Author Topic: LIVE: NASA ATREX - Wallops - Five launches in Five minutes - March 27  (Read 59733 times)

Offline block51

• Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 1
If you check out wallop's facebook page people have already started posting some pretty great pics of the launch and TMA trails as seen from all over the east coast.

http://www.facebook.com/NASAWFF

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
In a perfect world, we would have done this with the shuttle.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 147
A status summary: Looking good for the launches tonight. Launch window runs from 2am EDT through 5 am EDT.
Currently running a couple of MPH above the 20 MPH limit for removing the shelters from the rockets, but the forecast is for the ground winds which are the primary concern for tonight to die down as the night progresses. This is the reason for the later launch window which previously ran from midnight EDT through 3am EDT.

22 MPH winds at Wallops delayed the launches.  I hope the Antares can launch in 30 MPH winds.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 28

Absolutely impossible. Perfect and/or fake world.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4278
Heh. Asking if they want to get rid of the test rockets. "Nooooo way!" ;D

Right, need to go off to work. Thanks to Aaron for the help earlier.

Post launch article:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/03/nasa-atrex-launch-five-rockets-within-five-minutes/

Thanks for getting up so early to cover that Chris. That must have been painful! Hehe.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Online Chris Bergin

After the lack-of-sleep fun this morning, I'm kinda sad we don't have another go tonight. However, I do think we should cover sounding rockets a lot more, so if anyone knows when the next one is, we'll cover it.

Offline Rahkashi

Does anyone know what order they went in?

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 137
Re-reading my comments from early this morning, I can see that they sounded blasť, like I was disappointed that I didn't see the actual rockets.  That's true to an extent, but then again I made the choice to go to bed last night and not stay up to watch for them.  I was also a bit groggy, having only woken up minutes before.

I was excited all day at having seen the trails, and can't get over the fact that by sheer dumb luck I happened to wake up and look out the window at precisely the right moment to see the whole show.  If I had woken up five minutes earlier, I would probably have just gone to the bathroom and back to bed, assuming that it had already happened or else been scrubbed again.
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 484
  • Likes Given: 65
After the lack-of-sleep fun this morning, I'm kinda sad we don't have another go tonight. However, I do think we should cover sounding rockets a lot more, so if anyone knows when the next one is, we'll cover it.

At the end of the webcast they said the next launch is end of May/Start of June.
- Aaron

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 28
Does anyone know what order they went in?

From the NASA Wallops twitter feed:
Terrier Oriole
(First) Terrier Improved Malemute
(First) Terrier Improved Orion
(Second) Terrier Improved Malemute
(Second) Terrier Improved Orion

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH

Absolutely impossible. Perfect and/or fake world.

Of course... my fantasy world then.
« Last Edit: 03/28/2012 03:45 PM by mahannd »

Offline MarsInMyLifetime

• Austin, TX
    • Light of Day
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 137

NET June 2 for this event in your locale, Chris--way more than just 5 at a time:
http://www.festivalofrocketry.org/  ;D

I dare you to cover it!
Don

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 78

We could do with a sub orbital section for stuff like this and commercial sub orbital like virgin, mastern etc

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online Chris Bergin

Cool. Will keep an eye out for it.

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 78

Tags: