Author Topic: Rokot launch with three Kosmos satellites - January 15, 2013  (Read 23756 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 573
  • Likes Given: 417
All four objects (Rodniks and Briz-KM) now cataloged

39057  1476 x 1502 km x 82.5 deg
39058   1478 x 1501 km x 82.5 deg
39059   1480 x 1503 km x 82.5
39060    1487 x 1504 km x 82.5

so launch success confirmed.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 71
01/15/2013

Rockot Places Three Russian Satellites into Orbit

On January 15, 2013 a Rockot launch vehicle using a Breeze-KM upper stage successfully launched three military communication satellites into orbit. The launch took place at Plesetsk Cosmodrome in Northern Russia. All satellites were injected precisely into their target orbit. This first launch of a Rockot in 2013 will be followed by further Russian federal launches as well as the combined launch of three Swarm satellites by Eurockot Launch Services this year.

http://www.eurockot.com/2013/01/rockot-places-three-russian-satellites-into-orbit/

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1897
  • Likes Given: 183
What the heck is all that orange smoke coming around it, doesn't look healthy?

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1253
  • Likes Given: 598
its normal around the ignition and early launch portion of the flight. It is un-ignited propellant and is a common site for hypergolic boosters.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1897
  • Likes Given: 183
its normal around the ignition and early launch portion of the flight. It is un-ignited propellant and is a common site for hypergolic boosters.

Thanks. I don't remember seeing anything quite so orange on other launchers, is it something that comes from the fact that it is converted ICBM?

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1253
  • Likes Given: 598

Thanks. I don't remember seeing anything quite so orange on other launchers, is it something that comes from the fact that it is converted ICBM?
it partly has to do with fact that Rockot still uses its silo launch tube above ground and that there is not a flame trench for deflection so it just kind of hangs around. You will see it with Proton to if you watch the flame trench cameras when ignition occurs.
Also Rockot is from UR Booster family in the UR-100 subfamily and uses the same fuel and oxidizer.

Offline orbitaldebris

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 13
39057  1476 x 1502 km x 82.5 deg
39058   1478 x 1501 km x 82.5 deg
39059   1480 x 1503 km x 82.5
39060    1487 x 1504 km x 82.5

so launch success confirmed.
In all four previous Rokot (Strela-3) launches, the Briz-KM ended up in an orbit with a lower perigee. Did the Briz fail to perform a depletion burn this time I wonder?
« Last Edit: 01/17/2013 09:07 AM by orbitaldebris »

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 461
  • Likes Given: 287
Did the Briz fail to perform a depletion burn this time I wonder?

Yes.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 94

Yes.

Mission successful completed, but nevertheless a Briz failure... No good news.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728

Yes.

Not a very good start for 2013.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita
  • Liked: 522
  • Likes Given: 338

Yes.

If the mission was successful with the three satellites placed on the correct orbits, why is this not a very good start for 2013?

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 94

Yes.

If the mission was successful with the three satellites placed on the correct orbits, why is this not a very good start for 2013?

Because the failure to reignite for deorbit shows, that there is still something wrong with the Briz stage. This will certainly lead to more delays for the return to flight of the Proton-Briz-combination.

Offline orbitaldebris

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 13
There's also the possibility of another Briz explosion. Unvented Briz-stages have a tendency to explode and this time the high perigee would mean long-lasting debris.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 110
The withdrawl is by high-pressue tanks and the four 11D458?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 465
The withdrawl is by high-pressue tanks and the four 11D458?

Let me translate this into a question about the final burn being performed not by the main engine, but by the 4 small thrusters that are fed by the high pressure tanks. IIRC, the 4 small thrusters are the same as is used on FGB and MLM, and have a good reliability record; if the perigee drop burn failed due these thrusters not firing, it will be difficult to pinpoint the problem.

Online Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 63
IIRC, the 4 small thrusters are the same as is used on FGB and MLM

Yes, you remember correctly !  ;)
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Is it really known that a perigee lowering burn would have took place? There is a chance that this launch almost reached the maximum capability of the rocket.......

Oh and this really cool video caught the huge fume of reddish hydrazine+N2O4 firing off as the rocket lifted off! http://tvzvezda.ru/news/nocomment/content/pusk_rakety-nositelya_43rokot59_kamera_1601.html
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 573
  • Likes Given: 417
Is it really known that a perigee lowering burn would have took place? There is a chance that this launch almost reached the maximum capability of the rocket.......

Oh and this really cool video caught the huge fume of reddish hydrazine+N2O4 firing off as the rocket lifted off! http://tvzvezda.ru/news/nocomment/content/pusk_rakety-nositelya_43rokot59_kamera_1601.html

All 4 previous multiple-Strela launches to this orbit did make a burn to lower perigee to 1200 km. The last one with the extra Yubilyeniy payload should have had at least the payload requirements of this one, so I don't think it's plausible to think that the mission didn't plan one.
However, if for some reason the engine was less efficient than usual it's possible depletion was achieved - which would still be bad news for Briz flights but better from the debris-time-bomb perspective, so it's important to know *why* there was no extra burn.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 465
What we don't know is whether the depletion burns are generated by the main engine to empty the main prop tanks, or the small thrusters to deplete the high pressure tanks.

Tags: