloads riding on Zenit and Proton which aren't exactly 100% reliable even after many years of operation.
Hell, if they want a GTO payload, I'll build one for them.

Deadly serious.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1701
  • Likes Given: 370
« Reply #201 on: 08/30/2012 07:41 AM »
And by the way, I believe SpaceX has some pretty crazy foreign-object-debris tests, including chucking a bolt into the turbopump blades.

M1c was said to be able to swallow bolts "easily", but that doesn't imply M1d will be as tolerant. It is running at much higher performance specs and the engine is not correspondingly larger/heavier, quite the opposite. Reduced parts count should overall increase reliability, but ingesting bolts - I don't know.

Offline Archer

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #202 on: 08/30/2012 08:42 AM »
N1 failed because its NK-33 engines failed because their turbopump failed (blade of the pump touched the chamber* and that resulted in a spark which leaded to explosion) because of vibration that 30 working NK-33 were producing.

So N1 failure has nothing to do with the large amount of engines. It was caused by lack of test fires.

*inner part of the pump where difference in pressure is created by rotating blades; I don't know how it is called in English (

Moon flyby would be awesome, but dummy payload is much more likely.

Save the 4 N-1 launches never used the NK-33.

They flew with NK-15 engines:

Ooops, my mistake (
Further, the engines did not fail. One failed due to a busted feed pipe causing a fire. One failed due to a bolt not being tightened properly being sucked into the turbopumps. Two failed due to issues with the control computer.
I read in "Rockets and People" that it was turbopump to blame.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering. (c) R. A. Heinlein

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7662
  • Likes Given: 5104
« Reply #203 on: 08/30/2012 12:09 PM »
And by the way, I believe SpaceX has some pretty crazy foreign-object-debris tests, including chucking a bolt into the turbopump blades.

M1c was said to be able to swallow bolts "easily", but that doesn't imply M1d will be as tolerant. It is running at much higher performance specs and the engine is not correspondingly larger/heavier, quite the opposite. Reduced parts count should overall increase reliability, but ingesting bolts - I don't know.
I actually thought it was the Merlin 1d, since SpaceX didn't make the pump for 1c. Have to check, now. :)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1442
  • Likes Given: 4499
« Reply #204 on: 08/30/2012 03:12 PM »
N1 failed because its NK-33 engines failed because their turbopump failed (blade of the pump touched the chamber* and that resulted in a spark which leaded to explosion) because of vibration that 30 working NK-33 were producing.

So N1 failure has nothing to do with the large amount of engines. It was caused by lack of test fires.

*inner part of the pump where difference in pressure is created by rotating blades; I don't know how it is called in English (

Save the 4 N-1 launches never used the NK-33.

They flew with NK-15 engines:

Ooops, my mistake (
Further, the engines did not fail. One failed due to a busted feed pipe causing a fire. One failed due to a bolt not being tightened properly being sucked into the turbopumps. Two failed due to issues with the control computer.
I read in "Rockets and People" that it was turbopump to blame.
Same source, flight 4 had an explosion on the position of the engine 14, a few seconds short of MECO. Main assumed culprit was the TNA.
BTW, next flight (N-1L7 I believe) was to have the NK-33.
Main problem with the NK-15, beside the TNA, was that it could only be used once. So they took batches of eight, tested upto six, and installed the other two only if everything went ok.
On the other hand, the NK-33 would have something like 10 uses, which would have allowed for an acceptance test of each engine, an integrated on pad test plus margin for aborted launches before lift off.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 160
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #205 on: 08/30/2012 06:32 PM »
N1 failed because its NK-15 engines failed because their turbopump failed (blade of the pump touched the chamber* and that resulted in a spark which leaded to explosion) because of vibration that 30 working NK-15 were producing.

I can see them possibly crashing the FH second stage into the moon if it has fuel and restarts left over after releasing the primary payload.
That way they can say to put something on the moon.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1517
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #206 on: 08/31/2012 10:46 PM »
N1 failed because its NK-15 engines failed because their turbopump failed (blade of the pump touched the chamber* and that resulted in a spark which leaded to explosion) because of vibration that 30 working NK-15 were producing.

I can see them possibly crashing the FH second stage into the moon if it has fuel and restarts left over after releasing the primary payload.
That way they can say to put something on the moon.

Rather untidy crashing a rocket stage on the moon. ;D

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 3057
« Reply #207 on: 09/01/2012 02:14 AM »
Lunar archiologists in the distant future will appreciate the trash.  ;)
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 588
« Reply #208 on: 09/06/2012 04:20 AM »
If they don't send a Google Moon candidate, I would place my bets on a dummy paylaod to GTO. In fact, if they have been developing a dual payload adapter, that would be the perfect moment to test it. Short of a paying customer, what's better than validating the whole process for the paying customers?

One problem I see with putting Google Lunar X-Prize payloads on the inaugural flight is that it could constrain launch windows, meaning that a minor problem could turn into a lengthy delay.  I suspect a dummy GTO payload is more likely.

Offline dbhyslop

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #209 on: 09/06/2012 04:37 AM »
Rather untidy crashing a rocket stage on the moon. ;D

Are there not already SIVB remains there?

Online Helodriver

• Liked: 5401
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #210 on: 09/06/2012 05:21 AM »
They should use the flight to test the fairing, and with the same mindset that put the first wheel of cheese in space, under that fairing should be a Tesla roadster. The first car in space and with a reignition of the second stage, the first car in solar orbit or on an escape trajectory out of the solar system. Inside the car, cameras and a telemetry system, powered by the car's lithium ion cells, which should last while a while if low powered enough or indefinitely with solar panels on the hood, roof and rear deck lid. Imagine the marketing and PR buzz.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #211 on: 09/06/2012 03:03 PM »
Ferrets. A big old box of ferrets, 50 tonnes of them. They shall be called the space ferrets and frolic in space forever, until their orbit decays a week later.

And tell me that's less speculative than 99.9% of this thread. ;)

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #212 on: 09/06/2012 03:41 PM »
I for one welcome our new space ferret overlords.

More seriously, a fairing test with one or more boilerplate payloads seems to be the logical answer.
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1103
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #213 on: 09/06/2012 03:45 PM »
Huh? Won't the MDA launch test the fairing, or is it still august and I am still on vacation?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1442
  • Likes Given: 4499
« Reply #214 on: 09/06/2012 04:08 PM »
Huh? Won't the MDA launch test the fairing, or is it still august and I am still on vacation?
I said that they might have a dual payload solution for the FH flight. Else, it will already be demonstrated by CASSIOPE, ORBCOMM, Thaicom and, may be, SES.

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 831
« Reply #215 on: 09/06/2012 04:13 PM »
They should use the flight to test the fairing, and with the same mindset that put the first wheel of cheese in space, under that fairing should be a Tesla roadster. The first car in space and with a reignition of the second stage, the first car in solar orbit or on an escape trajectory out of the solar system. Inside the car, cameras and a telemetry system, powered by the car's lithium ion cells, which should last while a while if low powered enough or indefinitely with solar panels on the hood, roof and rear deck lid. Imagine the marketing and PR buzz.

I like the Tesla in orbit idea.  Its been thought of before @:45 seconds in this video. 

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 3057
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline DaveH62

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #217 on: 09/06/2012 06:33 PM »
Ferrets. A big old box of ferrets, 50 tonnes of them. They shall be called the space ferrets and frolic in space forever, until their orbit decays a week later.

And tell me that's less speculative than 99.9% of this thread. ;)
A Tesla full of ferrets and cheese slamming into the moon.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1103
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #218 on: 09/06/2012 07:08 PM »
A Tesla full of ferrets and cheese slamming into the moon.

PETA will be all over you for smashing Billion's upon Billion's of cheese microbes into oblivion!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline rjholling

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #219 on: 09/07/2012 04:54 AM »
The choice is obvious to me ;)

Realistically though, probably a dummy payload.  They want to show potential customers they can deliver.

Tags: