Author Topic: 121's ISS dock/undock  (Read 2842 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
121's ISS dock/undock
« on: 06/09/2006 03:05 PM »
Did anything change in the 360* picture-taking spin (prior to docking) from the last time they did it or was everyone happy with how things turned out?

The Press Kit mission objectives says that after undock, if they have enough propellant they will do a flyaround for picture taking, but in the ISS section it says they will not do one to give more time to inspections. Which one is right?

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 508
  • Likes Given: 21
Re: 121's ISS dock/undock
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2006 03:16 PM »
They'll only do a a quarter of a flyaround due to the late TPS inspections with the OBSS.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: 121's ISS dock/undock
« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2006 11:50 PM »
rdale - 9/6/2006  9:52 AM

Did anything change in the 360* picture-taking spin (prior to docking) from the last time they did it or was everyone happy with how things turned out?

The Press Kit mission objectives says that after undock, if they have enough propellant they will do a flyaround for picture taking, but in the ISS section it says they will not do one to give more time to inspections. Which one is right?

OOPS!  My bad!  Hopefully Chris will delete my previous post.  I know what I meant to say but somehow in my attempt to point out a typo I made a few of my own.  In my defense, it was late and I had just spent the whole day in a simulator with some instructors trying their best to simulate the untimely demise of our entire crew.

This is what I meant to say:

Although it looks like there is a typo (“no” instead of “not”) the Press Kit (page 21) is correct. The Flight Plan for 121 has deleted the 360 degree fly around maneuver after undocking. This was done because of time constraints in the Flight Plan imposed by the need for late TPS inspections on Flight Day 11. The new plan is for Discovery to fly a 90 degree (from the +V bar to the -R bar) arc at a range of about 400 feet from the ISS before separating to about a range of 40 miles. It will station keep at that range until the “entry critical decision is made” (i.e. “go for entry”) based on late inspections for MMOD (micro meteoroid/orbital debris) strikes.

For Docking the crew will perform the same kind of RPM (R-Bar pitch maneuver) at a range of 600 feet below Node 1 of the ISS. Lindsey will manually fly the approach to 600 feet and then configure the DAP (digital auto pilot) for the RPM. On a go from MCC (mission control center) the crew will press the “EXECUTE” key on the GPC (general purpose computer) keyboard and the orbiter will pitch up nose to tail at about .75 degrees per second so the ISS crew can take photos of the orbiter thermal protection system tiles and RCC.

After the RPM Lindsey will resume a manual approach to the ISS for docking.

A Note:

RPM is known as the R Bar pitch maneuver, rotational pitch maneuver, rendezvous pitch maneuver...these all mean the same thing.

The R Bar is the radius vector created by a line drawn from the center of the ISS to the center of the earth.

Mark Kirkman
Mark Kirkman

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: 121's ISS dock/undock
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2006 03:00 AM »
Thanks for the clarification - with the number of typos / duplicate paragraphs / conflicting info it seems the Press Kit doesn't get much QC review!

- Rob

PS You should have a DELETE button in the upper-right of your previous post.

Tags: